U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-19-2011, 04:58 AM

18,641 posts, read 12,760,391 times
Let's try an experiment. Try to watch for littering today and see who's actually doing it. Then note it here, and if enough of you guys do this maybe we can see a few patterns.

Some things to look for:

1. Did you see someone littering today?

2. Were they walking, driving, or something else?

3. What part of town was this in?

4. If they were driving, what sort of vehicle was it?

5. Demographics. White/black, young/old, etc.

6. Anything else of interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-19-2011, 06:00 AM

10,310 posts, read 6,022,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Or, when he opens his window, chuck it back though the opening of his gas-guzzling yuppiemobile.
The yuppie types don't litter. It is the Appalachian pickup truck drivers and the inner-city don't care people. Are yuppies driving hug SUV's? I always thought that was the yinzer crowd and the yuppies are driving BMW's.

Unread 04-19-2011, 07:44 AM

149 posts, read 253,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Well, gee, nothing like a stereotype.
If you want, we can all play that game.
Yeah, the occupants of the SUV were not what would be described as yuppies in any part of the country. I'll leave it at that.

Unread 04-19-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Let's try an experiment. Try to watch for littering today and see who's actually doing it. Then note it here, and if enough of you guys do this maybe we can see a few patterns.

Some things to look for:

1. Did you see someone littering today?

2. Were they walking, driving, or something else?

3. What part of town was this in?

4. If they were driving, what sort of vehicle was it?

5. Demographics. White/black, young/old, etc.

6. Anything else of interest.

This is a terrific idea. Thanks Caladium!

Unread 04-19-2011, 09:08 AM

It might also be interesting to note the weather. I've often wondered if people litter more when it's raining. When it's soggy outside I think it's easier to simply toss something out a car window rather than walk in the rain to throw it away.

Unread 04-19-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
I have already done this and posted my findings twice. I didn't do if for a day. I watched for years while riding my bike and walking. I did the research for you. If you go to Seven Springs you will see more indication of the Appalachian empty pickup truck driver's litter. It is odd, but consistent.

Just got back from Florida and it is amazing how much cleaner it is down that way. I don't understand why, but I really do believe our history of Appalachian folks play the biggest role. The obvious litter from the inner-city don't care people really doesn't need explaining. If people don't have any pride in themselves, they certainly won't have pride in their surroundings. They are a lost cause, unless the police start fining them. Money and court time might be enough to curb them, but that is all that would work.

Unread 04-19-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I have already done this and posted my findings twice.
Yes, and your observations are what gave me the idea. Observations are so much more useful than guesses. I'd like to see lots more people doing what you did, and see if they see the same patterns.

I also agree, it may take a few days before people actually see someone in the act. It's not like you can walk out the front door and say "OK world, show me your litterers!"

Unread 04-19-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Yes, and your observations are what gave me the idea. Observations are so much more useful than guesses. I'd like to see lots more people doing what you did, and see if they see the same patterns.

I also agree, it may take a few days before people actually see someone in the act. It's not like you can walk out the front door and say "OK world, show me your litterers!"
I lived in Oakmont for years and drove Allegheny River Blvd. all the time and it was an interesting road to drive. One of the most polluted road that happens to have a nice river view on one side and a lovely tree filled hill on the other. Problem is that is has so much litter you can't see past it. There are two huge factors that I have witnessed countless times. You have tons of pickups with litter blowing out of the back and you have plenty of very poor people making their way to less desirable areas of Penn Hills and Verona. It is a double whammy. On top of all that, there is no where for police to see what goes on much, so if people are going to throw a bunch of stuff out of their cars, they will do it there. The amount of litter is so great, that it would be impossible to curb in anyway.

Unread 04-19-2011, 09:44 AM

9,867 posts, read 7,742,868 times
The only thing I've ever seen in the act are cigs and stuff blowing off a truck, and not too often the latter, maybe a few times ever. Volume-wise that's not very much.

I would notice such things if they happen in front of me, so I'm not a very good candidate for observing any actual litterers, given that I apparently only drive through places it doesn't happen next to people who don't do it.

I get a few bits occasionally in the yard, the price of living on a 35mph through road, but I've never caught anyone in the act there either. Indeed the idea that anyone doing it deliberately would do so in front of someone else is rather foreign to me, but then I guess that's the whole genesis for the thread, right?

Unread 04-19-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I have already done this and posted my findings twice. I didn't do if for a day. I watched for years while riding my bike and walking. I did the research for you. If you go to Seven Springs you will see more indication of the Appalachian empty pickup truck driver's litter. It is odd, but consistent.

Just got back from Florida and it is amazing how much cleaner it is down that way. I don't understand why, but I really do believe our history of Appalachian folks play the biggest role. The obvious litter from the inner-city don't care people really doesn't need explaining. If people don't have any pride in themselves, they certainly won't have pride in their surroundings. They are a lost cause, unless the police start fining them. Money and court time might be enough to curb them, but that is all that would work.
I think you are spot on here. I can't speak to the Appalachia influence obviously but everything else I totally agree with.

My encounter w/ the SUV driving offender was on a major road down in South Florida. There are plenty of trashy people (I'd guess more than every other state) in Florida because of the nature of why people move here & the low cost of living. But it is a tourist destination & there are always, always road side crews picking stuff up. Also, lawn maintenance is big business down here and generally private lawn crews include picking up trash as part of their service. In short, I don't think that FL has any less offenders, it just gets dealt with on many levels. I will also say that there has been some enforcement in certain counties that seems to work.

My personal philosophy is that litter affects the entire general public. Although this is probably not the normal way of thinking, I get much more offended by seeing someone throw out a bag full of trash in the road as opposed to someone buying drugs. I just look at it as what action affects the most people & to me that's the trash. I'm all for strict enforcement for the jerks that can't wait to find a trashcan. I mean how hard is it to put your bag/wrapper on the floorboard until you get home or to a gas station?

Caladium, I hope you keep up with your data gathering. I find everybody in here to be very thoughtful & inspiring. Thank you all for a great thread so far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh