U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 08:15 AM

8,589 posts, read 6,737,153 times
I just checked and a ride from Pittsburgh to Philly this week (tomorrow coming back friday) was up to $74 RT. somebody is on these buses. (although DC was a much lower $26), $69 to NY. this service is probably also important to pittsburgh's immigration goals as inexpensive transportation is key. lest we forget this express bus service was initially brought to the US by immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 08:59 AM

4,541 posts, read 4,249,367 times
They will be adding more service to the East Coast Hubs...That will be announced around April/May..

They're going to need more service to NYC, Philly and DC, Pittsburgh alone is filling up the existing trips, once the transferring folks come on line it will be a real dog fight expect sell outs.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:18 AM

9,871 posts, read 8,534,209 times
Fridays and Sundays to/from Philly seem tough based on my recent searches. If you want to do a weekend it's best to try Saturday to Monday instead, recent searches for those just a couple weeks out turned up $20 RTs.

DC is newer and is not filling quite so much yet from what I can tell.

Also my colleague was told two things I haven't seen elsewhere. One is that the DC trip would add a stop in Frederick. That seems too close to the DC end to me; if they allow Frederick-DC trips or probably even Hagerstown-DC trips they're going to end up as a commuter service! (Although perhaps the timing of the buses will prevent that.) Also, she said they would start assigning seats. Any of this make sense to those with more direct info?

Old 03-29-2011, 10:11 AM

4,541 posts, read 4,249,367 times
DC seems to get expensive the closer the dates are.....so it probably does have room....NYC and Philly are filling up even with dates way out from today..I was looking at May for Philly and NYC already seeing 30$+ trips for 1-way, so those two will need more service without a doubt.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:04 PM

25,848 posts, read 44,069,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
That seems too close to the DC end to me; if they allow Frederick-DC trips or probably even Hagerstown-DC trips they're going to end up as a commuter service! (Although perhaps the timing of the buses will prevent that.)
Frederick County is indeed DC commuter territory, and there are now even people who live in Washington County, MD (Hagerstown Area) and commute into Montgomery County, MD for work. My uncle lives in Sharpsburg, MD and commutes to DC daily.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:25 PM

2,403 posts, read 1,863,899 times
Interesting additions... I'm surprised that they didn't expand to Chicago. I'd rather pay the few extra bucks for Amtrak but thats just me.. I'm sure people would still use the route to Chicago often. I was definitely surprised by Cincinnati. I am REALLY happy about Detroit and Toronto. (Yes, I do love visiting Detroit.)

Old 03-29-2011, 01:45 PM

3,696 posts, read 3,117,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I suspect Chicago will get added eventually. Meanwhile--we are getting direct service to Toronto! That's awesome.
I'm excited about this one. I love going to Toronto and Canada in general and would go up there a lot more if I had a car of my own to go on weekends. With this however, this makes going to Toronto a lot more affordable and viable. I'm curious how the stop at the border would work and how long that would take also.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:50 PM

3,696 posts, read 3,117,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I just checked and a ride from Pittsburgh to Philly this week (tomorrow coming back friday) was up to $74 RT. somebody is on these buses. (although DC was a much lower $26), $69 to NY. this service is probably also important to pittsburgh's immigration goals as inexpensive transportation is key. lest we forget this express bus service was initially brought to the US by immigrants.
I highly doubt Megabus will suddenly cause immigrants to choose Pittsburgh. Immigrants move where there are already a lot of their kind and where they can find jobs and Pittsburgh really doesn't offer much of either to poorer immigrants. Megabus was also not brought to the US by immigrants, as it was introduced to the US through Coach USA which is owned by a British company.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:18 PM

8,589 posts, read 6,737,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I highly doubt Megabus will suddenly cause immigrants to choose Pittsburgh. Immigrants move where there are already a lot of their kind and where they can find jobs and Pittsburgh really doesn't offer much of either to poorer immigrants. Megabus was also not brought to the US by immigrants, as it was introduced to the US through Coach USA which is owned by a British company.
I disagree, cheap transportation is important in immigrants getting around which is why these cheap buses were started by immigrants. it's not about "suddenly causing" and more about "increasing the flow" and setting up "the infrastructure." immigrants move for opportunity and, well, if the turnaround is to be believed, there's more opportunity.

as for your point, you are confusing megabus with express bus service. express bus service started in chinatown not by megabus. If I'm not mistaken, the first routes were between Philly and NY's chinatowns. they were the pioneers of the industry. soon they found college kids and even yuppies on their buses. the number of competitors exploded. this change is what forced greyhound into bankruptcy. the megabus model is just a variation on this theme and they are much better capitalized.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:47 PM

9,871 posts, read 8,534,209 times
It's true that in some ways Megabus is akin to the Chinatown bus companies, but it's not like they came out of nowhere copying it. Megabus has been operating this kind of service under that name in the UK since 2003. That's where the $1 idea comes from, for example.

I would venture that the Chinatown buses exist because of existing populations more than they helped spread the populations. The main need there was to be cheap; it's not like there wasn't decent express transport options between NY and Boston or NY and Philly or whatever, but they weren't 10 bucks each way or such.

Megabus exploits a similar model to be sure, but one that can work outside the east coast north/south routes. It is helped by the fact that air travel is such a pain in the a$$ now; this plus new buses with wifi draws in clientele that otherwise wouldn't consider a bus. The fact that it's express as opposed to serving some smaller places in between means the scheduled time can compete fairly well with driving yourself, something Amtrak can't do outside the NE Corridor. There are efficiencies gained by already owning a large charter operation (Coach USA). And then there's the price of gas. 10 years ago this bus service wouldn't be such a hit, but the time is ripe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh