Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2011, 07:51 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times

Advertisements

I wanted to mention that the Trillium are in bloom in Fox Chapel. They are not as abundant as they were a decade or so ago, but they are making quite a comeback. I realize that most on here wouldn't enjoy such a thing since this is more of a NASCAR crowd that are glued to fox news and riding around in empty pickups, but there may be a few that would like to see such a site. If you drive up Fox Chapel Road and take a left on Squaw Run and continue to around Squaw Run East and look to your left and right. The carpet of Trillium are starting to return after the deer destroyed them. It takes Trillium about 7 years to make a comeback and it is nice to see they are finally returning. I took a nice ride to Cross Keys to have a little dinner tonight and really enjoyed all the flowers.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:55 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,230,102 times
That is Trillium Trail which you are refering to on Squaw Run Road. There is place to park your car and walk through the trails. They were very full along this trail when I was a youngster. It is true that they were dormant for several years. That is a beautiful stretch of nature along Squaw Run Road. It is a protected nature preserve and the reason why the speed limit is only 25 mph.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:16 AM

780 posts, read 1,384,548 times
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I wanted to mention that the Trillium are in bloom in Fox Chapel. They are not as abundant as they were a decade or so ago, but they are making quite a comeback. I realize that most on here wouldn't enjoy such a thing since this is more of a NASCAR crowd that are glued to fox news and riding around in empty pickups, but there may be a few that would like to see such a site. If you drive up Fox Chapel Road and take a left on Squaw Run and continue to around Squaw Run East and look to your left and right. The carpet of Trillium are starting to return after the deer destroyed them. It takes Trillium about 7 years to make a comeback and it is nice to see they are finally returning. I took a nice ride to Cross Keys to have a little dinner tonight and really enjoyed all the flowers.
And yet, some of us redneck wannabes don't like NASCAR but do drive pick-ups occassionally and on the whole, are very conservation minded and through our hunting efforts, have tried to get the deer overpopulation under control to bring back some diversity to the PA hardwood forests. And yes, I bird watch, take my kids in the woods and teach them about the native flaura and fauna, hunt for morels and other edible mushrooms, and on the whole, try to pass on this message to any who will listen.

PS - Our hunting license dollars support the majority of game and non-game species studies and conservation efforts and they have bought over a million acres of game lands that will always be safe from development.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:16 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,362 times
I was daydreaming while listening to the NASCAR race in my empty pickup and accidentally ran into a bunch of them fancy trillium plants - my bad.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,903 times
what is the big black fence at the top on the trail when you enter on squaw run road? it has a man made pond with a little dock in it but its fenced off and there is no signs posted that it is private property or anything like that. its very pretty but i dont understand why it is blocked off and why you arent supposed to go in there????????

Old 06-25-2012, 12:00 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,493 times
I'd love to see pictures if anyone has any, please post.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:02 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
thanks for the heads up but did you really need to work an insult into an otherwise nice and useful thread?

perhaps this is why people don't like you. just a guess.

i bet even some nascar-liking, pickup truck driving, fox news fans are interested in flowers.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:05 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
I wanted to mention that the Trillium are in bloom in Fox Chapel.
My reaction at this point in the post: "Great topic! Any photos?"

Quote:
They are not as abundant as they were a decade or so ago, but they are making quite a comeback.
My reaction at this point in the post: "Making a comeback? Cool! Definitely want to see photos."

Quote:
I realize that most on here wouldn't enjoy such a thing since this is more of a NASCAR crowd that are glued to fox news and riding around in empty pickups...
Didn't even bother reading to the end of this sentence. What was the point of throwing in a comment like this? Ruined the whole thread.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:17 AM

178 posts, read 399,568 times
Quote:
I wanted to mention that the Trillium are in bloom in Fox Chapel. They are not as abundant as they were a decade or so ago, but they are making quite a comeback. I realize that most on here wouldn't enjoy such a thing since this is more of a NASCAR crowd that are glued to fox news and riding around in empty pickups, .
Grow up, son.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:19 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Old thread revived.

Here is what a single bloom looks like.

I couldn't find a sea of Trillium, but this is a small sample.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh