Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 02:25 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,572,058 times

Advertisements

Can someone please explain to me what is currently going on with property reassessment? Specifically, I am looking at some of the more expensive homes (500k-800k or so) in the East End, there is some variability but most of these currently have taxes in the 8k to 14k range currently which is generally about 1.5-1.8% of the current listing price/year. If you apply the current tax rates for the city of Pittsburgh (which is about 2.95% of the 2002 value) on the listing price which is presumably more or less the amount the house is currently worth, the tax goes up by a lot, 1.5-2x as much. The changes the calculation as to what is and isn't affordable significantly as the same monthly payment buys you 10-15% less house.

I understand the basics of the current base year system and in theory the anti windfall law... but does anyone understand what the practical implications of this actually are yet? I would imagine in the city you have more of the mixed property values with some going up and some going down as compared to say Mt. Lebo which is a little more homogenous and likely (barring significant home improvements) homes appreciated similiarly. If we don't know yet, is there some point that we will know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 02:51 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,001,421 times
Unfortunately we can only make an informed guess at total appreciation in any given jurisdiction until they release the actual numbers.

If I had to guess, I would guess the total appreciation in the City of Pittsburgh is going to be around 30% to 40%, and the new tax rate will end up around 2.15% to 2.3%. That just happens to roughly split the difference between what those properties in question are currently paying and what they would end up paying after the assessment but without a tax rate reduction.

Again, you have to apply a large margin of error to guesses like this. On the other hand, I'm not just pulling that out of nowhere--there are many different sources for estimating total appreciation from 2002 to 2010, and something like 30-40% is a reasonable estimate given those sources.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:35 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
We will know the situation in July, unless we get lucky and there is a delay. It is a crap shoot and some people will lose their homes. I am sure some property owners are going to get crushed, unless they have connections.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:57 AM

802 posts, read 1,320,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
We will know the situation in July, unless we get lucky and there is a delay. It is a crap shoot and some people will lose their homes. I am sure some property owners are going to get crushed, unless they have connections.
It sounds like Pittsburgh's property tax assessments are just as screwed up as the system where I live.

The only difference is, from what I am reading in the posts on this topic, that the school district has more power and influence over appeals and assessments.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:11 AM

The base-year system is indeed a screwy one, and it actually took a court order to get this reassessment.

But ultimately, the fundamental problem is relying too much on property taxes for the funding of local governments and schools. Even an ideal assessment system can't overcome that problem.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:01 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,572,058 times
So July 2011 is the (current) target date for an update on this situation?

Old 04-06-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong477 View Post
So July 2011 is the (current) target date for an update on this situation?
Sorta. As I recall, property owners are supposed to get preliminary assessments in the mail in July through September. Then there will be some hearings and perhaps adjustments. Final assessments will be certified in January of 2012. And I actually have no idea when we will find out how the tax rates will be changed.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:03 AM

5 posts, read 8,151 times
In UK, now is a best time for property reassessment. It’s time to save tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh