Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 03:55 PM

6,596 posts, read 8,916,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I just got back from a nice walk with a friend of mine from NOVA. I just asked him if he thought the Pittsburgh area was segregated. He laughed and said, of course it is. I have posted numbers that say it is very segregated with areas that are overwhelmingly black.

Maybe we are looking at this differently? I agree that any black can move in any area and I don't think many would pay attention to it, unless it is a place like Springdale or the like, but anywhere in Pittsburgh, I don't think people would notice. If that is your meaning, I agree, but if you think there are not huge pockets of whites and blacks in and around the city, I have to disagree because the numbers I posted.

I don't think this stuff has much meaning. Blacks and whites can move about and I don't think there would be anyone caring much about any of it. Maybe there are many black people that would prefer to live amongst black people and whites that want to live amongst whites? Asians that want to live around Asians, Jews that want to live in Jewish areas? Whatever floats peoples boats. No meaning that I can see from it all. Who cares?
There are pockets, but not as many as it at first comes across. Using the numbers you posted earlier, Bloomfield isn't that far off from what would be proportionate for the city (and is actually disproportionately black for the metro area), and even Central Lawrenceville at 92% white is about right for the metro area, which as I pointed out earlier is almost 90% white.

I agree with you that all of this stuff doesn't have much meaning; all that matters in my view is that any minority can move anywhere without many issues, if any at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 05:13 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,852,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillsHollow View Post
I got to admit this New Englander native is finding this conversation an absolute hoot.

You want to see segregated?

Go north. There are NO people of color in most parts of New England. The high school I attended was 100% white.

I think some people in this post are seriously giving Pittsburgh a very bad rap.
These people have never seen true segregation in its truest form, and I'm sorry Pittsburgh is not it.

They're judging Pittsburgh on Pittsburgh alone....

Old 05-29-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
I agree with you that all of this stuff doesn't have much meaning; all that matters in my view is that any minority can move anywhere without many issues, if any at all.
And that cannot be said for A LOT of other cities in America where all catagories minorities live in segregated enclaves.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I just got back from a nice walk with a friend of mine from NOVA. I just asked him if he thought the Pittsburgh area was segregated. He laughed and said, of course it is. I have posted numbers that say it is very segregated with areas that are overwhelmingly black.
The only area that overwhelmingly black are ghettos...as they typically are in America...You still havent shown any stats that prove their are neighborhood that are of 100% white...And my whole arguement was on Segregation as whole not only Black and White, but enthicity as well as lifestyle segregation.

I just showed you the 10 most segregated cities in America, where's Pittsburgh then?

And oh the asking you friend thing...he should be one to laugh, NOVA and DC metro is far more segregated than metro Pittsburgh. Talk about the Haves and Have Nots

Old 05-29-2011, 09:16 PM

758 posts, read 1,219,025 times
So where are the poor white enclaves and are they segregated from the white middle class areas?..
This is more of a class issue...I would be curious as to how middle class whites regard poor whites..

I think class differences among Black Americans get lost among non-black people

Old 05-29-2011, 09:32 PM

758 posts, read 1,219,025 times
Read the 10 most segregated cities...Now that I think about it, when I went to New York City,
Chicago and D.C... The cities with these large black populations..I was downtown in all of these areas
and didn't see that many black people at all...In Alexandria, VA. where I stayed I saw a lot of Somali
people.. In New York I stayed in a co-op on the Upper East Side, Chicago, I stayed on Lake Shore Drive..

Then again I did see a lot of black people in downtown Brooklyn when I walked over there...but not that
many in Manhattan..It is like they don't go downtown like they do here..so Pittsburgh is more integrated

than those cities..

Old 05-29-2011, 10:01 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,048,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
...I would be curious as to how middle class whites regard poor whites..
All you have to do is go to post #7 of this thread to see how some white middle class feels about poor whites. Unfortunately, I've seen that kind of attitude numerous times on this forum.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:51 AM

14,169 posts, read 22,596,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
All you have to do is go to post #7 of this thread to see how some white middle class feels about poor whites. Unfortunately, I've seen that kind of attitude numerous times on this forum.
What's wrong with pointing out that poor white Pittsburghers are known to be racist and have given the city a bad reputation among minorities? And what's wrong with pointing out that such people are not representative of the entire city/region even though they tend to speak the loudest?

Old 05-30-2011, 03:05 AM

Its the Poor White trash I see hanging with the hood blacks the most in the Pittsburgh...Don't know where you got that one..To be honest the Poor White Trash identifies more with Blacks than they do the elitest snobs of Shadyside and Fox Chapel.

The most racist segment in Pittsburgh is thankfully dying off as we speak.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:08 AM

101 posts, read 217,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
So where are the poor white enclaves and are they segregated from the white middle class areas?..
This is more of a class issue...I would be curious as to how middle class whites regard poor whites..

I think class differences among Black Americans get lost among non-black people
Seriously? Have you been outside the city limits?

Drive 88 and take a good look at the poorer white communities along the Mon River sometime.

Go to Brownsville. Freddrick Town, and Green County in general.

Brownsville is roughly 99% white and could give any of the poor black areas in Pittsburgh a run for it's money. Scary. Trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh