Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 01:12 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I agree. Fayette County is honestly dragging down the Pittsburgh metro in a way (it lost significantly more people than expected in the 2000's and has a high poverty rate). I would never live there and would say Westmoreland County would be a much nicer place to live in.
The reason Fayette County is part of the Pittsburgh MSA is that anybody there who's motivated finds a job in Westmoreland County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 09:11 AM

116 posts, read 212,311 times
I don't see how Fayette County is dragging the metro down. Are we just referring to the population aspect?

Old 09-21-2011, 09:43 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyTheHun View Post
I don't see how Fayette County is dragging the metro down. Are we just referring to the population aspect?
It's poorer, less educated and less diverse than the Pittsburgh MSA as a whole, and the population is shrinking faster.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:44 AM

116 posts, read 212,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
It's poorer, less educated and less diverse than the Pittsburgh MSA as a whole, and the population is shrinking faster.
I concur, but since Fayette has such a small population, I don't see how it could impact the metro region significantly.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:25 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,567 times
As of 3 years ago, I heard that the government was the largest employer in Fayette County. My aunt is a social worker and I remember her making the comment. Police, teachers, probation officers, social workers, etc. I grew up there and luckily made it out...

Uniontown does have a chance, however. Route 43 is now connected to Morgantown, which is growing. And the marcellus shale drilling may help the area.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:12 PM

11 posts, read 14,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
"good part of town that is nice"

That threw me too.
To PeterRabbit and Love2Golf:

I can't even believe I'm about to say this *gulp* BUT as much as I absolutely LOATHE Connellsville, there really are some beautiful areas. Yes, believe it or not, if the mindset of the people here were different, there would be some very enjoyable areas to live and nice homes if you like a more rural environment.

I recently relocated back to Connellsville from Los Angeles (imagine the torture I'm going through! and it's my husbands fault!) and it has lasted a very short time. We are putting our house on the market and heading for Shadyside.

Too bad I didn't see this post sooner, I would have rented my house, which is a very nice 3 bedroom tudor. Very pretty and my neighbors really are great people and lots of kids. My kicker is, the bad outweighs the good here and I just can't adjust to this rural living and the lack of diversity in races/culture.

See you in Shadyside!

Last edited by pegetto; 09-21-2011 at 05:32 PM..

Old 09-22-2011, 01:12 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,308 times
I'll tell you that things are bad enough that the younger people from Connellsville eventually move out of town in search of better job opportunities and cultural life.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
I don't mean to sound rude, but there is no good part of connellsville. Connellsville makes Uniontown look like peters twp. The only worse place in Fayette county would probably be brownsville. You can search Craigslist, look in Sunday's herald-standard and get the local c'ville paper...I think its called the courier or something. Rentals there will not be nice since the quality of housing is very poor. My only suggestion would be to either move to uniontown where there would be more rentals and slightly better quality, or look in westmoreland county, like mt.pleasant, where the rentals would be nicer but probably not much available. What is the reason that you're so determined to live in connellsville? If you have friends or family there, I'm sure you could live near greensburg and be only a half hr drive away.
well i was born and raised in cville and Connellsville is a good place to live but at the moment i dont know of anything for rent or sale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh