Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 10:22 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,579,106 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are interested in putting a new front door/storm door on our home, and I'm curious if anyone on here has had similar work done recently and would be able to recommend a company? I suppose we could always go with home depot, but I have concerns over the quality of work and would rather not pay less money for a job that would need to be redone in 5 years.

Any and all input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 11:01 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,861,408 times
Our regular general contractor did some new screen/storm doors for us. It was challenging because the house is old enough that nothing is remotely standard. Generally these guys do good work and are very reasonably priced.

If you are interested, it is Commowealth Heating & Remodeling, based in Monroeville (the owner is Les Dukeheart).

Last edited by BrianTH; 05-17-2011 at 11:23 AM..

Old 05-17-2011, 11:05 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,579,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Our regular general contractor did some new screen/storm doors for us. It was challenging because the house is old enough that nothing is remotely standard. Generally these guys do good work and are very reasonably priced.

If you are interested, it is Commowealth Heating & Remodeling, based on Monroeville (the owner is Les Dukeheart).
Thanks for the info Brian. I'll give them a call and see if I can schedule an estimate.

Our home is also quite old and will require some custom work.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:24 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,861,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
Our home is also quite old and will require some custom work.
These guys have been around forever and really know these old homes. Good luck!

Old 05-17-2011, 11:48 AM

598 posts, read 743,147 times
Home Depot installers are not necessarily all that bad.

I've ordered interior doors installed from Lowes once. While the service at the store was far from perfect, the installer who came to my house was very professional. In fact, what these big stores do is they hire independent contractors to do these kind of installations for them. The guy who worked on my house actually runs his own business, owns all of his tools, the trailer to haul them around, etc. He installed something close to a dozen doors including frames and all of the casing, I've never had any issues.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:15 AM

911 posts, read 2,366,754 times
thermo twin did 2 doors and 11 windows for me and did a very nice job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh