U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 07:15 PM

12,345 posts, read 13,980,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
We've got the guns, you've got the talk.
My Cousin has a cannon on his PA farm.....actually a set of them.... We have Global power , what do you have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 08:19 PM

8,501 posts, read 7,750,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Actually i don't see a New Yorker influx , NYC Region is adding more jobs then the Pittsburgh Region , so is the DC and Boston region......you can dream all you want in the Burgh but were not going come over there in droves maybe to the DC / Philly region...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
...and that's the way we like it!
Quote:
LOL someone just insulting me via rep , very classy citizens you have..... Still couldn't handle us Northeasterns.....to soft...

Lighten up, Francis, I was only kidding. I have a good frat buddy that grew up in Hoboken, loves NY, and as a cameraman working on the L & O franchise, he'll never move. He likes the action an the 24/7 of the City.

I don't see a NY influx either, we're too far from the coast.

But I hate the stinkin' Yankees!

Old 03-31-2011, 10:33 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,834,000 times
Quote:
Actually i don't see a New Yorker influx , NYC Region is adding more jobs then the Pittsburgh Region , so is the DC and Boston region......you can dream all you want in the Burgh but were not going come over there in droves maybe to the DC / Philly region...

Please NYC has a huge outward migration and no it isn't adding more jobs......I live there and show me where NYC is creating all these jobs..the big NYC companies are relocating operations that dont need to be in NYC due to Butt raping taxes and the high COL and Healthcare on employees to be in NYC...

Bank of NY Mellon for example is moving hoards of jobs from NYC to the Burgh...last count was something like 200 jobs moved.

Like others have said...You may not see an influx of the Superficial 24/7 Hollywood "I wanna be a celebritiy NY'ers and screw supermodels" moving to the Burgh...of course not because Pittsburgh isn't for the fakes...But the working/middle class folks that are being push out of NYC sure there's a significant number decending on Pittsburgh...

If Pittsburgh was so-insignificant to NYC...why has all its major new publications wrote gleaming infatuating stories about it..in cases like the NYT 2 and 3 times over?

Old 04-01-2011, 12:09 AM

13,015 posts, read 19,943,357 times
When I lived in NYC, there were only 2 other cites that NYC talked about moving to, the transplant to NY person talked about maybe moving to San Francisco. The NY person talked about maybe moving to Miami. The 'actor' type talked about L.A.

I think really the only person that Pittsburgh would attract would be the type that is equally interested in San Francisco, but doesn't want to pay that high cost of living there either. Actually I fit into that category - hence why I've always liked Pittsburgh, plus I'm from a regionally similar area.

But to your average NYers, if you aren't California or Florida....than you are in that abstract grey area of the U.S., that most NYers lack the interest in it, and probably completely gloss over any pro-Pittsburgh article, with an abstract 'somewhere in that gray area, it is cheaper' knowledge from it, than tries to move to North Carolina for that, but equally considers better weather.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:14 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,901,765 times
Quote:
I agree that NYC is likely to remain an attractive place for many people, which is fine.

But I do think you are overlooking what is probably the main point, which is that the cost of living is much, much lower in Pittsburgh. In particular, you can get reasonably-sized, centrally-located places for shockingly low prices by NYC standards. And as the article explains, while Pittsburgh is not identical to NYC, in many ways it resembles a mini-NYC, and so could have some overlapping appeal.

Again, not all people are going to find that proposition attractive. In fact, I assume the vast majority of New Yorkers will in fact choose to remain New Yorkers. But looking at this from a Pittsburgh perspective, it wouldn't actually take a very large percentage of New Yorkers to decide to try out Pittsburgh in order for there to be a noticeable effect on this end.

Personally, I see this as somewhat analogous to the cities which are near California. I have relatives in Oregon, for example, and there are a noticeable amount of people from California who have moved to those areas--in fact, some of my relatives are among them! From the California end, cities like San Francisco and LA remain very popular, which is absolutely correct. But from the Oregon end, the small percentage of former Californians who have opted for a lower-cost lifestyle have nonetheless had a significant impact.

So to me that is the question--will Pittsburgh become the Portland to New York's San Francisco? As of now, the psychological barriers to moving off the coast and inland may be preventing that from happening. But the Pittsburgh of today is not the Pittsburgh of 20 years ago, and meanwhile the cost difference is growing, and an increasing number of articles like this are basically making the case that perhaps East Coasties should stop lumping Pittsburgh in with the rest of "flyover country". Old attitudes die hard, but again, it wouldn't take much of a change in attitudes from a New York perspective to have a significant impact on the Pittsburgh end.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:26 AM

12,345 posts, read 13,980,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post

Please NYC has a huge outward migration and no it isn't adding more jobs......I live there and show me where NYC is creating all these jobs..the big NYC companies are relocating operations that dont need to be in NYC due to Butt raping taxes and the high COL and Healthcare on employees to be in NYC...

Bank of NY Mellon for example is moving hoards of jobs from NYC to the Burgh...last count was something like 200 jobs moved.

Like others have said...You may not see an influx of the Superficial 24/7 Hollywood "I wanna be a celebritiy NY'ers and screw supermodels" moving to the Burgh...of course not because Pittsburgh isn't for the fakes...But the working/middle class folks that are being push out of NYC sure there's a significant number decending on Pittsburgh...

If Pittsburgh was so-insignificant to NYC...why has all its major new publications wrote gleaming infatuating stories about it..in cases like the NYT 2 and 3 times over?
Actually we are adding jobs , mostly construction and Corporate. But the Satilite cities are adding alot of small business jobs.... One city created over 300 in the past 4 months...... The Satilite Cities are starting to overtake NYC though....

Old 04-01-2011, 07:57 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,834,000 times
Anything to back that up????

Old 04-01-2011, 08:51 AM

1,547 posts, read 964,852 times
I see Pittsburgh more of a mini-Chicago than a mini-NYC; in the history, the people, even the architecture. Which is the way I like it, to be honest.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:06 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,514,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
I see Pittsburgh more of a mini-Chicago than a mini-NYC; in the history, the people, even the architecture. Which is the way I like it, to be honest.
Pittsburgh doesn't remind me of Chicago at all.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:23 PM

20,274 posts, read 18,901,765 times
Chicago is very Great Lakes. Pittsburgh isn't really Northeast Coast, but it isn't Great Lakes either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh