U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 07:42 AM

1,288 posts, read 779,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitts10yrs View Post
The problem is not the news media, police, schools, or any of the other things that are cited by the black community, but it is the black community itself. Start parenting your kids, focus on education, rather than teaching them all to be rappers and ballers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky40 View Post
Nice way to generalize the entire black community. I believe THAT is exactly what they are talking about.
This, to me, seems to be the most illuminating exchange in the entire thread and deserves to be highlighted again. Honestly, I think it dispositively makes the case that such a conversation is clearly welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 07:44 AM

39 posts, read 33,612 times
this is an interesting cultural topic. past inequalities and historic racial divisions set up a system where blacks were hindered and helped to fail - for a long time. that system has mostly been torn down through legislation. however, remnants of these past divisions are still present....i.e. blacks concentrated in black neighborhoods like homewood and the hill district and whites predominating in suburbia.

presently, i believe the collective white community takes the attitude that since the system is now mostly fixed - the playing field has now been leveled...so blacks need to take care of themselves and their own communities. the reasoning behind this logic is that for the most part, present day whites were not personally part of the system that past generations of whites constructed to hinder the black community.

present day white people are failing to grasp the fact that since an unfair system was in place for so long...it is an uphill battle to make progress...especially if the black inner city community is burdened with bad schools, low educational attainment, and high unemployment.

so the question is: how to fix a community that has been broken for so long, but one that the present day white community takes no responsibility for creating (which technically they didn't....since it was the collective white community of generations past).

so in sume: past generations of blacks were purposely hindered from prospering by past generations of whites. this now displays itself in present day inner city ghettos, which present day whites take no responsibility for since they did not personally help create them (past generations of collective white society help create them). therefore, it appears, fair or not, that inner city blacks are on their own and positive change must come from within the black community.

i have no idea how to fix the problem or even the proper approach. however, thinking of ghettos. people now think of ghettos as a poor inner city black community. however, ghettos used to also be associated with the jewish community due to antisemitism.

maybe the answer rests with how the jews were able to stay together, keep their culture and communities alive, educate themselves, and eventually prosper out of thousands of years of unfair treatment?

Old 04-22-2011, 08:28 AM

4,162 posts, read 2,693,299 times
I think nearly everyone in this thread can agree that our local media is awful. However, that doesn't excuse the fact that black leaders want a portion of the population to essentially get good PR for no reason. When a minority of the population is committing the majority of the crime, the media is going to report it, end of story. You certainly don't see Chinese, Indian, Mexican, or white leaders demanding one sided fluff pieces be inserted into any broadcasts.

Let's look at this from another angle. Last year BP dumped millions of gallons of oil into the Gulf. There was a non-stop media frenzy and commentators were bashing BP left and right (and rightfully so). Do you think people wanted to ignore the damage that oil spill caused and focus on the good things BP had done (like their scholarship and R&D programs for example)? People wouldn't have stood for fluff pieces ignoring the issue at hand. Why should a certain portion of the population be any different?

These black "leaders" should actually lead and get people to step away from slanging, shooting, and throwing up gang signs. Then the media would have nothing to report and everyone would be happy.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:31 AM

20,274 posts, read 17,255,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I think nearly everyone in this thread can agree that our local media is awful. However, that doesn't excuse the fact that black leaders want a portion of the population to essentially get good PR for no reason. When a minority of the population is committing the majority of the crime, the media is going to report it, end of story. You certainly don't see Chinese, Indian, Mexican, or white leaders demanding one sided fluff pieces be inserted into any broadcasts.
But I think they DO have a good reason to raise this issue, which is that they believe that aside from the crime stories, there are also "good PR" stories that are going disproportionately underreported without cause.

And "white leaders" don't need to raise this issue because their "good PR" stories are being disproportionately overreported. In fact, they don't think of themselves as "white leaders" and they don't think of these as "white stories", which is indicative of the problem: without there being any need for conscious bias, the overall selection of "good PR" stories can end up not fairly representing what is actually happening in the community.

This is just a hypothetical, but suppose 51% of the local media market is white, Christian, middle-class, and so forth. Suppose further that each time a local media outlet select a "good PR" story to include in that day's reporting, it just asks itself which of the many feel-good stories available that day will resonate with the most people. Instead of 51% of the feel-good stories being about white, Christian, middle-class, and so on people, that number may be much higher--maybe close to 100%. And again, that can happen with no conscious bias at all.

Finally, I know that other ethnic minorities have raised these same issues in other cities. If that hasn't happened in Pittsburgh--and in fact I don't know that to be the case--I think that would likely just reflect our relatively small portions of ethnic minorities outside of African-Americans.

Quote:
Do you think people wanted to ignore the damage that oil spill caused and focus on the good things BP had done (like their scholarship and R&D programs for example)? People wouldn't have stood for fluff pieces ignoring the issue at hand. Why should a certain portion of the population be any different?
First, again I see no evidence that anyone is saying the bad stories should be ignored. The OP claimed that, but that was a serious misstatement.

Second--of COURSE at that time BP was doing everything it could to also get out good stories. The energy companies do that in general, even when there isn't a crisis going on. And the media often goes along with it.

Let's be grownups, here--every sort of interested party tries to get the media to give it favorable coverage, and there is nothing wrong with any given interested party, including "black activitsts", participating in that process. From a neutral, third-party perspective, my concern is mostly just that the ultimate outcome is reasonably fair and representative. And if for some reason that isn't the ultimate outcome, it is not unreasonable to ask why that is happening, and see if something reasonable can be done about it.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:09 AM

939 posts, read 1,529,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
When a minority of the population is committing the majority of the crime, the media is going to report it, end of story.
Exactly exactly exactly... that proves the entire point. Your statement is not even remotely close to accurate. The fact that you believe it to be true proves the point everyone is making.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:26 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,492,827 times
*So dose anyone know if Latinos share the same negetive press in other cities???

Old 04-22-2011, 10:32 AM

40,271 posts, read 43,136,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
*So dose anyone know if Latinos share the same negetive press in other cities???
It probably depends on the city. I think it's a safe bet it happens in Arizona. Those people are crazy down there when it comes to Mexicans.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:11 AM

213 posts, read 182,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Coming from Southern Cali, I will tell you yes. Substitute "barrio" for "ghetto" and you are on your way. I think this is a problem in most American cities and can apply to any minority group where the crime rate exceeds the majority group, even if slightly.

How do you think this guy feels?
Attached Thumbnails
Black Leaders Want Local Media to Stop Reporting Crimes-news-anchor-looks-like-wanted-rapist  

Old 04-22-2011, 12:53 PM

377 posts, read 284,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburgheer View Post
this is an interesting cultural topic. past inequalities and historic racial divisions set up a system where blacks were hindered and helped to fail - for a long time. that system has mostly been torn down through legislation. however, remnants of these past divisions are still present....i.e. blacks concentrated in black neighborhoods like homewood and the hill district and whites predominating in suburbia.

presently, i believe the collective white community takes the attitude that since the system is now mostly fixed - the playing field has now been leveled...so blacks need to take care of themselves and their own communities. the reasoning behind this logic is that for the most part, present day whites were not personally part of the system that past generations of whites constructed to hinder the black community.

present day white people are failing to grasp the fact that since an unfair system was in place for so long...it is an uphill battle to make progress...especially if the black inner city community is burdened with bad schools, low educational attainment, and high unemployment.

so the question is: how to fix a community that has been broken for so long, but one that the present day white community takes no responsibility for creating (which technically they didn't....since it was the collective white community of generations past).

so in sume: past generations of blacks were purposely hindered from prospering by past generations of whites. this now displays itself in present day inner city ghettos, which present day whites take no responsibility for since they did not personally help create them (past generations of collective white society help create them). therefore, it appears, fair or not, that inner city blacks are on their own and positive change must come from within the black community.

i have no idea how to fix the problem or even the proper approach. however, thinking of ghettos. people now think of ghettos as a poor inner city black community. however, ghettos used to also be associated with the jewish community due to antisemitism.

maybe the answer rests with how the jews were able to stay together, keep their culture and communities alive, educate themselves, and eventually prosper out of thousands of years of unfair treatment?
Everything you said. And many of the same questions I ask myself but can't find the answer or solution. By the way I do think that black people should be shown more on the news doing positive things. Same for celebrating the african american children who are succeeding despite maybe being in a poor neighborhood with crappy examples.

I have had so many discussion with friends about subjects like this. A lot of people will say well white kids and black kids all have the chance at the same education. NOT TRUE AT ALL. The majority of the truly dangerous neighborhoods in this area are African American areas with crappy schools. I hate to say but it is a vicious cycle. Kids in these areas see so many things that they shouldn't. I wish I knew the solution to stopping the cycle that so many seem to fall into. It is something I think about a lot actually,as a mother and as someone who loves kids. How to help kids in poorer areas get what they need to succeed and not turn out to be one of these horrible news stories?

Old 04-22-2011, 01:03 PM

25,252 posts, read 20,315,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Sorry about that. I'm stoned on Benedryl right now. I'm a lightweight. Seasonal allergy medication knocks me on my butt.

I couldn't agree with you more. We need equal representation of minorities in positions of authority---from teachers to police officers to lawyers to judges. I can't imagine things improving until society allows this. It makes me sick that my suruban school district doesn't have any black teachers. Actually, most suburban school districts are like same. It's wrong.
There is alot of work to be done.

I do agree that the parents must be involved when it comes to education and behavior. On that note, it would be helpful for African-Americans to be represented in a better way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh