Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2011, 07:05 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,760,690 times

Advertisements

Got in a nice 6 mile run after work today when the rain cleared out. Cool, overcast with a few peeks of sun...perfect weather for outdoor exercise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 08:06 PM

57 posts, read 128,634 times
Default Reading with interest

You guys are funny! I have been reading this thread lately because I am visiting Pittsburgh in a week for the first time in a while. I am hoping that the sun will shine at least a few days while I am there, at least for our family reunion picnic on Memorial Day weekend. I remember when I lived in Pittsburgh, I got the worst sunburns of my life, in May, when I used to lie out in my backyard (in Carnegie) and sunbathe. One May, I got sunstroke and woke up in the middle of the night and had a convulsion from sunbathing in May. Of course, that was before sunscreens were being widely used ( 1970's). Then I moved to Florida in 1984 and used sunscreen and never got a bad sunburn again. I'd have to say, I never realized that Pittsburgh was a dreary city until I moved to Florida and saw the sun all year around.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:52 PM

268 posts, read 372,317 times
Actually next week looks like a typical summer week for any Northeast city. Partly sunny, 80s, humid, chance of t-storm. Every time I was in OCMD during July, that was the typical week's forecast. More often that not it stayed sunny with the occasional quick shower. So cheer up! Even if it rains quickly everyday next week, the sunshine and warmth will dry it all up faster.

BorninPittsburgh, yeah you notice the contrast the further South and West you go. Most northeast/upper midwest areas have seasonal sunshine with more isolated incidents during the winter.

NEWSFLASH FROM THE WEATHER CHANNEL - They just talked about the lack of sunshine this spring for the Northeast/Upper Midwest. During Mar/Apr/May, Washington, D.C. received only 3 totally sunny days and NYC received 20. Chicago received 1 totally sunny day. And guess what Pittsburgh received? You're probably guessing 0, but actually we received 2 totally sunny days. I didn't catch the rainy days for the other cities, but we had 55 rainy days since March. At least we're not dead last like Chicago.

Last edited by mike02; 05-18-2011 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: more info.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:38 AM

14,169 posts, read 22,596,535 times
Here are some people in Maine complaining about the weather. (And Michigan and Ontario, Canada to boot.)

Old 05-19-2011, 08:47 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Here are some people in Maine complaining about the weather. (And Michigan and Ontario, Canada to boot.)
One of the few places people talk great about the weather is in Florida. That I know first hand. Of course there are those that will complain about weather no matter where they live, but I am talking about general populations, not a few people that complain about everything all the time. They are everywhere and as my mother always said, some people are happiest if they are miserable.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:38 PM

57 posts, read 128,634 times
Smile h_curtis

I lived in Florida for 24 years. People who live in Florida love to complain about the heat and humidity. But some of them secretly love it! I was one of them. But now I'm a halfback - I live in North Georgia.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:48 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,274,966 times
My son hates the long hot sunny summers here - one reason all the colleges he applied to were up north (except Chapel Hill). We'll see if he changes his tune after four years in Pittsburgh (will be at Pitt this fall for four years)

Old 05-26-2011, 01:40 PM

18,717 posts, read 30,964,234 times
Looks like you guys have a perfect, sunny 3-day weekend coming up. Maybe Memorial Day will be the end of the rain.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:55 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,346,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Looks like you guys have a perfect, sunny 3-day weekend coming up. Maybe Memorial Day will be the end of the rain.
I love this weather, but my 3rd floor apartment doesn't. I get everybody else's heat.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:16 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,596,535 times
There's been a very strong La Niña in the eastern equatorial Pacific Ocean for the last several months, which explains the bizarre weather pattern across the northern United States, the drought across the southern United States, and the widespread severe weather. The good news is, it's been weakening in the last month. The bad news is, it takes about a month for the weather pattern to catch up. It shouldn't be nearly as wet in June or July as it was in April and May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh