U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-19-2011, 04:01 PM

4,262 posts, read 4,113,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What I got from the link is that the Fox Chapel council donated $1 mil to this private, non-profit group for the library. I don't understand "the family" being referred to.
According to the Fox Chapel donates $1 million to new library link, it says:

"The new facility will be named the Cooper-Siegel Community Library, in honor of the Cooper-Siegel Family Foundation, which donated $2 million toward the project. It will replace the Lauri Ann West Memorial Library, which shares a converted school on Powers Run Road with an existing community center." Basically I'm assuming the family contributed the money through thier foundation.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 04:03 PM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 8 days ago)

69,998 posts, read 60,539,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
According to the Fox Chapel donates $1 million to new library link, it says:

"The new facility will be named the Cooper-Siegel Community Library, in honor of the Cooper-Siegel Family Foundation, which donated $2 million toward the project. It will replace the Lauri Ann West Memorial Library, which shares a converted school on Powers Run Road with an existing community center." Basically I'm assuming the family contributed the money through thier foundation.
Gotcha! I must have missed that part.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:36 PM

6,907 posts, read 4,370,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Many out-of-print books that you find in libraries are geared to local residents. I helped write a book a while back that was about the growth in our county. They only printed 2,000 copies, so the only places you can find it now are in the library, at the local museum, and in my basement. It's too much of a special interest book to appeal to Google.

Libraries have lots of books about local history, ghost stories, even local cookbooks.
Nothing is too special interest for Google. They would like to make as much information available as possible. If the authors give permission, I'm sure they'd be happy to add it to Google books. Just because only a few thousand copies were produce doesn't mean it doesn't have value to a larger audience.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That article's two years old. It's not that simple: Judge Rejects Google Books Settlement - WSJ.com
Yes, I alluded to that in my post. I'm hoping they can figure out a way to compensate the authors.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Nothing is too special interest for Google. They would like to make as much information available as possible. If the authors give permission, I'm sure they'd be happy to add it to Google books. Just because only a few thousand copies were produce doesn't mean it doesn't have value to a larger audience.
You have to know what you're looking for to make that work, and it doesn't work if it's not there. Google is no reason to do away with libraries.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
To do what you're saying, you still have to know what you're looking for. That's where the library staff comes in. Actually, a number of libraries around here have coffee shops, including the Boulder (CO) Public Library. Good lord, I can't understand people complaining about a library, especially one built with essentially private money.
I live in Atlanta and a couple of the university libraries now have coffee shops, and very successful ones. I'm not aware of any Atlanta area public libraries having one yet. Here, the university library setting seems more amenable to a coffee shop than a public library. Quite frankly, the homeless at times ruin the library's atmosphere as they take up all the computer stations.

Library staff can assist in finding things but on-line searching is getting pretty good. I can even do my searching from home first and go directly to the material when I arrive in the library. Even Google is reaching out and finding stuff. Library reference services have been in decline for years. Staff are doing more computer support and other things than traditional reference services.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
You have to know what you're looking for to make that work, and it doesn't work if it's not there. Google is no reason to do away with libraries.
I'm not saying that we should do away with libraries, just that we can do with fewer. And libraries are having to change to deal with this information age. Google and other on-line databases are allowing people to by-pass the library reference desk. Just as automation has made a world needing fewer workers to do the same job, so is the information age making the need for libraries and library staff less.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:58 PM

14,561 posts, read 8,945,195 times
This is a great thread explaining why libraries are still needed and relevant today:

Has the time of Libraries come to an end?

Old 04-19-2011, 06:01 PM

18 posts, read 22,186 times
Quote:
To do what you're saying, you still have to know what you're looking for. That's where the library staff comes in. Actually, a number of libraries around here have coffee shops, including the Boulder (CO) Public Library. Good lord, I can't understand people complaining about a library, especially one built with essentially private money.
Exactly. Modern librarians no longer view themselves as gatekeepers of information but as gate openers who are there to help anyone find and evaluate the best information available in a painless, effecient way. These are important skills for all citizens in the 21st century. With all the available information on the ephemeral Internet on which anyone can author a website, how does one learn to sift through it and know which ones are credible? A search engine finds only a small fraction of available information, but librarians can help them locate information that does not appear in your Google results.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I'm not saying that we should do away with libraries, just that we can do with fewer. And libraries are having to change to deal with this information age. Google and other on-line databases are allowing people to by-pass the library reference desk. Just as automation has made a world needing fewer workers to do the same job, so is the information age making the need for libraries and library staff less.
Libraries are community centers. Should people have to drive to some regional center to take their kids to story hour? It's nice if the drive isn't as long as the storytime!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh