U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:21 PM

101 posts, read 202,716 times

Advertisements

Transplanted native New Englander here.

I actually grew up roughly 30-40 minutes from the Maine coast.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 06:46 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,679,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillsHollow View Post
Transplanted native New Englander here.

I actually grew up roughly 30-40 minutes from the Maine coast.
Acadia National Park is beautiful!

Old 05-06-2011, 06:58 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,679,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdog View Post

We are 10 minutes from all the shopping, 15 minutes to the city, and 15 minutes to the airport, yet we have deer and turkey on the hillside behind our house. .
I am glad the turkey mating season is over. I saw more than one killed on the roadways recently , when they get hit it leaves a feathery mess all over the place!
A few weeks ago I was driving near Wexford when I saw a big brown object in the middle of the road out ahead of me. I thought someone had dropped a big brown garbage bag in the middle of the road and I was like "Who the hell dumped that?" When I got closer I saw that it was a male wild turkey with his feathers all fanned out-HUGE!- and he wouldn't move!

During mating season the male turkeys will fan out to attract a female . Unfortunately because they like to sit out in the open you find them sitting in the middle of a road where they wind up getting hit by a car.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:47 AM

59 posts, read 120,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
Acadia National Park is beautiful!
My favorite place in the world. My wife and I got married in Bar Harbor and have gone there for about ten years.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:20 PM

5 posts, read 7,047 times
My spouse drove through here to get to his worksite and called to tell me how dead it was here. He said it looked like a ghost town and everything had real estate signs on it. This is a compliment in my book. I grew up in rural areas in CA as a youth, then lived in large cities with a hectic lifestyle, the latter of which I did not like. I later moved to TX where I have some family roots. The area I currently live is dangerously hot, dry, and miserable; the positive side of this was an inexpensive cost of living, a family-friendly atmosphere, some nice individuals, and the low-population density. Within the past year we have seen a dramatic increase in traffic, population, crime (there are five prisons within this relatively small town...shocking) a housing shortage, and many of the circumstances that follow. I have been through all of this before in many areas of CA, NV, and OR, and believe some change is necessary and good for the community, and some is not. Any information you can give me regarding this area is greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:40 PM

58 posts, read 64,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Let the influx of my fellow BosWash Corridor refugees into Pittsburgh begin!
Yeah right! As much as I would love for that to happen (reverse the city's declining population as well as bring some progressive thinkers to town) there's no way. Almost everyone I graduated high school with (2000) left and never looked back. I moved away for a short time, but came back in hopes that this renaissance Pgh is currently experiencing would take off. Sadly, I still have few opportunities here so I'm looking to move again. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:10 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,835,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comtesse_Gigi View Post
Yeah right! As much as I would love for that to happen (reverse the city's declining population as well as bring some progressive thinkers to town) there's no way. Almost everyone I graduated high school with (2000) left and never looked back. I moved away for a short time, but came back in hopes that this renaissance Pgh is currently experiencing would take off. Sadly, I still have few opportunities here so I'm looking to move again. Hopefully, I'm wrong.
What is your career path if I may ask?

Old 08-09-2011, 12:30 PM

812 posts, read 1,737,468 times
We loved the 5 yrs we lived in Robinson Twp! (2001-2006) We moved from the Charlotte NC area and hubby is originally from the DC area. It was great--I worked at FedEx and he was at Bayer so NO traffic for us!

I am just glad that Settlers Ridge and that new Giant Eagle weren't around or I would have been 500lbs heavier and much poorer!!

When we first moved in the only thing at the Robinson Mall was Kaufmann's and the mall was being built around it. I just learned all the crazy back roads to avoid the Parkway West parking lot. We lived off of Silver Lane in Cobblestone. We rarely saw turkey there but did have the occasional deer. I did have a BIG "flock" of turkeys that would delay my arrival at work going up the side road to FedEx on Hookstown Grade.

If we could find hubby a good paying job we would move back in a heartbeat!!!!

Old 01-07-2012, 02:36 PM

8 posts, read 13,670 times
What are the School District in Robinson Twp? Which one is an exemplary school? How about the airplanes flying over? I heard it gets loud.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:27 AM

482 posts, read 1,127,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasParrott View Post
What are the School District in Robinson Twp? Which one is an exemplary school? How about the airplanes flying over? I heard it gets loud.
I've lived out that way over 3 years now and the only time it gets loud from planes is when the Air Force reserve base is flying (they tend to fly low) or when the air show is in town (then again, I love hearing fighter jets flying overhead, something about it just says "America"). I should note, I live closer to the Imperial area, so it's not right in Robinson.

I know of West Allegheny school district and Montour school district. I never looked into them as I don't have kids.

As far as deer go, I found out about those during my first week living in the area when I smashed one on Rt 22/30. The turkeys hang out a lot near the Bayer facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh