U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 01:38 PM

4,690 posts, read 1,991,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
two huge signs in front of our house and the old Park Place school that state "Yield to Peds in Crosswalk".
All of which will likely be joined in the near future by a school speed limit and the hefty fines & points which come from ignoring it. To which I say amen, given how many people roar down that stretch of Braddock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I might start carrying around an aluminum bat so I can let some cars know exactly how I feel about it.
Nah, just slap the car - that way when the idiot screeches to a halt and gets out, he's the one charged with simple assault, making terroristic threats, etc., etc.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:43 PM

3,920 posts, read 3,520,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Jaywalking is alive and well everywhere in Pittsburgh.

But I agree with SCR that most of Pittsburgh's jaywalkers are considerate of cars and dart across quickly.

Only a small percentage of our jaywalkers stop traffic by santering across the street in front of moving cars.
When some moron has the nerve to do that, I just blast the horn at them and flip out on them. It gets me angry when people do something as reckless as strolling across the street when I car with a green light is going down the street.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:44 PM

20,274 posts, read 18,703,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Nah, just slap the car - that way when the idiot screeches to a halt and gets out, he's the one charged with simple assault, making terroristic threats, etc., etc.
That's the point at which I want the bat.

Besides, it isn't my fault if he runs his vehicle into my bat (the aforementioned points about physics apply to a stationary bat and moving two-ton vehicle).

Old 03-28-2011, 01:48 PM

13,148 posts, read 10,691,587 times
Quote:
two huge signs in front of our house and the old Park Place school that state "Yield to Peds in Crosswalk".
I'm always surprised how many drivers completely ignore the crosswalks in Schenley Park. I cut through the park on the way to work, and I'm super aware of cyclists and joggers and pedestrians (it is a park, after all.)

Old 03-28-2011, 01:52 PM

4,931 posts, read 3,302,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
There's actually a mid-block crosswalk that is VERY well-marked along Forbes Avenue between Shady and Murray.
At which 75% of vehicles routinely fail to stop at, which I know because I lived a couple of blocks from Upstreet for ten years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I REFUSE to yield to any jaywalkers along that stretch of Forbes for that reason.
You're going to hit someone with your vehicle? I just want to be clear on that. You would actually hit someone who dared to walk in front of you?

Old 03-28-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'm always surprised how many drivers completely ignore the crosswalks in Schenley Park. I cut through the park on the way to work, and I'm super aware of cyclists and joggers and pedestrians (it is a park, after all.)
Yep, especially the crosswalk in front of Phipps. Commuters treat that road like a superhighway, and I can't count the times I've seen some poor mom with a stroller having to run to make it over to the Flagstaff Hill side.

In fact, there are several great spots around Phipps for a speed trap and it's a target-rich environment but I don't recall ever seeing a cruiser there.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:00 PM

9,886 posts, read 9,994,061 times
I've never known the city cops to run too many speed traps. It may happen, but I haven't seen it. It's more likely in the suburbs.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:04 PM

435 posts, read 434,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Yep, especially the crosswalk in front of Phipps. Commuters treat that road like a superhighway, and I can't count the times I've seen some poor mom with a stroller having to run to make it over to the Flagstaff Hill side.

In fact, there are several great spots around Phipps for a speed trap and it's a target-rich environment but I don't recall ever seeing a cruiser there.
My only speeding ticket ever in Pittsburgh was in front of Phipps. The police were using Vascar and there were more cars being pulled over than being allowed through. Now this was in 1994, so if they're on a 17-year cycle for trap locations, they are due. They won't get me this time, though. I hope I'm a better driver than I was then, and I certainly go slower in pedestrian zones now than I did when I was in college and knew everything .

Old 03-28-2011, 02:11 PM

3,191 posts, read 3,938,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I think I'll start smacking cars if they're going slow enough.

Putting all jokes aside, I have put my fist and foot print SOLIDLY in to the side of multiple vehicles over the past year. I also was running along East End Avenue last summer and this girl had just got in her car, sped away from her parking spot and went to make a right turn on to Brashear with.....me one foot in the cross walk. Adrenaline kicked in and she got blasted with my water bottle Nolan Ryan style. The sound was so loud a number of the residents came out to see if I was ok. It's amazing how these brave souls who think they can intimidate pedestrians become scared little wussies when confronted. And for those who still insist on ignoring pedestrians and their rights..........remember, that runner/walker, or pedestrian in general you see in your neighborhood, you know, the one that you thought you could scare by accelerating forcefully shortly after they cross? Yeah, they just might live in your neighborhood. And some have an extremely photographic memory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh