Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:25 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,044,766 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be driving out to Pittsburgh from NJ in July to investigate the city as a possible relocation destination.

We will have 5 days to look around so we want to see as much as possible and check out the neighborhoods, real estate, possible jobs, etc.

We don't need high end suburban areas. We're kind of alternative in our thinking: vegetarian, alternative music, free spirited

WOuld you suggest that 5 days is enough? What should we definitely not miss while we're there? Festivals? Museums? etc.?

We definitely want to check out any vegetarian restaurants, odd shops, parks, and any psychiatric or forensic hospitals he could possibly find a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 10:51 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,572,287 times
No kids?

Based on your description, sounds like you'd rather live in the city. You should check out the East End neighborhoods (Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Highland Park, Point Breeze, Regent Square) as well as Lawrenceville and the Southside. Go to the strip district in the morning, preferably on a weekend. WPIC (Western Psychiatric) is the large psych hospital in Pittsburgh, its in Oakland with the other major UPMC hospitals. I'm not sure what a forensic hospital is.

When I recently had to figure out where to move after a 3 year stint in Baltimore (ultimately decided to return to Pittsburgh btw) I went on interviews in a half dozen different cities. Its really tempting to hit up the touristy spots, but you need to focus on doing the everyday sort of things you'd be doing if you moved there (for me that's stuff like Target, supermarkets, local casual dining, etc). If you can get a real estate agent to show you around that might be nice too. If not, look online at some properties listed in your price range and at least drive by them.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:13 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
WOuld you suggest that 5 days is enough? What should we definitely not miss while we're there? Festivals? Museums? etc.?

We definitely want to check out any vegetarian restaurants, odd shops, parks, and any psychiatric or forensic hospitals he could possibly find a job.
Well, our artsy, bohemian neighborhood is Lawrenceville, so I would definitely check it out. Take a walk down Butler Street. I think you might also love the South Side. If you walk down Carson Street in the South Side, you will notice lots of neat little shops and restaurants.

I worked at Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic (UPMC), which is in Oakland. He might be able to find a job with UPMC.

Things you should definitely not miss:

The William Penn Hotel (at least check out the lobby). Allegheny Cemetery (Lawrenceville). The Victorian Architecture in The Mexican War Streets and Deutschtown (North Side). The Strip District (Penn Avenue) and Bloomfield (Little Italy). Schenley Park (Oakland).

Old 04-19-2011, 02:42 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
A busy five days is definitely enough for a quick overview. On the other hand, I've lived here for 18 years, and there are still parts of the City I haven't explored--there are so many small, distinct neighborhoods it can be overwhelming.

For a rough itinerary, I'd start Downtown, then move your way through the Strip, Lawrenceville, Polish Hill, Bloomfield/Friendship, East Liberty/Highland Park, Point Breeze/North Point Breeze, and Park Place/Regent Square. I'd also check out the North Side and the South Side, plus maybe Greenfield and Squirrel Hill.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:17 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
When in Highland Park go to the VA Hospital on Highland Drive. It is psychiatric and in the future will relocate to Oakland. Go to the ground floor and look for the job postings. They go so fast they're almost never advertised.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:18 PM

783 posts, read 2,021,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
My husband and I will be driving out to Pittsburgh from NJ in July to investigate the city as a possible relocation destination.

We will have 5 days to look around so we want to see as much as possible and check out the neighborhoods, real estate, possible jobs, etc.

We don't need high end suburban areas. We're kind of alternative in our thinking: vegetarian, alternative music, free spirited

I don't mean to get too personal, but I'm curious as to why you are considering leaving NJ? It seems to be much closer to what you want lifestyle-wise and very close to NYC or Philly. Also, why Pittsburgh? What have you heard about it and what made you even consider it? I'm always interested in hearing from newcomers...or potential ones, at least

Old 04-19-2011, 07:43 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Sometimes 5 hours can be enough time to find a blissful new life in a promising city---let alone 5 days! In my case I took a day-trip to Pittsburgh from NoVA to scope out one apartment I found on CraigsList, fell in love with its character and its siting within a neighborhood that's in close proximity to many other areas, and signed the dotted line right then and there. I found a full-time job within weeks, and I've since been promoted to supervisor. I found romance and made new friends in a hurry. Naturally I may just be an anomaly, but sometimes I wonder if some people don't drive themselves batty over-investigating an area before relocating.

You've been given some solid advice thus far. If you're looking for a "crunchier" part of the area then East End places like Lawrenceville, Regent Square, Shadyside, and Squirrel Hill come to mind. Bloomfield, Friendship, Highland Park, Polish Hill, Point Breeze, and Park Place are also contenders. I foresee East Liberty joining their ranks in the next decade. In the suburbs places like Mt. Lebanon or Dormont might work, as they both have rapid commuter rail access into the city. A bit further out you'll have Sewickley and Oakmont. The Mexican War Streets in the North Side is another option. I suppose the South Side works, too, albeit I'm not a fan.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
I don't mean to get too personal, but I'm curious as to why you are considering leaving NJ? It seems to be much closer to what you want lifestyle-wise and very close to NYC or Philly. Also, why Pittsburgh? What have you heard about it and what made you even consider it? I'm always interested in hearing from newcomers...or potential ones, at least
NJ is getting very expensive to live in and I've lived here all my life. The area of NJ I'm in isnt any better because since we are so close to NYC all the people that would like to live in NYC and can't afford it live here so there is this atmosphere of people that don't want to be here because they want to be in NYC. NYC has completely lost its appeal to me. I've been to all the museums, shows, parks, landmarks, etc.

The only times I go to NYC now are to see a new exhibit or go to a concert. To me it's a very aggressive place where most people are in a rush, rude, or snobby. I don't believe in NYC being the best city in the USA. I've visited other big cities and people just seem more down to earth and friendly and the pace of life is a little slower. I need new surroundings.. I feel stuck and I can't seem to make that jump to another city.

We've had some friends talk about how friendly Pittsburgh is and really enjoyed living there but because of work or family they had to move away.

Last summer, my husband and I took a trip around the midwest area of the USA and we very much enjoyed Milwaukee, Illinois, and Ohio and the way life seemed to be up there.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
You're not that far away. I would suggest going out for a visit before making a move. It sounds like you've never been to Pittsburgh.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You're not that far away. I would suggest going out for a visit before making a move. It sounds like you've never been to Pittsburgh.
No I haven't, but plan to go in July to take our first look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh