Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 06:16 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,774,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Yet WH0 would buy/rent in LARIMER!/? There is currently a high state of crime and depending on what street there's an ever present threat of being mugged or jumped... Larimer LAWs have enough fire power to feud with Lincoln-Lemmington, East Liberty, Garfield, & Homewood gangs... Not even urban pioneers look into Larimer. Plus if the crime doesnt turn people off its the litter, blight & urban decay!
I rode my bike through there all the time going to the food co-op. It is a tough little place, but there is a cool garden in the middle of town. I have always been amazed it was there with all the abandon cars and homes everywhere. Someone or a few people took the time to plant some corn and such on a vacant lot.

I believe that big church is for sale, but it has been a while since I looked. I remember thinking it was amazingly cheap for such a big place.

The area is pretty small though and could be taken over by people with some means at some point. Just depends if East Liberty gets more influx of those with some money to clean up such a mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 11:37 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,176,371 times
Why do the urban redevelopment plans always focus on the eastern side of the city? Is it because these areas generally abut the wealthier neighborhoods (Shadyside, Point Breeze, Regent Square)? You see what planting a few seeds for East Liberty has done to turn the tide there over time. I'd like to see just one or two projects actually get moving (past the talking phase) in my neighborhood (Sheraden) or one nearby. If they wait another 10 years they may not have much to work with.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:56 AM

6,596 posts, read 8,913,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
Why do the urban redevelopment plans always focus on the eastern side of the city? Is it because these areas generally abut the wealthier neighborhoods (Shadyside, Point Breeze, Regent Square)? You see what planting a few seeds for East Liberty has done to turn the tide there over time. I'd like to see just one or two projects actually get moving (past the talking phase) in my neighborhood (Sheraden) or one nearby. If they wait another 10 years they may not have much to work with.
Yes, I think the location next to already desirable neighborhoods plays a large factor. The east end is also home to Oakland and is connected to downtown without having to cross a river, and for most neighborhoods, not having to go through a tunnel either.

It all goes back to the real estate saying "location, location, location." That's why many of the neighborhoods near the rivers on either side of downtown are also both seeing their share of revitalization efforts.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:07 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,869,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
That's why many of the neighborhoods near the rivers on either side of downtown are also both seeing their share of revitalization efforts.
Indeed--the North Side and the South Side have also seen a lot of action lately, which in turn can also be explained by proximity to Downtown and/or Oakland. I know this can be a frustrating process, but it really does make sense to build out from areas of strength.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:12 PM

I think us west-enders are forgotten because we are down the river, over the hill, and out of sight. Its really a shame because as far as location goes, we have it made. I can be downtown in 5 minutes, to work in Lawrenceville in 10-15 minutes, and to all points north, south, and west without having to get on a highway or go through a tunnel (Corliss doesn't count). I really wish people realized this.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:27 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,552,795 times
The predominantly black neighborhoods of the East End have political representatives who are very focused on the goal of applying public resources to benefit their constituents, as both these articles suggest:

Ravenstahl supports Burgess; opponents say he's 'disconnected' - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Pittsburgh officials tout Homewood as next redevelopment site

A Google News search for "Theresa Kail-Smith" (city councillor for District 2 including Sheraden) produces no hits, so it's hard to say how active she is in the scramble for public resources to benefit her constituents.

I don't think politics ought to be reduced to a grabbing-contest, but Pittsburgh has a long history of local politics as tribal warfare. In this case, it may not serve everyone equally, but it is at least possible to make the case that pork-barrel grubbing for one constituency happens to benefit the entire community - a rising tide in the East End will eventually lift boats everywhere in the city.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:33 PM

I think you've gotten to the root of our problem, or one of them. We need more vocal, active leadership. We get a lot of talk and little/no action. A few years back when wewere plagued by a rash of arson, Kail-Smith's only response was basically "clean up your porches and trash". Not impressive at all.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:17 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,869,081 times
I agree the prime location of the West End with respect to Downtown is too-often overlooked. I am confident that will change sooner or later, but it may be a little while yet.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:30 PM

4,692 posts, read 8,986,083 times
I work in Lincoln-Lemington (right off Lincoln Avenue), and I drive through Larimer pretty much every day. It's a tough neighborhood, and one of the most blighted in the city. As you go up Lincoln Avenue, it only gets worse. There are so many abandoned, deteriorating, boarded up properties, most of which are beyond restoration. In ten years, the neighborhood will probably be more urban prairie than intact urban neighborhood. That said, I don't ever feel unsafe driving through Larimer. The neighborhood seems pretty quiet. I see kids waiting for busses in the morning when I drive through, and at night I don't see anybody. As you go up Lincoln Avenue, into the Lincoln-Lemington neighorhood, that is where the majority of the crime is, and I can attest to the gunshots we hear at work in the summer.

If you like Larimer, go for it. Be an urban pioneer. Just don't pay too much for the property. You might not ever be able to sell it. The stigma of living in a neighborhood perceived as "bad" in Pittsburgh is intense. People will judge you, be afraid to visit you, and ask if they are going to get shot when they do visit.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:34 PM

4,692 posts, read 8,986,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
I think us west-enders are forgotten because we are down the river, over the hill, and out of sight. Its really a shame because as far as location goes, we have it made. I can be downtown in 5 minutes, to work in Lawrenceville in 10-15 minutes, and to all points north, south, and west without having to get on a highway or go through a tunnel (Corliss doesn't count). I really wish people realized this.
I'm also fed up with the way all the attention is focused on the East End.

Nothing ever happens unless it's in the East End, it seems.

There are so many beautiful neighborhoods to the North, South, and West of the city that are overlooked for neighborhoods like Larimer and East Liberty (blech!), both of which look like they could be neighborhoods in Toledo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh