Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 09:07 PM

367 posts, read 619,672 times

Advertisements

This is at least my fourth thread asking about where to live in Pittsburgh and for that I apologize.

My job requires me to travel in areas around Pittsburgh, Erie, West Virginia, and Eastern Ohio on a daily basis. Would Lawrenceville cause any headaches getting out of the city into any of these areas on a normal basis?

I know it is a pain when people continually ask pretty much the same questions, but I really am at a loss as to where to move. I want the convenience of a city neighborhood, but need to be able to get to the highway as easily as possible.

Thanks again,

Pete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 10:02 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,094,598 times
I live in Lawrenceville and I would say it shouldn't be a trouble to get to any of those places. Lawrenceville is a fairly easy commute to Downtown and from there you could get on to I-279 to get you to all of the places you need via that highway or the Turnpike from I-279/79 N and I-70 from I279/79 south.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:03 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,530,389 times
It'll add probably several minutes, maybe 10 or so even, to whatever the time would be from the downtown Golden Triangle area. Your shortest routes to everywhere but north on Rt 28 will all take you towards downtown first to get to the highways.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:01 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,761,808 times
That are is really doing well. Fast to the city. I would walk to the city from the lower streets, but Lawrenceville is quite large and if you are up around 50th Street that is much further from the city. It has become quite artsy and lots to do.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:03 PM

6,356 posts, read 5,002,654 times
i dont know your schedule, nor what you do and how often you would have to travel.

i would say Lawrenceville may not be the most convenient location for you, compared to other alternatives.

i think it would be easier for you live to live near Route 51 - mount washington, downtown, the south side flats in the area of 10th street, beechview.....the reason is that i find it VERY convenient to jump onto 51 from those neighborhoods and make it to I-376 or I-279 in just minutes. at many times during the day, i could probably make the parkway in less than 5 minutes (im in beechview).

however, that said - living in Lawrenceville wouldnt ALWAYS mean you will lose a significant amount of time in your travelling for work. it all depends on hour of the day and so on.

let us know if you need any more advice or suggestions. youre not being a pain - people on this board love to help.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:58 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,203,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
That are is really doing well. Fast to the city. I would walk to the city from the lower streets, but Lawrenceville is quite large and if you are up around 50th Street that is much further from the city. It has become quite artsy and lots to do.
Lawrencevile has become more artsy from around 34th Street to about 45th Street. Up to 62nd Street there is a lot of nothing, FWIW. I like what is happening from Doughboy Square to the castle of Allegheny Cemetery. Still, this stretch needs a lot of work despite what changes we have seen over the last decade. There are too may "holes" IMHO. There are used car lots, businesses that are now out of place, like Goellers Generator. There are vacant plots. The area around the 40th Street Bridge needs a better conncetion to the 30s and 40s blocks. The Arsenal School area could use some color and vibrancy, maybe like what has been done to Cupples Stadium on East Carson. It helped jazz up that area to match the vibrancy of the South Side.
I know a lot of people who try to promote Lawrenceville to newcomers and tourists. I respect this, but I am not quite as sold on the neighborhood because there is still too much grit to those expecting Shadyside, as some are depicting it. Right now it is more gritty than pretty. I will say that within the next decade it can becaome one of Pittsburgh's top two or three neighborhoods on my list. Right now, I have it #9 on my list of top city neighborhoods with a world of potential. I understand that it is no major revealation by suggesting that Lawrencevile has a long way to go, at least to those familiar with Pittsburgh. Considering I go throught the neighborhood every single day, I just want to set the record straight to any prospective newcomers. Too many websites on Pittsburgh's neighborhoods depict probably a rosier picture than is actually there because someone had a Margarita at Round Corner or tapas at Tamari. These are steps in the right direction, but the neighborhood needs more coheseiveness. The things it lacks are all very doable and probably will be done in the coming decade.

Last edited by nuwaver88; 12-24-2010 at 04:53 PM..

Old 12-24-2010, 04:37 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,820,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
I know a lot of people who try to promote Lawrenceville to newcomers and tourists. I respect this, but I am not quite as sold on the neighborhood because there is still too much grit to those expecting Shadyside, as some are depicting it. Right now it is more gritty than pretty.
Well said.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:28 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,761,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
I know a lot of people who try to promote Lawrenceville to newcomers and tourists. I respect this, but I am not quite as sold on the neighborhood because there is still too much grit to those expecting Shadyside, as some are depicting it. Right now it is more gritty than pretty.
Shadyside is much more expensive than Lawrenceville. I don't think I would compare them. Not really anything alike.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:50 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,203,863 times
Quote:
Shadyside is much more expensive than Lawrenceville. I don't think I would compare them. Not really anything alike.
Understood. I just want those unfamiliar to understand. If one wants to be somewhat of a pioneer and can take the grit and the fact that the neighborhood is not quite "there" yet, but has the patience to be a part of a changing neighborhood, take a look at Lawrenceville. I am not ripping on the neighborhood, but I am not going to sugarcoat it either. I am telling it like it is.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:02 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,820,283 times
Quote:
That's what he meant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh