Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 01:09 AM

7 posts, read 11,949 times

Advertisements

What's the deal with South Fayette, particularly the Newbury plan? Will the residential and retail combined concept flourish? Any word of what retail/commercial has committed? What was formerly on this site?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 04:10 AM

674 posts, read 1,412,754 times
Newbury has been very slow going. They are finally starting to build houses up on top of the hill. Drove up there the other day. There are some nice touches to the homes (beautiful hardware, nicer doors, light fixtures, etc.) but they are SO CLOSE together. The houses are on top of one another. And they are really expensive for their size.

It has been so long since I have read any updates as to what retailers will eventually go in. I think Circuit City was supposed to back in the day but they're not in biz anymore. 84 Lumber has built a new site but hasn't moved to it yet.

I live very near Newbury and would love to see it take off, but with the turn of the economy, I don't know the current status.

They have a website but it really only talks about the homes and there's not much update for the retail.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:44 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,373,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by On-In-Two View Post
What's the deal with South Fayette, particularly the Newbury plan? Will the residential and retail combined concept flourish? Any word of what retail/commercial has committed? What was formerly on this site?
Where the homes are being built there was nothing but woods and it's on a hill. Where the retail shops are supposed to be formerly was a chemical plant called Kopper's. When I was a kid (living on the opposite hill) our snow turned green from something that was emitted from the Kopper's plant. Of course we were told it was harmless.

I have not rode up the hill to look at the homes being built but did see the website and they sure do seem pricey for what you get.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
Where the homes are being built there was nothing but woods and it's on a hill. Where the retail shops are supposed to be formerly was a chemical plant called Kopper's. When I was a kid (living on the opposite hill) our snow turned green from something that was emitted from the Kopper's plant. Of course we were told it was harmless.
Didn't have the green snow but also grew up nearby. The color of the creek was just not natural.

They have had a lot of EPA issues to deal with, and I am sure that that caused some of the slow down on the retail development portion of it.

I have mixed feelings- would love to have some shopping and hopefully dining nearby, but the traffic getting off 79 is bad enough as it is during rush hour.

Any word on the old St. Anthony's property? That's a nice chunk of land in a great location. I don't know why the church has held on to it for so long.

I am also looking forward to the future community center in the Star City building. I believe they have sold or leased the out parcel (the old Texaco) to a bank (First National, maybe?).

Old 04-13-2011, 06:56 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,373,509 times
I believe the color of the creek is from sulfer and high iron content coming off the hillsides? Just not real sure.

I didn't realize the old Starr city was going to be a community center, I thought it was going to be the new Municipal offices? Both maybe?

I will never see the how the development actually goes, I'm moving to the sunshine state in Mid May.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
I didn't realize the old Starr city was going to be a community center, I thought it was going to be the new Municipal offices? Both maybe?
I believe it will be both - I think they'll move the library there, too. There's a lot of space to work with.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:47 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghgirl17 View Post
Drove up there the other day. There are some nice touches to the homes (beautiful hardware, nicer doors, light fixtures, etc.) but they are SO CLOSE together. The houses are on top of one another. And they are really expensive for their size.
Same here. I drove up last weekend because I was out in the area and it's a large hill to get up there. Then when you do, you're right...the houses are very close together. You could reach out of your window and touch your neighbors house. I'm not sure why someone buying a $300,000+ brand new home would want that, but maybe I'm missing something. However, as you said, they are very interesting homes and some I really liked. The pictures of the inside ( A Quick Look At A Recently Completed Park Home ) were really nice. They are very expensive, though. I think the minimum is around $300,000.

As for businesses going in, they are pretty quiet about it all. I believe I read somewhere they were going to make announcements in "Spring 2011" so maybe we can expect some sooner rather than later. I would hope it would be something different and not just the same stores that we have at every shopping center throughout the metro area. We'll see.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:14 PM

5 posts, read 5,246 times
We're relocating to Pittsburgh area this summer and liked this neighborhood. I think it's overpriced. I've noticed that there are still lots available in the older phase and builders have dropped their prices in the final phase. A few different models sit empty and prices dropping as well. Did they price themselves out of the market in the area? It seems like you can get a lot more house for your money in other parts of South Fayette.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:33 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,392,312 times
South Fayette has alot of new home plans, there is alot of competition for a new homebuyer to use as leverage when buying a place. One of the builders is starting a new development in Robinson twp, maybe he is looking to turn some spec houses to raise a little capital. The builders are higher end in Newberry and you will pay a little more for the quality product than you will in some other plans in SF. I like the new err concept but it is not for everyone.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:22 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,662 times
I would assume the over-pricedness comes from being directly tied to the (future) retail development of Newbury.

"Location, location, location" The plans say that the Gateway Shops are supposed to be done by this summer. I haven't been around the area to see if any building progress has been made.

However, as you said CLG, there are plenty of other more affordable & nice homes in South Fayette Schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh