Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 12:27 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Well, I don't watch much news, for one thing. And on the rare occasion I do, I change the channel when the sports report comes on. Since I read the news, there's literally no reason why I would know about sports events, other than days like the Super Bowl, when the entire city shuts down. The only other time I notice anything sportsesque is when something literally gets in my way, like this marathon.

And there are other runs, right? One for breast cancer, I think, and probably others. They all kind of run together if they aren't your thing.

You say "Marine Corps Marathon," I hear "Blah, blah, blah, blah..."
So you're not really aware of your surroundings & what's going on being that this isn't really a sporting event per se at all but a city event in the same vein as say a st Patrick's parade or regatta or a bicentennial celebration, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 02:28 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Well, I don't watch much news, for one thing. And on the rare occasion I do, I change the channel when the sports report comes on. Since I read the news, there's literally no reason why I would know about sports events, other than days like the Super Bowl, when the entire city shuts down. The only other time I notice anything sportsesque is when something literally gets in my way, like this marathon.

And there are other runs, right? One for breast cancer, I think, and probably others. They all kind of run together if they aren't your thing.

You say "Marine Corps Marathon," I hear "Blah, blah, blah, blah..."
And the marathon happens every year. It 'inconveniences you' every year. One would think you would start to actually plan ahead after the first year.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:23 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
So you're not really aware of your surroundings & what's going on being that this isn't really a sporting event per se at all but a city event in the same vein as say a st Patrick's parade or regatta or a bicentennial celebration, etc.
I don't see Dick's run as being comparable to the Bicentennial, no. Not even close. Obviously it has great meaning for you, and I hope you enjoyed it. I wish it ran past your house.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
And the marathon happens every year. It 'inconveniences you' every year. One would think you would start to actually plan ahead after the first year.
This is only the second year I've lived in the path of the race, and they changed the route somewhat, such that I wasn't expecting I'd have to deal with it. Dick's map said it was supposed to go down my street late in the race, which I took to mean 11 AM earliest, but there were people running down my street around 9:30-10 AM (I think--I didn't look at the time). A friend and I have breakfast every Sunday morning at 9, and we weren't able to get to either of our usual spots. (Oddly, the place we could get to had a much smaller crowd than usual, presumably because "everyone" stayed home who wasn't in the race.)

What I don't understand is why it's so important to you that I know when this race is. I can't believe this discussion has gone on this long.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:40 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Dunno man. It's perfectly fine that you didn't know. I do find it surprising that it would be possible to live on the route and not know, though, kinda like a parade route and such. But then I've never lived on the route, and I tend to read a lot of news. Plus, it sounds like something changed from the previous year so that would have caught you by surprise.

The Pittsburgh Marathon actually had a lapse for a few years (wasn't held), so it was news (not sports but news news) last year when it was finally held again, and it was news this year when a larger than before field was completely filled, including inviting elite runners and being a qualifier for the Boston Marathon. (Anyone can run the Pittsburgh Marathon, but not anyone can sign up for the more prestigious Boston Marathon.)

Marathon is a sport, for sure, and I didn't pay attention to who was running or who won or whatever because many times I don't much care about sports details, especially at this time of year. But the holding of a large-scale event in the city is news I paid attention to, just like the NRA convention. I was away this weekend though so didn't have to consider any traffic issues. And I admit missed whatever meeting might have made our parking garage fuller than usual today, something not quite as large perhaps but enough to have a number of extra obvious rental cars and out of state cars parked in there.

Anyway, point being I can see why someone would be surprised you didn't know, but I can equally see why you ended up stuck this time around.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:26 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Notices were put in the mailboxes or doors of the places on the route (and some of the streets paralleling it to tell them not to park on the street that day, so it seems bizarre to not know about it. How do I know? I was on the route.
Though even more bizarre to complain that an event which brings thousands of people into the city to spend their $$ which keeps things operating here and helps fill the city coffers interfered somehow with a sunday morning breakfast. It really boggles the mind how some people find the word progress so appalling. (and yes, believe it or not, a city hosting a successful marathon is progress).

Its slated to be here at least through 2021, so everyone should get used to it. And the event started at 7am, so that means some of the runners were done with the entire course by 9:30 as an fyi.

In other news, another downer for the city is that batman is slated to be filmed here this summer...

Old 05-17-2011, 07:25 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
In other news, another downer for the city is that batman is slated to be filmed here this summer...
Yinz all better ready those lawn chairs to claim yer stakes before those darn outta-staters start taking dem der spots!

Old 05-17-2011, 07:38 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
I do get a kick out of people that complain about something like the Marathon. People are pretty sad. W used to host a bike race called the Thrift Drug Classic and Lance Armstong raced here. That was too cool, but most Pittsburgh'ers don't have a clue. I have hung out with Lance in the burgh and he has found memories of riding up Sycamore Street. lol Ah well, there are plenty of Yinzers around to make the place colorful.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Notices were put in the mailboxes or doors of the places on the route (and some of the streets paralleling it to tell them not to park on the street that day, so it seems bizarre to not know about it. How do I know? I was on the route.
Though even more bizarre to complain that an event which brings thousands of people into the city to spend their $$ which keeps things operating here and helps fill the city coffers interfered somehow with a sunday morning breakfast. It really boggles the mind how some people find the word progress so appalling. (and yes, believe it or not, a city hosting a successful marathon is progress).

Its slated to be here at least through 2021, so everyone should get used to it. And the event started at 7am, so that means some of the runners were done with the entire course by 9:30 as an fyi.

Dear God in heaven. All I said was this:
Quote:
I was a little inconvenienced yesterday as access to Negley Avenue was closed off considerably earlier than the map led me to anticipate, but ultimately it was NBD.
From listening to you rant on (and on, and on), you'd think I was sitting on my porch throwing rocks at the runners. All I'm guilty of is that I just don't care about the race. It's not interesting to me. That you construe this to mean I find "progress so appalling" is testament to your poor reading skills, not anything I said. Again, I was a little inconvenienced. But it was ultimately No Big Deal.

Now go away. You bore me.

A movie being shot, now that's inherently interesting. They can come and shoot on my block anytime they like. Who's playing Robin?

Old 05-18-2011, 05:16 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
What I don't understand is why it's so important to you that I know when this race is. I can't believe this discussion has gone on this long.
I am just surprised people pay that little attention to what is going on, and then whine about it online after the fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh