U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 01:45 PM

782 posts, read 441,045 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
Right. Making broad generalizations about a culture based on limited personal experiences (evidently 90% of which involve curry in some form) would be...let's see...I think there's a term for it...
Blah blah blah blah blah...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 01:48 PM

1,045 posts, read 920,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfield mania View Post
Blah blah blah blah blah...
Just the sort of pointed rebuttal I would have expected.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:00 PM

251 posts, read 185,505 times
LOL'ing at lots of these posts.

Seriously though, I have several Indian clients, and I love 'em, I always look forward to working with them on a personal level, but this is the one thing I dread every time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfield mania View Post
Only small gripe I have is I wish more would "westernize" their bathing/deodorant habits and do it more often. Having 2-3 hr meetings with 5-20 people in a small, stuffy room can get a little odoriferous at times.
My cultural sensitivity tends to wane when my eyes start watering.

But as for REAL problems, no... I don't imagine you should run into any real adversity beyond the superficial. But please do consider your choice of scents!

(Actually, just to temper the PC police, I should add the worst I've ever encountered in this respect was an elder, traditional Frenchman.)

Old 04-17-2011, 04:40 PM

3,891 posts, read 3,703,884 times
I work with someone from India. My only problems with him are (1) he sleeps on the job and, (2) he asked me if I wanted an Indian mail order bride, which I just thought was creepy.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:40 PM

35,926 posts, read 54,721,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
Just the sort of pointed rebuttal I would have expected.
And pretty much the response your post deserved.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:15 AM

3,191 posts, read 3,759,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardindex View Post
Hi,
I am Indian. I would like to know which type of problems do you face from Indians in pittsburgh and what is the perfect solution to that according to you?

Ohhhhhhh nooooooooooooo you deeeeedn't.......I know you deed not ask this queshteeooon.......

No problems, just find Indians very cheap, and always wanting to bargain, even on the most simple of items.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:33 AM

10,994 posts, read 7,054,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Ohhhhhhh nooooooooooooo you deeeeedn't.......I know you deed not ask this queshteeooon.......

No problems, just find Indians very cheap, and always wanting to bargain, even on the most simple of items.
I have encountered some Indian people that actually are the opposite because they know that stigma exists. I have first hand experience with this and the people that were amazingly generous were VERY wealthy that I was doing business with. Quite possibly the most generous people I ever dealt with at my job many years ago.

I do want to point out that there were PLENTY of people that treated these Indian folks very poorly and to the point I was embarrassed to call myself a Pittsburgher. Some of the other old money people bordered on breaking the law and if they wanted to they could have had a case in court.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:49 AM

18,717 posts, read 14,353,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I have encountered some Indian people that actually are the opposite
Me too. I live next door to an Indian family and there's another one about 3 doors down. This winter I really upset the women of both families by shoveling snow after a heavy snowfall. I mean, they were really disturbed by this, as if they thought I was embarrassing (and also lowering) myself by this public display of manual work.

For these women, bargaining is also an embarrassment. One time I came home from Costco, bragging about buying filet mignon for $9/pound, and they were more disturbed by my bragging about frugality than by the fact that I was talking about cow meat. I guess that's just one of the taboos of their particular station in life. It's interesting how people see things differently.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:56 AM

3,191 posts, read 3,759,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Me too. I live next door to an Indian family and there's another one about 3 doors down. This winter I really upset the women of both families by shoveling snow after a heavy snowfall. I mean, they were really disturbed by this, as if they thought I was embarrassing (and also lowering) myself by this public display of manual work.

For these women, bargaining is also an embarrassment. One time I came home from Costco, bragging about buying filet mignon for $9/pound, and they were more disturbed by my bragging about frugality than by the fact that I was talking about cow meat. I guess that's just one of the taboos of their particular station in life. It's interesting how people see things differently.
I'm not seeing anything different, I'm speaking from real life experiences. Never met Indians that weren't cheap.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:05 AM

18,717 posts, read 14,353,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I'm not seeing anything different,
LOL, I meant how my neighbors and I see things differently. I see no embarrassment at all in shovelling snow or being frugal, in fact I'm very proud of it. My neighbors think these same traits are lowly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh