Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 01:23 PM

995 posts, read 2,727,009 times

Advertisements

I've done some researching on my own and a lot of schools located within PSD do not score high on the state average. Hopefully someone can shed some positive light on this minor sore spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 01:37 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone View Post
I've done some researching on my own and a lot of schools located within PSD do not score high on the state average. Hopefully someone can shed some positive light on this minor sore spot.
Having substandard schools isn't "minor". It is major. It keeps many thousands of people out of the city and the people it keeps out are the ones you want in your area because they care. There is an overwhelming number of poverty stricken residents of Pittsburgh and the home life these kids have is about as bad as anywhere in the world including third world countries. Therefore, the test scores are horrible in most every school in Pittsburgh. There are a few ways of improving it. One would be wealthier people move in the city so more people care and understand that education begins at home which would lessen the percentage of poverty families. Secondly is re-segragate the schools geographically into smaller schools, so Shadyside and Squirrel Hill areas are in one school for example. They could build a school like that up to be quite good I am sure, but that isn't how the current school system is. They make it so all the schools are bad, unless you get into a magnet school, but who wants to risk that with your child?

Sadly this will not change in the next 10 or so years, but maybe someday.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:06 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
I don't agree. Even when a particular school's individual test scores are mediocre, this does not mean that advanced or motivated kids won't be challenged. As far as I know Pittsburgh schools practice tracking - so especially at a school with a range of income levels, the education for the top students can be good. Here for example is a recent article about an Allderdice senior who is going to Yale in the fall. You can not have an inferior education and get into Yale, let me tell you.
Allderdice senior's love of origami leads to a how-to book on the subject

The problem is really when you have a school in which almost all the kids are poor - then it becomes difficult to offer a full range of AP and advanced classes.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:14 PM

357 posts, read 888,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
As far as I know Pittsburgh schools practice tracking - so especially at a school with a range of income levels, the education for the top students can be good. .
No tracking in PPS at K-5 level... at least not at the entire classroom level. Instead, they do "cluster grouping" within a classroom. in middle level they start to track in math. i suspect most of tracking happens in high school.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:20 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone View Post

Many motivated parents move outside the Pittsburgh city limits when their children turn school age because of the low test scores and achievement levels in the PSD.

As a result, the test scores fall even further, as these are the students who are more likely to excel, and are now in other school districts or in private schools.

That definitely does not mean that motivated students can't succeed in the PSD, just that their parents are much less likely to enroll them in the district in the first place.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:37 PM

995 posts, read 2,727,009 times
I know that suburban schools typically outscore inner city schools. But I've been living in suburbia for the past 5 years and I'm ready to move back into a city. However, the only thing that has kept me from doing so are the school districts.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:41 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,144,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
They make it so all the schools are bad, unless you get into a magnet school, but who wants to risk that with your child?
First off, wouldn't say that "all the schools are bad," since at least Allderdice and CAPA generally outperform national averages and consistently send students to top-tier universities.

Second, I wouldn't say that applying to a magnet program is "risking" anything. I went to two public magnet middle schools and two public magnet high schools while I was growing up in Pittsburgh -- it wasn't hard to get into any of them. I think that there is something of a misconception about how rigorous the process is at, for example, CAPA. If you've got a motivated child and you're a motivated parent, your chances are very good.

Regardless of whether you are in a magnet program, the PSP (Pittsburgh Scholars Program) and especially CAS (Center for Advanced Studies) classes at any given public school are generally going to provide educations equivalent to suburban schools. I took CAS courses all four years of high school and was able to easily compete with my peers at an "elite" private liberal arts college, who were almost uniformly educated in the country's top suburban public schools or ritzy private schools. And I did it without my parents spending a dime on my education or moving into a subdevelopment.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:50 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Many motivated parents move outside the Pittsburgh city limits when their children turn school age because of the low test scores and achievement levels in the PSD.
Thats my plan too.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:46 PM

296 posts, read 560,588 times
In all seriousness, find a the school district for a United States city that does well on standardized tests.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:38 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Masterman is one of the top schools in the state.
A batter question, are their good schools and if so, what are they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh