Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 05:57 PM

567 posts, read 1,161,787 times

Advertisements

Parts of the Southside are permit parking (I think mostly south of Carson towards the slopes).

Getting a permit shouldn't be that hard, you just need proof of residency, proof of car ownership, and a driver's license.

From their website:
Quote:
The program began in 1981 after many residents complained they were forced to park in distant or unsafe areas due to parking congestion in business districts. Parking surveys suggested that the parking congestion could be directly attributed to commuters and other non- residents who saturated residential neighborhoods with their parked vehicles while they worked at nearby hospitals, commercial districts, and universities.

Therefore, the Residential Permit Parking program was designed to free up on-street parking for neighborhood residents by preventing all day commuters parking on residential streets. As was the case then, as well as now, the program was designed to force those folks to take public transportation or park in the nearby parking facilities.

Thus, with the implementation of the Residential Permit Parking program, and a vigorous enforcement program, the problem of commuter and nonresident parking in all the existing program areas have been considerably ameliorated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 08:23 PM

875 posts, read 1,489,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I think more of the problem was when Pitt turned the biggest parking lot in town across the street from the library into a park. Now dont get me wrong i'm neither endorsing (it does make the area 500% nicer looking), or criticizing the move (was it smart to get rid of a parking lot in an area that already severly lacked parking?), just that I think its less the fact that kids have more cars now then they did 10yrs ago and more that there is substantially less parking options available.
An inside source (old librarian) told me that many years ago when they were redeveloping Schenley Plaza following the demolition of Forbes Field they seriously were considering making an underground parking structure at the site a la Mellon Square and Soldiers and Sailors. The ultimate reason that plan was scrapped? Hydrology issues: Schenley Plaza is actually built on an infilled ravine and as such still has heavy underground water flow.

If parking is such a premium in areas such as Oakland, I don't understand how surface parking lots aren't just developed into parking garages. Same footprint, many more spaces.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:25 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala26 View Post
An inside source (old librarian) told me that many years ago when they were redeveloping Schenley Plaza following the demolition of Forbes Field they seriously were considering making an underground parking structure at the site a la Mellon Square and Soldiers and Sailors. The ultimate reason that plan was scrapped? Hydrology issues: Schenley Plaza is actually built on an infilled ravine and as such still has heavy underground water flow.

If parking is such a premium in areas such as Oakland, I don't understand how surface parking lots aren't just developed into parking garages. Same footprint, many more spaces.
Very cool to know about the underground ravine at Schenley Plaza!

As for turning surface lots into parking garages, there really aren't any giant surface parking lots in Oakland anymore are there? There might be a few here or there that you could put a small garage on, but I don't know of any large surface lots the size of Schenley Plaza that are still around.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:59 AM

59 posts, read 129,769 times
Finding street parking during summertime in Oakland really never is that terrible since so many go home for the summer. In fact... Oakland as a whole is pretty pleasant during the summer. However, the PPA continue to be pretty strict about enforcement in the summer.

I'd try to figure out a way to get your name on a bill, as I recall visitor passes are/were time limited (could only park there a week or something), however I'm not sure about that. As far as "free" non permitted parking goes, look to the other posters. Any of that WILL be inconvenient.

Side note regarding the South Side; I don't think it is permitted due to the fact that most of the parking needs happen at night with bar goers, and not during the day. Its relatively easy to find parking during daylight hours on the residential streets, especially since UPMC South Side downsized. And if you'll look at any parking decal area in the city, you're totally allowed to park there at night.

Street Sweeping will get ya though, any part of town!

Old 04-27-2011, 07:52 AM

264 posts, read 492,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Very cool to know about the underground ravine at Schenley Plaza!
There's actually a buried bridge there too.

Bellefield Bridge 1898 - Bridges and Tunnels of Allegheny County and Pittsburgh, PA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh