Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 06:38 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Now when you see shoes hanging on the line in near by Beltzhoover or Allentown then it actually means: drugs are hustled on dis block!
Is that what that means? LOL, I always thought it was just kids being silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 07:01 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Agreed. When I was apartment-hunting late last year the first things I noticed about Mt. Washington were the graffiti-tagging and litter everywhere. Then again I settled on Polish Hill, which is also replete with trash and graffiti, so to each his own, as I feel perfectly safe here.
And the thing is that at least from what I've seen, it's mostly not that older teenage crowd you might expect. It's packs of little 12 or 13-year-old brat kids. Maybe it should be legal to BB-gun them.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:00 PM

53 posts, read 82,281 times
W Warrington Ave isn't Mt Washington, is it? Listing agent says yes, Zillow says Beltzhoover.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:07 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newpgher View Post
W Warrington Ave isn't Mt Washington, is it? Listing agent says yes, Zillow says Beltzhoover.

It honestly depends on who you ask. Sometimes these neighborhoods have kinda fuzzy borders. I'm sure the agent used Mt Washington because it has a better reputation than Beltzhoover.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:34 PM

540 posts, read 868,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newpgher View Post
According to the map of neighborhoods on the city's web site, W. Warrington is the border between Mt. Washington and Beltzhoover. I don't know what that means for the street itself, maybe one side of the street is Mt. Washington and the other side is Beltzhoover?

Last edited by trotter_rej; 05-16-2011 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 05-16-2011, 01:23 PM

92 posts, read 145,766 times
the official border is kingsboro street (one block up from warrington)

ALso -- like any urban area it;s street to street... and yes that area can have some dumpy properties around, but I have lived right around there (and own a few rentals there as well) for 8 years.

one time someone stole something out of my car, but i did leave my door unlocked.

i wouldnt want to live on Ruxton st, but I would live on Kathleen street.

lots of great young poeple in that sub neoghborhood. and through my involvement with the local community group, I've oddly heard more complaints about the "nicer" duquesne heights side of the mount.

tons of college retnals, loud parties, no parking etc...

Old 05-16-2011, 01:48 PM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpgh View Post
So Zillow:1, Realtor: 0 (-1).
Quote:
i wouldnt want to live on Ruxton st, but I would live on Kathleen street.
Kathleen, you say?

Quote:
lots of great young poeple in that sub neoghborhood. and through my involvement with the local community group, I've oddly heard more complaints about the "nicer" duquesne heights side of the mount.
From what I've seen so far in my searches (online), a lot of what's available for sale in Duquesne Heights is former rental/current Sec 8 property that boast about having a current tenant or a good rental history. Nothing against that, but it's not the same as owner-occupied, so I can see why there are now more complaints there in that "nicer" area. The stuff I've seen that's listed in Mt. Washington seems less likely to have been a former rental from what I've seen so far.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:55 PM

Oh, and related to Mt Washington properties, here's a pic on a listing:

Is there something significant that I'm supposed to be noticing from this picture? I'm from a land of no hills so all I'm getting is

Old 05-16-2011, 01:56 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
From what I've seen so far in my searches (online), a lot of what's available for sale in Duquesne Heights is former rental/current Sec 8 property
Really? I would have thought that Duquesne Heights would be mostly owner-occupied or rental and very little Section 8. But I haven't lived up there in 5 years, so maybe things have changed.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:21 PM

540 posts, read 868,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpgh View Post
Kingsboro St. is the border up to where it ends at Haberman Ave. From there, the border follows Haberman south to E. Warrington, then follows Warrington going west. So going back to the original question, it seems that West Warrington Ave. is part of the border. I do realize though, that neighborhood borders in Pittsburgh are often different in practice from what the official city maps show. So it's possible that your agent may be technically telling the truth about a property that no Mt. Washington resident would consider part of the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh