Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 04:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Of course at that point you are getting into the pre-car era.
So? The city (Beaver Falls) has sidewalks, and it's older yet (1868).

That's really funny. "It's the older suburbs that have sidewalks". "No, that suburb is *too* old for sidewalks."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 04:20 PM

14,185 posts, read 22,725,360 times
I can confirm that most suburban-style subdivisions around Athens, GA have no sidewalks. Whether it's suburbs without sidewalks, sports fanaticism, racism, bad weather, etc., can we please stop pretending that "it's a 'Burgh thing" when it's really not? Please?

Old 04-07-2011, 05:05 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,643,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Whether it's suburbs without sidewalks, sports fanaticism, racism, bad weather, etc., can we please stop pretending that "it's a 'Burgh thing" when it's really not? Please?
Ha! Good point.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:42 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,001,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So? The city (Beaver Falls) has sidewalks, and it's older yet (1868).
I know there are original cement sidewalks as old as the 1860s in some places. Of course, lots of places that did not have sidewalks originally later added them.

Generally, I wasn't claiming there were no sidewalks in existence in the 1890s, but lots of streets at that time weren't even paved, particularly if they were outside cities. If such streets had sidewalks at all, they might well be made of boards rather than cement.

The advent of widespread automobile use led to the widespread extension of paved streets into the rapidly growing suburbs. Meanwhile, it wasn't until the 1890s or so that the U.S. started producing a lot of its own portland cement (before that, a lot it was being imported). The "modern" sidewalk--made of poured concrete and elevated next to a paved road--thus only really started to become widespread in the early 20th Century, even though as noted they existed in some places somewhat earlier.

Quote:
That's really funny. "It's the older suburbs that have sidewalks". "No, that suburb is *too* old for sidewalks."
I don't know if you are trying to make jokes, but I believe my statement was that it was a matter of "era". From the early 20th Century into the 1950s or so, the modern sidewalk was a standard feature of suburbs. As everyone in those various threads are noting, they somewhat fell out of favor for a couple decades, as suburbs were spreading out and becoming increasingly autocentric. They then started becoming more standard again in the late 1980s and on.

But again, that doesn't mean EVERY neighborhoods developed in the 1960s or 1970s lacked sidewalks, and they also could have added sidewalks since then even if they didn't have them originally.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:20 PM

875 posts, read 1,489,164 times
Hell, I'll take even wider shoulders in the Pittsburgh suburbs. I swear, there are cases on some MAJOR roads where the shoulder (beyond the white painted line) is about two feet wide. You can't run/walk on that and add rumble strips to that equation and that makes for some stressful cycling too.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:44 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
That sounds like the RIDC Park in O'Hara Township. Thousands of people must work there, yet there isn't a sidewalk in sight. It makes absolutely no sense to me. I've made deliveries there before and feel sorry for the office workers who have to scurry around in the streets.
At lunch hour I notice that one whole lane of traffic is taken up by people walking and getting some air. It is sad there is no sidewalks there. At least around the main loop so people can walk at lunchtime.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:58 AM

875 posts, read 1,489,164 times
I grew up in Indiana Township near PA Rt.910. I find it funny that how just recently after the stretch has been resurfaced from the Rt. 28 interchange to Saxonburg Blvd. that its wide shoulders make a REALLY nice bike lanes. They're probably wide enough for safe walking/running as well. I just find this ironic because the speed limit on most of this stretch is 45mph and one would presume too high of a speed to be safe for such things, but the wide shoulders really make the difference. I think this is something other boroughs and townships should take note.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:27 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,948,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Because most people don't want to live in dense housing.

From the survey...

"Living in a single-family, detached home is important to most Americans. Eight in ten (80%) would prefer to live in single-family, detached houses over other types of housing such as townhouses, condominiums, or apartments."

I think we will start to see some of them change within next 10 years to include some mixed zoning.
Why no sidewalks? Where we lived in Vienna was ALL residential and every house had sidewalks. I don't understand why other suburbs wouldn't have sidewalks. Reston had walking paths everywhere.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:50 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Why no sidewalks? Where we lived in Vienna was ALL residential and every house had sidewalks. I don't understand why other suburbs wouldn't have sidewalks. Reston had walking paths everywhere.
$$$. It seems like if something that would improve their quality-of-living costs one dime Pittsburghers don't want it.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:57 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,068,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Sidewalks are one of those things that go in and out of fashion. The current group demands them, but their children will want just the opposite. And so on and so on. It makes sense to me that older neighborhoods wouldn't have them, but neighborhoods even older than that would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh