U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 05:36 PM

6,818 posts, read 4,242,948 times

Advertisements

I remember "Crazy Calls for Cash" but I don't remember which TV station. They would show a movie and during breaks they'd draw a phone number (you had to send in your phone #) and ask the caller to pick a letter to turn around to see if the caller was a winner. You basically had to watch to see which letter turns were unsuccessful and I think they'd up the pot with each miss.

And there was a morning interview show, one-on-one, called "Contact". I didn't watch it as it was grown-ups.

I recall when Paul Shannon switched his usual set to a castle-based one. I didn't know why the change but years later I realized that there is a Castle Shannon. So was that the reason?

And I think there was a revival of a kids show on WIIC. Was it "Captain Jim" with his boat set called the Nancy Bee? It was advertised as his comeback, but at that time, I'd never heard of him. Willie the Duck would make appearances on that show too. The guy was pretty old and seemed a bit cantankerous.

I also remember Romper Room. What was amazing about that show is Miss Jane (I think) would have milk and cookies about halfway through the show and say grace! "God is great, God is good, Let us thank him for our food...amen" That'd never happen today. They'd also sing the "Safety Chief" song while she and the kids walked around the room holding individual firetruck painted boxes. And of course there was Magic Mirror.

"Romper, bomper, stomper, boo. Tell me, tell me, tell me do. Magic Mirror, tell me today. Did all my friends have fun today? Did all my friends have fun with me today?”

I had to look that rhyme up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 06:04 PM

2,145 posts, read 2,033,470 times
Quote:
Ok, who's old enough to remember Ed and Wendy King?
I'll invoke the 5th amendment on that one...

Old 04-20-2011, 06:14 PM

8,422 posts, read 7,579,243 times
Ed and Wendy, strangest radio setup ever. One would talk while the other could be heard in the background talking to a caller. Only listened to them after a Pirate game.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:14 AM

3,134 posts, read 5,742,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
And I think there was a revival of a kids show on WIIC. Was it "Captain Jim" with his boat set called the Nancy Bee? The guy was pretty old and seemed a bit cantankerous.
According to Wikipedia, Capt. Jim's Popeye Club - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Captain Jim was played by Jim Martin. Clicking Jim Martin brings a photo of a guy who doesn't look as old as we'd expect. He's a puppeteer on Sesame Street and won an Emmy.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:44 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,637,791 times
The Channel 4 Sunday Afternoon Movie with Harold V. Cohen. I believe this was the same format with Rege Cordic after Cohen died. Harold V. Cohen was the movie critic for the Post gazette and he would sit in a big wingback chair and give background on the movie you were about to see. Kind of exactly what Robert Osborne does now on TCM.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:38 PM

69,637 posts, read 59,643,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Commercials:

Dr. Baum in the Baum Bldg., the dentist you can trust because he trusts you!
---
Easy credit, easy credit, Wilkins is the place where you can get it. Wilkins Jewelers sponsored the Wilkins' Amateur Hour. I can't remember if that was on TV but the commercials were.
There was a joke we kids used to tell, went something like this:

Q: Did you here about the big explosion in Pittsburgh?

A: Dr. Baum (bomb) blew his top!

Now weren't we clever?

Old 04-21-2011, 03:21 PM

3,134 posts, read 5,742,597 times
^ Our version was that he fell out of the Baum Building. I don't recall the lead in.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:30 PM

8,422 posts, read 7,579,243 times
Rodney and Knish

Old 04-21-2011, 06:46 PM

7,522 posts, read 10,411,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Ok, who's old enough to remember Ed and Wendy King? KDKA - It was a radio talk show - call in type but you didn't hear the caller.

Had to get into the Way-Back machine to remember that one.

Of coarse I remember Studio Wrestling, Chiller Theater, Adventure Time, Bozo (chanel 53's version) and Romper Room. Also Rege Cordic's movie show as well as Bowling for dollars and Jr High Quiz.
Are you kidding?? I can still hear Ed King reading those ghoulishly good ghost stories listeners sent in for October!

And shaking the empty wallet at the moon telling it to fill it up!

Old 10-31-2013, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 779 times
i recall some nighttime movie being hosted by a lovely foreign woman with a nearly impenetrable accent. if she wasn't nico (of warhol fame) it was someone very similar. anyone remember this? maybe early 60's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh