Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 07:13 AM

346 posts, read 537,215 times

Advertisements

Ewww Target beats Walmart in just about every way possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 07:16 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
I recognize that when in Target I am paying a few cents more per item to avoid the soul-crushing experience of shopping at Walmart, and I am OK with that.

That said, I will buy stuff from Walmart online.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:12 AM

346 posts, read 537,215 times
I haven't bought anything at Walmart since Halloween 2009 and then probably 2 years before that. It's so weird being there actually send me into an instant depression and when I checkout I feel like I just did something horrible, I know it's a little extreme but I feel like I need to go to confession ha ha.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:06 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,573,708 times
Walmart isn't too bad on a weekday, a weekend is another experience altogether. Super walmart is so much cheaper for groceries than the supermarket you can really save a lot of money there.

The fresh grocery/produce area of regular Targets has been very underwhelming in my experience (outside of Pittsburgh)... haven't been to a super target yet.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:40 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,381,324 times
I'd be surprised if Target does much expansion of the SuperTarget concept beyond what is already on the drawing board. They are doing very well with their PFresh initiative (the one that brought produce and more groceries into regular Targets), and it's much more cost effective. The PFresh stores don't need to employ deli staff, bakery staff, etc. and don't need to be nearly as big as SuperTargets.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:43 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,381,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I recognize that when in Target I am paying a few cents more per item to avoid the soul-crushing experience of shopping at Walmart, and I am OK with that.
Recently, Target has achieved price parity on a lot of grocery items, and if you use their 5%-off credit card, they're actually beating Walmart by a few cents per item. I don't mind Walmart at all, but right now Target appears to be the cheaper place to shop for a lot of items.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:17 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,630,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Recently, Target has achieved price parity on a lot of grocery items, and if you use their 5%-off credit card, they're actually beating Walmart by a few cents per item. I don't mind Walmart at all, but right now Target appears to be the cheaper place to shop for a lot of items.
I don't know if I would believe that. If you use a 5% off credit card, don't they get you with interst afterwards?

Old 04-22-2011, 02:43 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I don't know if I would believe that. If you use a 5% off credit card, don't they get you with interst afterwards?
Only if you don't pay it off every month, same as any typical credit card. They win on the 5% card because around half of that they'd be paying to the other credit card companies anyway. So from their side they're only giving you about 2-3% back when you figure in what their costs would have been. Plus yes, if people don't pay it off, they earn the interest themselves. That probably covers the difference. Plus they track your purchases better I'm sure although they have been able to do that fairly well even when you use a Visa/MC anyway.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:43 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Sorry! That was my bad. I was assuming that since this Target was going to be two stories, have windows, and be so large that it was a "Super Target", but I guess not.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:49 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Sorry! That was my bad. I was assuming that since this Target was going to be two stories, have windows, and be so large that it was a "Super Target", but I guess not.
On Target's wiki page, it says they are opening a Super Target in Sliberty: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_...on#SuperTarget.

Quote:
On February 15, 2011, Target announced plans to open its newest store concept, called CityTarget. The first store will be opened on State Street in Chicago.[57] The store will allocate approximately 54,000 sq ft (5,000 m2) to its sales floor, about half the size of a general merchandise Target store. CityTarget stores will carry fresh food, clothing, and apartment essentials. Many items that are carried in a general merchandise Target, but are too bulky for urban apartments or for customers to carry, will not be stocked in a CityTarget.
[edit] Urban stores

Target has used its urban store concept to open multiple story stores in city centers such as in Annapolis, The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Los Angeles, Glendale, Chicago, Pasadena, California, San Diego, Seattle, Stamford, Washington, D.C., Atlanta, Miami, New Orleans, and Minneapolis within the corporation's headquarters complex. In July 2010, a Target store opened in New York's East Harlem.[58] The company also has plans to open an Super Target urban store in Pittsburgh in the city's East Liberty section in 2011.[59]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh