U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 06:50 PM

4,633 posts, read 4,495,069 times
Well whether you like it or not...they're coming....My Co-worker/good friend and her husband want out of NYC ASAP, ever since I brought them to Pittsburgh they were sold immediately and they've been back 3 times scouring open houses in Aspinwall, Point Breeze and Highland Park....Aspinwall is there 1st choice of where they want to be....

And since I've been home over the last year or so, is it just me or is there this melting pot of license plates from across the USA settling down in the Burgh...I think I've seen almost every state of the lower 48 atleast twice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 07:17 PM

1,437 posts, read 1,385,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Well whether you like it or not...they're coming....My Co-worker/good friend and her husband want out of NYC ASAP, ever since I brought them to Pittsburgh they were sold immediately and they've been back 3 times scouring open houses in Aspinwall, Point Breeze and Highland Park....Aspinwall is there 1st choice of where they want to be....

And since I've been home over the last year or so, is it just me or is there this melting pot of license plates from across the USA settling down in the Burgh...I think I've seen almost every state of the lower 48 atleast twice.
Most of them are probably rental cars, actually.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:20 PM

1,758 posts, read 2,329,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Pittsburgh needs all the transplants it can get -- it doesn't matter where they come from. Like the article says, the city is half empty. Sure, the East End is pretty packed, but what about the rest of the city? If any of you saw the census numbers, we need to get people moving here, pronto!

I do take offense to the jab at our downtown hotels in the article. So the Fairmont is the only decent hotel? What do you call the beautiful William Penn and Renaissance hotels?
Plenty of Room in The Strip, Uptown, and The North Shore/North Side. These three adjacent neighborhoods plus Downtown could probably accomodate another, say 50 to 60 thousand? This will really create a critcal mass of people right in the Downtown area, which is needed. There is a lot of property to do so. Let's hope the demand is actually there. Of course, many people want to move to Pittsburgh because they want to be in established, walkable neighborhoods with stately homes, as opposed to some new townhouse in the Strip. Of course, The Strip would be a nice place in which to live if they do the planned improvements that are slated for Smallman Street etc.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:00 PM

1,494 posts, read 3,060,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
We don't need transplants who want to turn Pittsburgh into a hellhole like New York City.
I totally agree. I live right across NYC in NJ and I can't wait to get the hell away from this area and closer to Pittsburgh

Old 03-30-2011, 08:03 PM

171 posts, read 331,037 times
I'm an ex new yorker born and raised who now lives in Pittsburgh. I agree with the article and they actually used the same exact comparisons I did like lawrenceville/williamsburgh and strip district/meat packing district. I think the burgh is at where NYC was in the late 90's. Perfect time to buy and invest here. And I'm all about keeping the vibe here the same... I DO NOT want it to turn it into what NYC is now...

Old 03-30-2011, 08:25 PM

3,893 posts, read 3,759,092 times
Can you guys be more specific about what you don't want Pittsburgh to become? You say you don't want Pittsburgh to become New York, but what is it specifically about NYC that you dislike?

Old 03-30-2011, 08:30 PM

4,633 posts, read 4,495,069 times
Ok - specifically

The Oppressive COL
Wall2Wall Pretentious, Superficial and Fake attitudes
INSANE Taxes (a 100k year salary pays more like a 70k year job)
Tooooo Crowded and congested
and Bums everywhere.

NYC today and NYC of the 90's are two completely different cities....I loved the NYC of 90's

Old 03-30-2011, 09:03 PM

1,398 posts, read 798,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
We don't need transplants who want to turn Pittsburgh into a hellhole like New York City.
Really? I'm guessing that you haven't been there since 1973 or you wouldn't say that. NYC's an amazing city and do you think that 8 million people would live there if it was actually a hell-hole? Granted it's expensive but people are willing to pay a lot of money just to live there.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:25 PM

20,274 posts, read 17,937,512 times
In all seriousness, I think there is a lot to like about NYC, and I have no problem with people moving here from there.

That said, NYC is really, really expensive. Pittsburgh is a long way from there, but I think prices could get out of hand faster than some people think if Pittsburgh experienced a real population boom. I'm not predicting that, but I do think the goal should be moderate growth, not explosive growth, such that new development can comfortably keep pace.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:23 AM

26,089 posts, read 45,334,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I so agree! There's nothing worse than people who move to your town and then immediately want to change it. Why move to a city if you don't love it the way it is?
That's precisely why I finally decided to just pick up and leave NoVA. I spent a year-and-a-half complaining about how that area was all wrong for ME (even though it was apparently perfect for most others there). I then realized NoVA would never evolve into some sort of walkable, affordable, hip paradise, so I found my own version of a walkable, affordable, hip paradise elsewhere. I'm happier now than I've ever been. Some on the NoVA sub-forum seem to have this "bloom wherever you are planted" aura about them, but I firmly DO believe that if you are such a bad fit in an area it can impact your overall health. My depression has nearly fully abated since moving here---I've had only a couple of "down" days since November 2010 (and that's normal for a non-depressive person). It wasn't fair of me to try to "improve" NoVA, and I now realize it came off as being very offensive of me to imply there was anything wrong with those who love the sprawling suburbia that is NoVA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh