Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 03:13 PM

53 posts, read 82,215 times

Advertisements

That sounds like a reasonable commute.
So I thought I'd found a property that looked interesting and decided to Google Maps it for the satellite view. Lo and behold

I think I'm going to pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 07:07 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,376,922 times
Why Mt. Washington is safe enough... The southern side is where were most of the petty crimes & robberies happen, and yet that section still isn't that bad... Part of Mt. Washington is iffy at the most but if the grit or the shoes thrown on the electric line deter you... It shoudn't...Now when you see shoes hanging on the line in near by Beltzhoover or Allentown then it actually means: drugs are hustled on dis block!

Old 05-12-2011, 07:15 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
I wouldn't let some shoes hanging on a telephone wire stop me from renting in Mt. Washingto. Heck, there are shoes hanging on telephone wires in my perfectly respectable neighborhood in Hampton. Non-drug-dealing-poser-teens do that for kicks. I wouldn't even call them wannabees.

The only time I'd pay attention to shoes hanging on a telephone wire is if I were in a neighborhood that was known for being downright too dangerous to be. It's rare I'm in those neighborhoods but sometimes I take short cuts through them in my car.

I'd walk through Mt. Washington at night. Heck, I have walked through Mt. Washington at night---at various times in my life and even very recently!

Old 05-12-2011, 07:41 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,253,627 times
Mt. Washington is a pretty wide area, makes it somewhat problematic to make generalizations about the area.

There is a huge difference between a condo on Grandview, the back streets in Duquesne Heights and the Mt. Washington Hollow, or the area near Allentown and Beltzhoover.

And considering the fact that "Mt. Washington" is considered more desirable that Beltzhoover, I'm sure there are a few real estate folks who will describe the latter as the former in their ads.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:29 PM

Lol, it's not just the shoes. The house next door on one side is for sale (probably been for a while- I'd have to check to confirm). The house on the other side looks dark and abandoned (though people probably do live there... maybe), and the house in question's front yard looks like it's been hacked up by some kind of strange undertaker and formerly used as a haphazard dumping ground.

Maybe I'm being too harsh and perhaps I should take the house across the street into consideration (looks like the homes on other side of the street are up about 10 feet higher) - it's surrounded by mini American flags all along the property line. That is, unless it's the home of some patriotic pushers...

The house is located about 5 streets west of Beltzhoover and not far from Warrington Field. I think I should keep looking...

Old 05-12-2011, 08:39 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,253,627 times
Warrington Field and Kingsboro St are definitely considered to be part of Mt. Washington.

But its a world apart from Grandview Ave., the inclines and restaurants and the wonderful vistas that people associate with the community.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:45 PM

Translation: Ok to keep looking.
Yes? :P

Old 05-12-2011, 08:57 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,376,922 times
In that location the only thing you should worry 'bout is car jackings in the summer... In that area of Allentown/ Beltzhoover bordering Mt W is where almost all of the thefts/auto thefts/littering of the neighborhood occurs... Weather it be the crip gang members from Allentown/Betlzhoover or a few shaddy characters of Mt Washington some group of thugs steal in that area... All in all it is relativly safe, though I'd call it iffy... You don't have to worry about voilent crimes effecting you unless you wanna get involved with selling & buying dope. Also, alot of Pittsburgh architeture looks gritty/old, and often times streets aren't well preserved. Yet those places can be some of the safest in the city. Such as Oakland or the Southside.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:40 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,357,825 times
A good rule of thumb is that the neighborhood is "best" in the streets between the two inclines and between Grandview and Virginia, generally. But like others have said I wouldn't call it bad anywhere really, at least where I've been.

The biggest problem up here is graffiti, mostly done by "gangs" (I don't think real gangs) of 10-14 Y.O. idiot kids. It IS a real issue, and I'm sure it doesn't make a good impression on people visiting our city.

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; 05-13-2011 at 05:53 AM..

Old 05-13-2011, 06:33 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
The biggest problem up here is graffiti, mostly done by "gangs" (I don't think real gangs) of 10-14 Y.O. idiot kids. It IS a real issue, and I'm sure it doesn't make a good impression on people visiting our city.
Agreed. When I was apartment-hunting late last year the first things I noticed about Mt. Washington were the graffiti-tagging and litter everywhere. Then again I settled on Polish Hill, which is also replete with trash and graffiti, so to each his own, as I feel perfectly safe here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh