Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:12 PM

52 posts, read 89,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
H

Youre wrong it was clearly said.
I've got to agree w/ the above correction of the record. A lot of conversations seem to veer negative before petering out. As a new person to the city, I guess I'd like to see people stay excited about a (re)development like the Y building.

Change seems to happen slowly here - sometimes 1 step forward 2 steps back - but momentum can definitely build. East Liberty seems at the cross section of so many different neighborhoods and possibilities, it seems everyone's interests would be served by responsible redevelopment to bring people, jobs, and households there - and I don't just mean in terms of shopping at Target or Whole foods. It still seems to me one of the most lively neighborhoods I've seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 01:18 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimGyves View Post
I've got to agree w/ the above correction of the record. A lot of conversations seem to veer negative before petering out. As a new person to the city, I guess I'd like to see people stay excited about a (re)development like the Y building.

Change seems to happen slowly here - sometimes 1 step forward 2 steps back - but momentum can definitely build. East Liberty seems at the cross section of so many different neighborhoods and possibilities, it seems everyone's interests would be served by responsible redevelopment to bring people, jobs, and households there - and I don't just mean in terms of shopping at Target or Whole foods. It still seems to me one of the most lively neighborhoods I've seen.
Yeah, and those of us who have lived in the area for decades see it as another step sideways.
We've seen "responsible redevelopment" for decades. That's what got the area to this point.
The litter, petty crime and muggings aren't going to change any time soon.

I'll believe it's better when I see it.
Until then, another pipe dream for Sliberty.

Last edited by chielgirl; 04-26-2011 at 01:36 AM..

Old 04-26-2011, 01:36 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
H

Youre wrong it was clearly said.
No, it hasn't been said.
I just reread the thread.
We have doubts, but no one said that it's a bad thing.
Sorry.

Quote:
how anyone could think this is bad is mind boggling. there's more pride in abandoned buildings? you hear that? that's the sound of pride %$#ng with ya

Old 04-26-2011, 05:39 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
The journey of a thousand miles happens one step at a time.

And there will always be the naysayers alongside the path, telling you that each step doesn't matter and you might as well just give up.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:01 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
No, it hasn't been said.
I just reread the thread.
We have doubts, but no one said that it's a bad thing.
Sorry.
h curtis clearly says it's a bad sign so yes, it has been said. this is a good thing and a good sign.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
When someone thinks an apartment building is as good as condos, I just can't let that slide by. Owning is better than leasing for areas. It really is real estate 101.

I feel for people that spend $1000 a month and build no equity. That is sad. What a short sided way of looking at things. Guess it is temporary housing??
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
It is not a good sign if a project shifts from Condos (OWNERSHIP OF OCCUPANTS) to apartments. It is always better if people own and have pride in their homes than paying someone rent.

The good sign is only that something will be done, not the shift from condos to apartments. I hope you can at least understand that simple concept. Goodness!

Old 04-26-2011, 06:22 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
h curtis clearly says it's a bad sign so yes, it has been said. this is a good thing and a good sign.
WRONG. You took the statements out of context. Owning IS better than renting as far as neighborhoods go, but that was a general point. Having this building renovated IS a positive for the area. If you read the whole thread you will see I was only making a point that rental buildings are not as good as buildings that have owners.

There is nothing negative on this thread. How could there be? A vacant dilapidated building is going to be used for something other than section 8. All is great!

Old 04-26-2011, 06:40 AM

There is nothing more boring than arguing about what was said in the past on the Internet, but for the record, pman is clearly correct.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:09 AM
gg

The context of this thread was a shift from condos to apartments. Real estate 101, which Brian has not taken, says a rental building isn't as desirable as a building the occupants own. I didn't compare the building as a vacant depapodated building vs. an apartment building. You have to read the content and not the headlines.

It is positive that the building is going to be used. It is less positive that it will be a rental compared to an owner occupied building. If you disagree with that, you don't know anything about real estate. It is clear Brian doesn't have the background or the knowledge to discuss this with me, who has sold and invested in real estate for over 20 years. Brian? No experience. You can believe who you like. It doesn't matter either way to me. Sometimes the blind lead the blind and it is entertaining to those of us that know better.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:32 AM

People can read Post #3 and judge for themselves what was really going on.

Some posters seem to have this problem a lot--people read what they write and then point out how ridiculous it is. Then it turns out that you shouldn't read what they write and take it literally. If you were as brilliant and experienced as the poster in question, you would understand that what he writes is always insightful and true. So if it seems on the surface that what he wrote is false, ridiculous, or otherwise nonsensical, then the problem is with you, not him, because brilliant and experienced people like him just don't write false, ridiculous, and nonsensical things.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:49 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
People can read Post #3 and judge for themselves what was really going on.
Showing your ignorance as usual. If you read only post #3, they will not be reading the thread. Seems you proved my point for me. Thanks.

I have an idea Brian. Why don't you do something else with your time? You seem to have tons of time to fill. Get outside and see the world. Leave the home now and again to see what is going on in Pittsburgh. Seeing things through a computer isn't very healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh