Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 12:25 PM

6 posts, read 7,052 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I've posted before trying to figure out what area I should move to in May/June. I think I've narrowed it down to a general vicinity that seems convenient to the places I need access to. So I did a radius search on apartment finding websites. I'm hoping I can gain some insight on some areas/rentals I'm looking at. If anyone can ring in on any of the places, or has alternate suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it! I'm a female, multi-ethnic, professional with no kids in my early 30's if it helps. I'm looking for a 2BR and trying to keep rent close to $800.

Property managers:
J. J. Land Rentals
CA Properties
Arbors Management

Neighborhoods:
Friendship
Highland Park
Oakland
East Liberty
Wilkinsburg
East Hills
Lawrenceville
Edgewood

Last edited by Yac; 04-06-2011 at 01:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 12:31 PM

6,595 posts, read 8,907,835 times
Just what will you need access to? What kinds of things are important to you in an apartment? Do you need to be close to parks, bars, grocery stores, etc? Will you be driving or relying on the bus?

It is definitely worth sifting through craigslist listings when apartment hunting in Pittsburgh. Lots of individual landlords will list that way, and a lot of times they are cheaper and pay more attention to any problems you have while you live there (at least in my experience).

If you need to find some feedback about a specific landlord, check http://www.landorslum.com

It also might be worth noting that you will pay 3% income tax in the city of Pittsburgh, versus just 1% in most of the surrounding municipalities.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:57 PM

6 posts, read 7,052 times
Well, I'll be driving, and ultimately I'd like to be within a couple of miles of UPMC Shadyside (<10 minute drive) and reasonably close to Aspinwall too (within a 10-15 minute drive). I have no problem taking the time to drive to any parks/nightlife/grocery, so I don't really care how close they are to where I live.

I will definitely take your advice by looking at Craigslist. Once I narrow it down a little, I'll contact places and arrange to take a look at the apartment/neighborhood myself, but I'm coming from out of state, so I'm just trying to get a more focused idea of whether I'm looking in a good place or not. From what I'm reading, each neighborhood has particularly variable regions and "iffy" spots. I'm just trying to avoid wasting my time looking at a place that's known to be in a terrible spot!

Old 03-30-2011, 01:09 PM

893 posts, read 1,317,807 times
I think east Liberty would fit you fine; its a well up coming area those apartments on 6206 Broad St. are brand new actually very nice! Also the new 'Target' of east liberty is directly outside your doors 30 sec walk whole foods is right on Centre Ave about 5 blocks away. Its definitely safe now a days majority of the bad seeds no longer live in that area. i use to attend First Missionary Temple Church-God which site a block behind the new Fairfield Apartments

If you drive down Baum blvd from broad street you will be at shady side hospital in about 5-6 mins. talk about commute.

Or you can try to find a apt in shady-side but why pay 1000-1200$ month when you can live in east liberty brand new housing for 700-800

Old 03-30-2011, 01:21 PM

Friendship, Bloomfield, or Shadyside itself would be where I'd want to live if working at UPMC Shadyside. You could probably find something within walking distance, and with their parking garage costing $22/day, that's no small benefit (though I'm not sure if they charge differently for employees).

East Liberty might not be a bad fit, but given the "transitional" status I would definitely advise coming to take a look and decide for yourself. I personally would be fine with most of it, but there is definitely the potential for some people to be uncomfortable.

If parking costs at UPMC Shadyside aren't a concern to you, I would think Highland Park sounds like the best fit for you. It is close to both UPMC Shadyside and Aspinwall, and is pretty car friendly for a city neighborhood.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:37 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,477,564 times
I would also try Aspinwall. Nice safe area and an easy commute to Shadyside.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I would also try Aspinwall. Nice safe area and an easy commute to Shadyside.
That would make the drive to Shadyside longer than 10 minutes, especially during rush hour when Washington Blvd and the Highland Park Bridge can get pretty decently backed up. But other than that it would be a good location.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:01 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,477,564 times
You wouldn't take Washington Blvd to get there. You would take Negley. Again, a very easy commute. Really no major back ups. Just city traffic.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:48 PM

2,895 posts, read 5,104,185 times
Friendship or Highland Park. Some parts of Friendship are a short walk to UPMC Shadyside.

I would have mentioned Shadyside as well because it's a young and diverse neighborhood but I have the feeling a 2 BR for 800$ is going to be a hole-in-the-wall type of place. Six years ago, we visited a JJ Land property in Shadyside and it was horrible.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:27 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,352,121 times
Stay away from anything in the East Hills
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh