Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 06:18 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times

Advertisements

I did litter pick-up as a Boy Scout, and a week later the roadsides looked just as trashy as ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 06:34 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
In 2007 Forbes ranked Pittsburgh the 10th cleanest city in the world.

In 2010 Forbes ranked Pittsburgh the 10th dirtiest in the U.S.

Pittsburgh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We have made a lot of "Cleanest Cities" lists in recent years.
A classic example of why those Forbes lists are worthless.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:38 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburgheer View Post
in my travels, for a city of similar size, pittsburgh definitely has an above average litter problem. the problem of hillside/valley dumping is evident and prevalent as well. perhaps the hilly topography helps people dilute themselves into the "out of sight, out of mind" thinking....along with a medium to large subset of just trashy people.
I think the hills are a factor. Lots of people litter accidentally. For example, you might have a crumpled up piece of paper in your pocket that accidentally falls out while you're walking. Most people will stop to pick it up if it's easy to do so. However, if a wind is blowing and you're walking up a hill and the paper blows down the hill side, you're likely to just shrug it off.

What I really noticed when I was up there was the amount of broken glass, especially in parking lots and some sidewalks. Maybe I just happened to park in a bad place, but there seem to be a lot of it. I find it hard to believe that broken glass is "accidental" littering. Why do people do that?

Old 04-12-2011, 06:42 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
I have studied this issue quite a bit and have discovered from being on my bike all the time that litter comes from three main sources and I will list them in order of most litter offenders.

1. The pickup truck driver that throws trash in his bed and pretends that it is okay, even though it always blows out of his bed when he drives.
2. Many inner-city people (section 8 types) just throw trash around because they have no pride in themselves let alone anyone else.
3. Poorly loaded tri-axles that don't have covers on the loads have things blowing out of them.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:49 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I did litter pick-up as a Boy Scout, and a week later the roadsides looked just as trashy as ever.
You cannot keep up with it. This is Appalachia after all.

If you drive from Pittsburgh to 7 Springs it is as bad as the suburbs in Pittsburgh. The 7 Springs area is so beautiful and the people there just throw trash around like it is okay. Uniontown is another area that is amazingly filled with trash. This will always be that way in all of Western PA. I clean the Highland Park Bridge walkway every year and it lasts for a while, but there was glass on it a week later. Drive on Allegheny River Blvd. from the zoo to Verona. That is one of the worst places. If 100 people cleaned it, the place would look the same in a couple of weeks due to pickup traffic. There are more pickups in our area than any place I have ever been and they all put trash in the back of them thinking that is fine, it isn't littering. Yeah right.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:56 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,706,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
You cannot keep up with it. This is Appalachia after all.

If you drive from Pittsburgh to 7 Springs it is as bad as the suburbs in Pittsburgh. The 7 Springs area is so beautiful and the people there just throw trash around like it is okay. Uniontown is another area that is amazingly filled with trash. This will always be that way in all of Western PA. I clean the Highland Park Bridge walkway every year and it lasts for a while, but there was glass on it a week later. Drive on Allegheny River Blvd. from the zoo to Verona. That is one of the worst places. If 100 people cleaned it, the place would look the same in a couple of weeks due to pickup traffic. There are more pickups in our area than any place I have ever been and they allput trash in the back of them thinking that is fine, it isn't littering. Yeah right.
All pickup truck owners are obviously hard core litter bugs, so perhaps we should ban pickup trucks in the city...

At some point this thread has turned into wild generalizations....

Old 04-12-2011, 06:57 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
Here's an interesting article on the subject:
Litter Bugged - News - Pittsburgh City Paper

Old 04-12-2011, 07:10 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
All pickup truck owners are obviously hard core litter bugs, so perhaps we should ban pickup trucks in the city...

At some point this thread has turned into wild generalizations....
There is a difference in "generalizations" and observations. I have always wondered why there is so much litter and have focused on the reasons for years. My observations are facts. I never said "all" pickup truck drivers. I said there are lots of them. That IS a fact.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:24 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,711,891 times
I drove south on I-79 recently, and the litter on the sides of the road was atrocious. Some of it may have blown off overfilled garbage trucks, but that's no excuse.
Low lifes who litter are scum, and, as stated previously, smokers are big contributors with their nasty butts spread everywhere. When I worked downtown, I always noticed excessive litter around the fast food joints, and, especially , bus stops. I imagine that hasn't changed.
Prisoners should be used to clean up, at least on the major highways. It's not exactly the chain gang, fer chrissakes !

Old 04-12-2011, 07:32 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Well since we incarcerate more of our population than any other country on the planet and corporations make money off of private prisons, you'd think they'd be putting that label to good use.

I'd much rather have prisoners cleaning up highways then building Patriot missiles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh