U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-05-2011, 08:57 PM
gg

11,290 posts, read 7,482,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaumecpdx View Post
Smokin Hot!!!
I couldn't resist. Sometimes the mood needs to be lightened up a bit.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:51 AM

4,391 posts, read 3,030,177 times
Smoking is disgusting and foul. Yet I don't ever want to see it banned because destroying people's rights is much worse than catching a whiff of some smoke every now and then. I mean, just because I don't agree with something doesn't mean it should be banned, unless I unknowingly moved to a different country somewhere along the line.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:00 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Smoking is disgusting and foul. Yet I don't ever want to see it banned because destroying people's rights is much worse than catching a whiff of some smoke every now and then. I mean, just because I don't agree with something doesn't mean it should be banned, unless I unknowingly moved to a different country somewhere along the line.
I think in buildings the ban was needed. I don't think it is fair to those that don't smoke to be forced to breath in that drug that the weak are addicted to. I have no problem with smoking rooms for the weak. That is what you see in Europe pretty often. They put them in a little cage like room and let them smoke while the rest of us can enjoy a meal or a drink without our eyes watering and our lungs burning. I think chewing tobacco is fine because it doesn't effect me other than when those that chew smile.

Smoking indoors is really a violation of other's personal space. Also people employed by bars and restaurants shouldn't have to breath all that crap in.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:07 AM

4,391 posts, read 3,030,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I think in buildings the ban was needed. I don't think it is fair to those that don't smoke to be forced to breath in that drug that the weak are addicted to. I have no problem with smoking rooms for the weak. That is what you see in Europe pretty often. They put them in a little cage like room and let them smoke while the rest of us can enjoy a meal or a drink without our eyes watering and our lungs burning. I think chewing tobacco is fine because it doesn't effect me other than when those that chew smile.

Smoking indoors is really a violation of other's personal space. Also people employed by bars and restaurants shouldn't have to breath all that crap in.
Yeah, breathing in smoke does suck and when I clothes smell like crap when I come home sucks too. If buildings or businesses want to curb smoking then that's up to them, but an outright government ban is screwed up on so many levels. When I was working at FedEx, they had "smoking huts" located all the way across the parking lot in small little plastic sheds. Smokers had to cross the lot in the dead of winter to smoke a square.

Someone once said to me that smokers are the new ******s and I agree with them.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:39 AM

782 posts, read 473,153 times
Aqua,
My sentiments mirror yours. I abhor smoking and all it represents, especially the litter, but people should still be able to do it and not be taxed to heaven and he l l on top of it. (as long as they don't flick their butts).

Both my parents were smokers and still are but I have never thought once about trying it.

Indoors for work environments, I can agree on a ban but outdoors, nahh...your exposure to that is very minimal in the grand scheme of things and your sun exposure waiting for 30-50 min. for the bus at the corner w/o sun screen on is more detrimental to your health than walking by or behind someone that is puffing cigarette smoke. Yeah, it may stink a little but the overall particulate matter and ppm of "crap" you are breathing is so small....

I think restaurants, if they want to go to the expense, should be able to create a sealed smoking section for their patrons that want to smoke. They can hire servers/bartenders that are also smokers to staff this section (or non-smokers who are ok with working there) but non-smokers can not be "forced" to work there. Heavy fines can be levied for violators.
Spending the $, it can be done but most restaurants don't have the space to allocate the room for this but I think it still should be an option for them if they so choose.

Many airports have sealed rooms and ventilation systems can be designed to change out the room air very quickly.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:46 AM
gg

It is pretty glamourous.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:02 PM

136 posts, read 79,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
It is pretty glamourous.

ROFLMAO...I remember growing up as a child in the days where you could go into the store and say hey i'm so and so's kid and they would sell you up to a carton with no questions asked. My mother was a big-time smoker (carton 3-4 days gone) and the stench of it was numbing. Needless to say I've never picked up a cig or have no desire to use them. However i'm seriously thinking about buying a few packs and selling them for 75 cents a piece. People are always asking me for them so why not capitalize off of their disregard for their health. Quarters always come in handy at the laundromat and parking meters.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:52 PM

499 posts, read 223,684 times
H Curtis's ASDS is showing: "I have no problem with smoking rooms for the weak. That is what you see in Europe pretty often. They put them in a little cage like room and let them smoke"

Note the difference between saying something like that and saying "I have no problem with comfortable and enjoyable smoking rooms for those who like smoking and smokers. Nor do I have a problem with those who smoke and would like to take a job in such an environment."

Old 07-06-2011, 07:23 PM

9,883 posts, read 9,576,576 times
Yeah but he's like that about everything/everyone, so it's not at all surprising here.

Sitting here on the forum for a city you don't live in and haven't been to just to respond to every anti-smoking rant is not exactly productive....

Old 07-06-2011, 07:23 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. McFadden View Post
H Curtis's ASDS is showing: "I have no problem with smoking rooms for the weak. That is what you see in Europe pretty often. They put them in a little cage like room and let them smoke"

Note the difference between saying something like that and saying "I have no problem with comfortable and enjoyable smoking rooms for those who like smoking and smokers. Nor do I have a problem with those who smoke and would like to take a job in such an environment."
To be quite honest, I believe what I wrote. Take is as you like. Smoking is all about people falling for marketing at an early age. It was marketed to look cool for a while, or glamourous many years ago. It is very hard on your body and causes all kinds of problems. It is a drug that weaker people get addicted to. How else can anyone look at it?

I feel bad for those that fell for that. It is a very hard drug habit to break. The human race needs to evolve beyond such things like smoking. Drinking I understand because it has some benefits, but smoking I don't think there are any good things about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh