Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 08:20 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,527,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloride1 View Post
Living near the Mon incline on Mt Washington would also be good. You would have the added benefit of walkability to grocery, post office, etc.
Thanks, I was actually thinking of Mon Incline but wrote Duquesne.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 08:29 PM

OT, but since you're going there, reputation is not an approval ratio. Many reps (one each from many different people) can be given to the same post. Funny and/or snarky posts like Mein's often get rep'd multiple times, whereas more mundane info posts often never get rep'd.

Nothing wrong with that at all. Just don't pretend it's a percentage. One number is a count of total posts. The other is a count of total reps. The reps will come mainly from multiple reps of specific, popular posts. Surely you've seen this pattern in your own reputation info.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:44 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,040,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
OT, but since you're going there, reputation is not an approval ratio. Many reps (one each from many different people) can be given to the same post. Funny and/or snarky posts like Mein's often get rep'd multiple times, whereas more mundane info posts often never get rep'd.

Nothing wrong with that at all. Just don't pretend it's a percentage. One number is a count of total posts. The other is a count of total reps. The reps will come mainly from multiple reps of specific, popular posts. Surely you've seen this pattern in your own reputation info.
I'm not sure if this was directed to me or not, but I was just joking around in my post. I don't put much stock in the rep points/ratings.

Let me see if I can get sort of back on topic. I wonder what the percentage of rentals in the Pittsburgh area is that don't allow pets. Is it 70%-80%?

Old 05-21-2011, 09:04 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,858,542 times
I've only rented at three and all of them allowed pets. Chestnut Ridge in Robinson (Great location, terrible everything else.), Hawthorne Apartments in Oakdale (Same.), and a private landlord in Overbrook (Everything but the location was awesome, but oh well.)

Anecdotal, of course.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:38 AM

524 posts, read 1,030,651 times
If you can go up a bit in price, the Highland Park Club Apartments in Highland Park have everything you want starting at $845, which includes gas heat, which if you're paying for gas heat separately, could be in your price range anyways. I've never rented from them, but have known people who have, and they haven't had any problems with them.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:34 AM

My rentals with my cat were at 625 Stanwix, downtown (where I know they take even large dogs; I don't know the deposit policies as I wasn't paying the rent there), a converted house in Mt Washington (individual landlord that let me have a cat with extra refundable deposit) and Cliffside Manor in Emsworth (where they took cats but not dogs, extra refundable deposit). I also looked at once, way back when they were barely finished or perhaps not even finished building it, the Morgan at North Shore (originally Lincoln at North Shore). They allowed just cats as well, and only in certain buildings of the complex. I couldn't afford to live there at the time.

I would say that for cats you would be more like 50/50, or maybe 60% not allowed. It's dogs where you would see 80% not allowed and large dogs would push it higher than that as some places allow small dogs but not large ones. Some complexes even back when I last looked over 10 years ago had additional monthly rent ($30-40 range) and/or additional non-refundable pet deposits.

The most annoying problem is still landlords who don't want pets but can't be bothered to put that in their ads. Wastes both parties' time. Ridiculous.

Cliffside would have been marginally useful to the OP, probably 11-12 miles to Shadyside Hospital (was about 8 miles to downtown), but their policy these days, perhaps after ownership change or something, says no pets. Ugh.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:27 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,595,178 times
I don't understand the ratio thing. But if you sometimes do get repped,they are from non-members. Maybe lurkers who know nothing about MGM are giving him reps because they are reading snarky remarks that they think are funny.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 1,927 times
Thank you for all of your responses so far! I am impressed at bryn mawr apartments but wary about how close it is to Wilkensburg which I heard was not so safe. Still looking! Your comments are so helpful and welcome!

Old 05-22-2011, 03:52 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,040,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rentallooker View Post
Thank you for all of your responses so far! I am impressed at bryn mawr apartments but wary about how close it is to Wilkensburg which I heard was not so safe. Still looking! Your comments are so helpful and welcome!
I think you mean Wilkinsburg, and yes, parts of it are not safe. However, the the mawr apartments are in Forest Hills, a pretty safe area. I wouldn't walk down into Wilkinsburg, but it should be safe to drive through that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh