Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 01:01 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,007,387 times

Advertisements

Some charts (Seattle/Pittsburgh--note the different in scale in the second set)

Interestingly, Seattle's higher-sunshine/lower-cloudiness period is more concentrated into a couple summer months than Pittsburgh's. Most months, Pittsburgh is sunnier/less-cloudy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 01:41 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,470 times
I lived in Seattle(Fremont, Ballard, Bothell), and then Minneapolis, and then here. One bit of culture shock for anyone coming from either city is that Pittsburghers are way, way, WAY friendlier than Seattleites (or Minneapolitans, for that matter), to the point where you may think someone airlifted you to Mayberry. I had neighbors bringing over baked goods the week I moved in. Granted that may just be my neighborhood, but my experience is that people are very gregarious here by comparison.

I have only been here a year but I don't think it's that cloudy. I could do with a few more clouds right now.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:13 PM

733 posts, read 986,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
I lived in Seattle(Fremont, Ballard, Bothell), and then Minneapolis, and then here. One bit of culture shock for anyone coming from either city is that Pittsburghers are way, way, WAY friendlier than Seattleites.
I've known two people that moved here from Seattle. One of them told me pretty much the exact same thing.

Edit: So I don't sound rude, haha, I've always thought Seattle would be a great place to live, just never had any incentive to travel that far...and I suspect it's too expensive for my taste.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:18 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,674,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
I have only been here a year but I don't think it's that cloudy. I could do with a few more clouds right now.
This has been a pretty extraordinarily sunny year. Winter was less gray than usual, at least IMHO. And I agree -- give me some clouds and rain, too (and cold -- I do not like the heat...)

Old 07-05-2012, 02:26 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,813,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Some charts (Seattle/Pittsburgh--note the different in scale in the second set)

Interestingly, Seattle's higher-sunshine/lower-cloudiness period is more concentrated into a couple summer months than Pittsburgh's. Most months, Pittsburgh is sunnier/less-cloudy.
you know grinds my gears? the fact that they used different baselines on the sunshine graphs. at a cursory glance it would appear the same but the pittsburgh one starts at 20% rather than 10%. why would they do such a thing? city data, any answers?

Old 07-05-2012, 02:37 PM

295 posts, read 659,045 times
The climate of Seattle and Pittsburgh are really quite different, just as it is comparing any West Coast climate to the Eastern U.S. Summers are far more humid and winters are colder in the Northeast, to state the obvious. The air just feels different overall. No thunderstorms in Seattle and much less snow. It's a marine climate. The graphs may make them appear similar but they really aren't.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:44 PM

441 posts, read 765,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
This has been a pretty extraordinarily sunny year. Winter was less gray than usual, at least IMHO. And I agree -- give me some clouds and rain, too (and cold -- I do not like the heat...)
Agreed. December 2011- - March 2012 was the craziest weather I've seen in all of my years here. Mild temperatures, very little snow, high 80 degree temps in March. I didn't even break out my heavy winter gear that season. Further, the weather still hasn't normalized. The Pennsylvania Water Science Center has placed Allegheny County on a drought watch. This year is definitely NOT representative of average Pittsburgh weather!

As for the rest of the thread, I'm not trying to imply that Seattle and Pittsburgh have a similar climate. I'm only saying that it if your main motivation is to get away from cloudy weather, then you should probably move somewhere else. I think the unusual weather over the past 6-8 months has made people forget that late October - March is consistent gray skies (which you can see on Brian's graph).

Old 07-05-2012, 07:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,147 times
I lived in Seattle and the surrounding areas for decades and the difference to me is the height of the 'ceiling' on the cloudy days. In Seattle the clouds are so low for days on end it can be almost suffocating. Here, it is cloudy but normally you still can see the top of the buildings and hills.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:58 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,347,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
you know grinds my gears? the fact that they used different baselines on the sunshine graphs. at a cursory glance it would appear the same but the pittsburgh one starts at 20% rather than 10%. why would they do such a thing? city data, any answers?
I see what you mean, after reading your comment I noticed that Pittsburgh runs much closer to the bottom half of the average than Seattle does
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh