Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 07:59 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,268,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Your landlady is legally required to provide heat and hot water. You need to demand those things. I would not continue paying rent on a place that did not provide heat and hot water. Regardless of how cheap it is, it's not worth living like that.
I DO have heat---it's just drafty. I get luke-warm water---not hot water. My theory is that I have such limited hot water because she pays the water bill for the property---not me---and she tries to make sure I take shorter showers. LOL! I still wouldn't trade this place for anywhere, though. Being walking distance to so much for just $550/month is incredible. I was paying just under $1,200/month in Reston's Uplands neighborhood, where I could easily walk to not much of interest, really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 09:13 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,046,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I DO have heat---it's just drafty. I get luke-warm water---not hot water. My theory is that I have such limited hot water because she pays the water bill for the property---not me---and she tries to make sure I take shorter showers. LOL! I still wouldn't trade this place for anywhere, though. Being walking distance to so much for just $550/month is incredible. I was paying just under $1,200/month in Reston's Uplands neighborhood, where I could easily walk to not much of interest, really.
Why can't you just turn up the hot water heater?

Old 04-07-2011, 09:24 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,684,892 times
Quote:
My theory is that I have such limited hot water because she pays the water bill for the property---not me---and she tries to make sure I take shorter showers.
As someone who is very familiar with tenant/landlord relationships and old Pittsburgh housing, be aware that she can not do that, even if she is footing the bill.

You can find similarly priced housing with hot water and heating in other places in the city, that is if you don't mind living in less "desirable" parts of town.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Why can't you just turn up the hot water heater?
There is no hot water heater. My rowhome is 100+ years old, after all.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:46 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,403,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Perhaps the weather will improve by then! April and May can have some sunny days in Pittsburgh without rain, a few of them anyway. Don't expect anything but gray days from October until mid April, at best. Summers are very hot and humid. A/C is very necessary, but many of the older homes don't have it. Personally, I can't imagine why you would like the weather in Pittsburgh. Perhaps you are fond of gray with rain/sleet/ice?
I love snow, storms, cold winters, mild to warm summers, and occasional blue sky in the winter (but not all the time blue sky... I do love winter gray skies )

Old 04-07-2011, 09:48 AM

29,627 posts, read 34,103,329 times
Quote:
There is no hot water heater. My rowhome is 100+ years old, after all.
So where does your hot water come from? A mysterious hot spring?

My house is 90 years old, and I have a water heater.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 04-07-2011 at 10:01 AM..

Old 04-07-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
So where does your hot water come from? A mysterious hot spring?
I only saw an old furnace down in the cellar and assumed that heated the water somehow. There certainly can't be an independent hot water heater down there, and if it is it must only hold like 10 gallons, if that.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:16 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,538,456 times
It might not be down there then. Sometimes the water heaters are on other floor(s) of the house. If there are split units they might even each have separate water heaters. Is your heat via radiator or forced air? Even if it's radiator, there wouldn't be potable water going through that system, I don't think. (At least, there shouldn't be.)

The other possibility is that they went to a tankless, but that seems unlikely as they are expensive. The trouble with tankless (especially older ones) can be that it doesn't raise the temp enough when the incoming water is really cold, like in the winter.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:02 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,869,081 times
It is not yet mid-April, and yet today I saw a fire burning in the sky. Oh sky gods, how have we angered you?

Old 04-08-2011, 12:04 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,922,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
I love snow, storms, cold winters, mild to warm summers, and occasional blue sky in the winter (but not all the time blue sky... I do love winter gray skies )
You need to move to Colorado or Maine or Vermont. Pittsburgh does not have mild summers and it's rare to see a blue sky in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh