U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-06-2011, 10:52 AM

3 posts, read 2,586 times

Advertisements

Wilkinsburg is not far for PITT students -- the express bus way runs right through Wilkinsburg and you can get to Oakland in about 7 minutes on a bus.

In addition, Wilkinsburg is perfectly SAFE...for ANYBODY. I've lived here for 5 years and have NEVER had a problem. The problems DO lie in the drugging and the kids, but if you don't associate with them, you're unlikely to have a problem.

Wilkinsburg is a neighborhood, unlike Oakland, where people come together and look out for one another, and in that sense it is much safer than Oakland.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 06:28 PM

548 posts, read 330,384 times
As another Park Place resident, I agree with what people like Brian and Squarian are saying. In the end it's up to what you and your daughter and her friends and friends' parents are comfortable with. It's a very diverse area, both in terms of class and race, and some people are not used to that and have a difficult time handling it. But safety-wise, the normal common-sense rules apply. I'm not going to say that they would be immune to any and all crimes while living there, but in 20 years of living in this area, I've had one bike stolen and one car broken into (and it was a 15-year-old car that was clearly on its last legs, more often the target for low-level car thieves than nicer, newer vehicles). Not bad odds.

I will say that the biggest problem with this location is not the safety of it, but the relative remoteness of it. It's a 10-15 minute walk to Forbes and Braddock or the Hamnett St. Busway stop, plus the Regent Square business district is a hike from there. GetGo and the Wood St. businesses would do in a pinch for essentials, they're not really places to hang out. As Barneyg mentioned, affordable rentals can usually be found in the Regent Square area of Wilkinsburg, within minutes of the Braddock Ave. businesses and 61B bus to Oakland, plus the proximity to Frick Park. In short, I would sacrifice living in an actual house for the better location, but that's just me.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:30 PM

10 posts, read 19,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
According to that map the area in question is on the border between Greater Park Place ("good") and Peebles Square ("in transition"), and that is a fair enough description.
What do you mean by "in transition"? Are those parts transitioning from "good" to "in decline" or the other way around?

I was looking into the areas of Kelly West and Peebles Square. Are those in decline?

Old 06-04-2011, 11:44 PM

981 posts, read 708,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curioso View Post
What do you mean by "in transition"? Are those parts transitioning from "good" to "in decline" or the other way around?

I was looking into the areas of Kelly West and Peebles Square. Are those in decline?

They are considered to be transitioning form "in decline" to "good". Both areas are mostly poor and working class minorities. There is some crime, but it's mostly property crime.

If the place on Lamar you mentioned in another thread, is near the Hay Recreation Area, than that would be a much nicer area.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
They are considered to be transitioning form "in decline" to "good". Both areas are mostly poor and working class minorities. There is some crime, but it's mostly property crime.

If the place on Lamar you mentioned in another thread, is near the Hay Recreation Area, than that would be a much nicer area.
Yes, I am inquiring about that area in the other post. But according to maps that other people (see link below) have been posting in CD, that block of Lamar (4th block) is either in Kelly West or Peebles Square. But you said that in those areas live poor people and that there is property crime. Are you sure it's a nice area?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/17641643-post7.html

Last edited by curioso; 06-05-2011 at 12:16 AM.. Reason: include a link to the neighborhood map

Old 06-05-2011, 12:40 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,231,735 times
Quote:
Yes, I am inquiring about that area in the other post. But according to maps that other people (see link below) have been posting in CD, that block of Lamar (4th block) is either in Kelly West or Peebles Square. But you said that in those areas live poor people and that there is property crime. Are you sure it's a nice area?

Wilkinsburg is an area that's more of place to discover yourself and draw your own opinions. The urban pioneer types on here will say it's fine and the old time Pittsburghers will say it's a bad area (and they'll both say the other side doesn't know what they're talking about). My advice would be to spend some time in the area itself and see how you like it personally.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Wilkinsburg is an area that's more of place to discover yourself and draw your own opinions. The urban pioneer types on here will say it's fine and the old time Pittsburghers will say it's a bad area (and they'll both say the other side doesn't know what they're talking about). My advice would be to spend some time in the area itself and see how you like it personally.
I know that a big part of Wilkinsburg is full of crime. The part I am inquiring about is very close to Regent Square (RS). It's advertised as RS, but I am sure it's not. I am not looking for an overall assessment of Wilkinsburg, just of the neighborhoods that I read are not in decline and that are close to RS.

Hope that helps to clarify what I am asking about (which does not seem to be what you are replying to)

Old 06-05-2011, 04:08 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,892,631 times
Quote:

It is a little hard to see in that map, but the border between Whitney Park and Kelly West in that map is Biddle, so Lamar is in Whitney Park.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
The urban pioneer types on here will say it's fine and the old time Pittsburghers will say it's a bad area (and they'll both say the other side doesn't know what they're talking about).
Actually, the people who in fact live there will tell you that Wilkinsburg has a lot of different parts and so can't be described in any one way.

You don't need to be an urban pioneer type to live in the Regent Square part of Wilkinsburg. And that is also true of Whitney Park.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:13 AM

Quote:
I know that a big part of Wilkinsburg is full of crime. The part I am inquiring about is very close to Regent Square (RS). It's advertised as RS, but I am sure it's not. I am not looking for an overall assessment of Wilkinsburg, just of the neighborhoods that I read are not in decline and that are close to RS. Hope that helps to clarify what I am asking about (which does not seem to be what you are replying to)
You are approaching this in the right way--overall impressions of Wilkinsburg aren't going to help you (or anyone else for that matter). But give those of us who live in the area a specific block, and we can likely tell you something helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh