Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 07:15 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,712,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Long-awaited bill to privatize Pa. liquor store system is unveiled | Philadelphia Inquirer | 07/14/2011 (http://www.philly.com/philly/news/local/20110714_Long-awaited_bill_to_privatize_Pa__liquor_store_system_ is_unveiled.html - broken link)

We might see better prices. Look at the tax structure. Hmm, could be interesting. I had no idea the PLCB slapped on 30% tax!!!!!!! WTF
I believe that it's actually a 30% mark-up on price. That's for salaries; you know, for those always friendly & knowledgable employees, always ready to suggest a wine that was stored at 100 degrees for a few months. Then there is the Johnstown Flood tax added on. They apparently missed the Valley Forge & Battle of Gettysburg taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 07:34 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
I believe that it's actually a 30% mark-up on price. That's for salaries; you know, for those always friendly & knowledgable employees, always ready to suggest a wine that was stored at 100 degrees for a few months. Then there is the Johnstown Flood tax added on. They apparently missed the Valley Forge & Battle of Gettysburg taxes.
One thing I will say is the state store employees are totally dumb when it comes to wines and liquor. It is sad. They are in that field and making a good wage. One could think they could at least know a little about wine and such. They don't even have to drink any, just read about product from a site like Snooth or something. Every place I go and ask about any wine, no one has a clue. They just look at me like I am from Pluto. In Virginia at a couple of wine stores, it was so nice to discuss wine with the person working there. Actually both people I talked to where the owners. They gave me recommendations and it was great. I enjoyed all the wines recommended and would go there again because I had a nice report with them. Go to a State Store and you are on your own. I don't bother asking any questions, unless I am looking to see if they have any wines in the back incase the one I am looking for is not on the shelf.

After reading more about this, I am hoping the monopoly is broken up and we move into capitalism.

Oh and the Johnstown flood tax shows you, once a tax is in place they keep it there. That is one of the huge reasons I hate the Onorato tax. It is now there for everyone to pay for if they go out. Restaurants have a tough time as it is let alone some tax to make things even harder for them. Look at the hours restaurant owners work. 12 hour days? 14 hours? Late hours. Early hours for deliveries. Not exactly some easy job! Thanks Onorato for creating another NEW TAX!!!!!!! It will be there the rest of our lives.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:15 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
If I was a Johnstown state rep I would demand all the monies collected through the Johnstown Flood Tax all go to Johnstown

Old 07-15-2011, 01:46 PM

472 posts, read 626,684 times
Democrat Paul Costs thinks stores are great.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:19 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I would prefer no state stores, but I do want to point out that PA's liquor prices are probably better in most cases to our neighbors. Being a single malt drinker, I keep tabs on this stuff. Florida has some better deals, but that is pretty far away. At the moment prices in PA are better overall than most anywhere around here.

I agree that there is no tax on gas drilling. Just a little money to prepare for the inevitable disaster that WILL no doubt happen. I just hope when it does happen, we are informed about it and don't all get cancer from our lovely water supply.

Being from PA and living in MD for the last almost 30 years the bolded is correct.

We have privatized liquor stores here that also carry wine and beer. Prices are generally 15% to 25% higher than what I've seen in PA. That includes the 6 packs you buy from bars in PA. Most groceries do not carry beer, to do so you have to have a special tourist license in a state designated tourist area.

Even the wine only stores generally don't have a wide selection. This is coming from someone whose wife is a wine drinker living in a County that has homegrown vineyards. They don't even carry the local stuff.

Do you know where we go for a load of wine? The DuBois Mall where the Winery at Wilcox has an outlet.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:26 AM

137 posts, read 354,100 times
I agree with Paul.. We need the state stores to help pay for the repairs of destroyed state property caused by drunks...

Old 12-14-2011, 07:03 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,252 times
FWIW, Turazi's bill was killed in committee. Things could change though:

Beer retailers selling wine?

Old 12-14-2011, 07:44 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Unfortunately, as I have noted before, opposition to privatizing the state stores really is bipartisan. Still, allowing beer distributors to sell wine, reducing the restrictions on the size of beer sales, and expanding Sunday openings would be significant reforms--hopefully the new bill can thread the needle.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:55 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,308 times
I'm not entirely sure how I feel about all of this, and to be honest I don't remember all of the relevant facts. One question, though. If you're going to allow private stores to sell wine, stealing business and revenue from the PLCB by offering a better selection and service, wouldn't it make sense to at least collect the $1.5B to $2B by completely privatizing the system?

Old 12-14-2011, 08:26 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
They would charge for the new licenses to sell wine, so this partial-privatization would generate part of the revenues of privatization.

Of course ideally you would auction (and periodically re-auction) the licenses--instead it looks like they have a flat fee schedule:

Quote:
A license to sell wine would cost $50,000 initially with a $15,000 annual renewal fee.
That would likely amount to a windfall in the long run--not a surprise, perhaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh