U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 01:17 PM

8,907 posts, read 7,872,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
ticket sales this year at the gorgeous PNC Park are already up 2.4 percent and are 14 percent ahead of the sales pace set in 2010
Pirates, nearly .500, seeing boost in attendance at PNC Park | HardballTalk
Quote:
Through 25 home games this season, the Pirates are averaging 20,196 fans in attendance. That's an 18.6 percent improvement through 25 games over the 2010 attendance. The Pirates were 23-31, overall, at this point in 2010, as opposed to their 28-29 record after Saturday's game.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_pit&c_id=pit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 01:47 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,042,747 times
I went in April for an afternoon game when the Bucs playes San Fran. Even though I'm not a baseball fan it's a fun time. It was a little too sunny for me but there were enough empty seats there I just moved under the overhang into the shade. My ticket was $20 but with a $10 food voucher so for $10 can't beat that with a stick.
Here's a photo I took from PNC the previous summer. It really has enough enjoyable panoramic views so you're not stuck actually having to watch the game! LOL!

Last edited by rhondee; 06-07-2011 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: when the Bucs PLAYED-not playes-Sorry! (worked all night so I wind up making spelling errors during the day!

Old 06-08-2011, 08:15 PM

Pirates not in bottom five in attendance...like Cleveland
2011 MLB Attendance - Major League Baseball - ESPN

Old 06-08-2011, 08:24 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Pirates not in bottom five in attendance...like Cleveland
2011 MLB Attendance - Major League Baseball - ESPN
What is pathetic is Cleveland is leading their division and Tampa is also very competitive, despite their fire sale in the off season. The real surprise on that list is Toronto. They use to average in the up 40K range, now near the bottom.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:15 PM

Toronto is like Pittsburgh in reverse....they suffered when they were moved from the central to the east. Florida and Tampa should be relegated to a carribean league

Old 06-09-2011, 11:33 AM

485 posts, read 924,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Toronto is like Pittsburgh in reverse....they suffered when they were moved from the central to the east. Florida and Tampa should be relegated to a carribean league
Toronto was never in the Central.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy36win View Post
Toronto was never in the Central.
You're right...rather its rivals left the east for the central while Toronto remained in the east. The pirates,prohibited,left its rivals in the east for the newly created central.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:11 PM

425 posts, read 564,061 times
While I am a Mets fan, I started to like the Pirates as a kid just because I had a Pirates baseball card were they were wearing the throwback flat top caps, and thought it was cool. So I asked my Dad to buy me a Pirates hat, and I would follow them in the box scores (since I lived in NY, had no cable, and Al Gore had yet to invent the internet) it was the only way I could know what was going on with my "other" team.

the combo of the two over the last two years has been rough...LOL...while my reactions are stronger to what the mets do, since they are the team I followed all my life (Dad was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan, and then Mets fan) it's been a rough decade!

I think the Bucs are headed in the right direction, they are a year away from breaking out like KC has done this year. They need Pedro Alverez to get healthy and get swinging a good bat, they have a ton of good pitching in the pipeline and they already have some good arms on the team now, Charlie Morton is looking real good.

I visited Pittsburg the year PNC Park opened, and it's still my favorite park. I can tell Mets took some cues from it, but the surrounding area in Flushing is nothing close to beautiful downtown Pittsburgh, Clemente Bridge & the river.

Hopefully they set aside some of the money they spend on scouting and international signings, to hold onto their home grown talent when their contracts are up. Neil Walker is the man!

in fact my like of both teams can be summed up in my favorite baseball card I own, my bowman Ralph Kiner rookie card, the great Pirate home run king, and voice of the Mets since day 1.

Hope they turn it around for you hometown Pittsburgh fans, you are a great sports city and the die hards who support the franchise through 18+ awful seasons deserve a championship!

Old 06-09-2011, 12:13 PM

the mets should have been in brooklyn, the hell with moses.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:13 PM

111 posts, read 97,265 times
then this will make some of you happy

Here's the MLB.com All-Star Game 2011 Ballot
Pirates Ticket Offer We Promised You
Thank you for voting for the MLB® All-Star Game 2011 at MLB.com and selecting the Pirates as a "favorite" or "other favorite" Club. As a special thank you for your vote you can receive a 50% discount on tickets in locations valued up to $20.00 - Outfield Box seats to one (1) select eligible Sunday through Thursday home game of your choice.
all you got to do is select Pirates for the entire all star team and boom, they do need the fans support and come on even the Steelers had some real bad years and the fans was still there at the games, the 80's was dark time for Pittsburgh until the Pens pulled us out of it, and then the Pirates made it to the WS in '92, they can do this again, just show them that support, you see if you do not attend games how are they going to be able to consider getting any real good talent or able to offer more if they do not have the support of the fans, and sometimes when a player sees that support and everyone is cheering for him than he finds something inside that turns him into a great player because players are everywhere it is the fans that make the team great and inspire them to give a few percent more, never underestimate fan attendance when it comes to winning games, because if you feel unappreciated at work do you bust your butt for them or do you bide your time till you find a better job where they will appreciate you, hmm.
Support your hometown teams for they can give such great memories plus when the field is filled with fans it intimidates the visiting team and they get nervous and start making mistakes, think about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh