Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 08:45 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
There were not only middle-class but also AFFLUENT African-American neighborhoods in and around Washington, DC, where I moved here from. I'd wager a bet that many of those blacks weren't exactly born with silver spoons in their mouths. Instead of spouting sour grapes or gaming the system they did what many of the whites they malign did---studied hard, worked hard, sacrificed, and reaped the benefits of their labor. I still think it's a shame there are so many majority-African-American neighborhoods here, yet there isn't a single one of those that is predominantly middle-class or upper-middle-class the way there is in most other major U.S. cities. East Liberty has a chance---maybe.
That's because like we've said before....Middle Class and Affluent AA of Pittsburgh move into the majority white suburbs for the better lifestyle...Now if blacks who once lived in the Ghetto and then obtain the ability for a better life stayed in the ghetto to help turn the neighborhood around then maybe a Middle Class Affluent neighborhood could arise..

But I dont see that happening, Pittsburgh is not enclave/segergated city...Middle Class Affluent Blacks have no problem living in majority White suburbs as a matter a fact they prefer it to living in an all black trouble making getto...it provides betting life/safety and education for their children...

Which leads me to again saying, why don't the screams of "Racism" ever come from the Middle Class Affluent Blacks...Why is it only the proverty stricken AA that shout it at the top of their lungs.

Racism exsist everywhere in the US in every major city and Pittsburgh is no exception, even the great Atlanta.. Why do you think as more and more blacks desend on ATL, the more the Whites are fleeing Atlanta.

The Cries of "Racism" is not only exclusive to improvished Blacks in Pittsburgh...Every city (saved for the south) in the US hears the same cries from their improvished AA community, their city is Racist.

Again the term "Racist" used in this form today, is an excuse for why one is living in poverty, its an escape from Personal Responsibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 09:08 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I have never heard "The Mississippi of the North" and I from Pittsburgh and lived there for 21 years.."Most racist outside of Boston" well I guess Pittsburgh isn't the Most Racist then is it that title belong to Boston.

Pittsburgh's not even a top most segregated city....meaning blacks are more inclusive there than many other places, why is that if its the most racist...

Again people that cry "Racism" the most are the majority that dont even know the true meaning or its effects....again if Pittsburgh is racist every city in America can damn near hold that title too...

Wonder how the blacks living in the Ghettos of Atlanta feel about ATL and what social injustice is most to blame for why they're stuck in the ghetto...it can't be racism because ATL is the great black utopia.

Bad example, please try to use a city that you are familiar with.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:15 AM

Boy I wish City-Data had an Ignore feature!

Old 05-27-2011, 09:36 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Boy I wish City-Data had an Ignore feature!
It does. I think it is under "my settings".

Old 05-27-2011, 10:08 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Many black professionals (including myself) left Pittsburgh for better opportunities. Thus answering some of your questions as to why only the poor complain of racism (they are stuck there). An affluent black neighborhood does not need to be totally exclusive but is needed to promote positive black sterotypes. As a military vet I have traveled and seen many cities where there are sucessful black neighborhoods and it gives hope to those who are still struggling to do better. When you see constant police brutality (Gammage/Miles) that go on unpunished against people that look like you, it makes you wonder about exactly what is going on. When you read the disparities in health/education and employment between whites and people that look like you, it gets you upset. When you hear the whites dismiss the probelms that plague your community and than have the audacity to name the city the most livable, you want to riot!

Pittsburgh was once one of the most segregated cities in the north, granted it might not be as bad as it once was but to be able to move to one bad area to another is not much of an improvement. Yes, I do realize that there are some really messed up people that want nothing better than to feed off of the tete of the government but there are far more that don't and just want to work and take care of their families. Unfortunately many of the good are clumped in with the bad.

There are many blacks that have never left the city and therefore think that everywhere is like Pittsburgh. Sadly, if they ever leave and go to a city such as Atlanta or places like Prince George County Md, they run into culture shock. To see very few blacks doing "ok" to seeing very sucessful blacks makes one wonder why this is not happening in their own city, is quite disturbing

Old 05-27-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
It does. I think it is under "my settings".
Thanks for that.....

Old 05-27-2011, 10:24 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Many black professionals (including myself) left Pittsburgh for better opportunities. Thus answering some of your questions as to why only the poor complain of racism (they are stuck there). An affluent black neighborhood does not need to be totally exclusive but is needed to promote positive black sterotypes. As a military vet I have traveled and seen many cities where there are sucessful black neighborhoods and it gives hope to those who are still struggling to do better. When you see constant police brutality (Gammage/Miles) that go on unpunished against people that look like you, it makes you wonder about exactly what is going on. When you read the disparities in health/education and employment between whites and people that look like you, it gets you upset. When you hear the whites dismiss the probelms that plague your community and than have the audacity to name the city the most livable, you want to riot!

Pittsburgh was once one of the most segregated cities in the north, granted it might not be as bad as it once was but to be able to move to one bad area to another is not much of an improvement. Yes, I do realize that there are some really messed up people that want nothing better than to feed off of the tete of the government but there are far more that don't and just want to work and take care of their families. Unfortunately many of the good are clumped in with the bad.

There are many blacks that have never left the city and therefore think that everywhere is like Pittsburgh. Sadly, if they ever leave and go to a city such as Atlanta or places like Prince George County Md, they run into culture shock. To see very few blacks doing "ok" to seeing very sucessful blacks makes one wonder why this is not happening in their own city, is quite disturbing
Sure sounds like what I have been saying all along, hoping Wilkinsburg becomes a positive role model area for the black community to see become a true success. The downtown of that area does look better and much of that is owned by blacks, which is sure nice to see. It could happen there and if it does, I do think you will see a real grass roots shift to a better life for many black people. It needs to come from the black community themselves for it to be a true success IMHO. Hand outs aren't going to work, but some investing is good. I wish Wilkinsburg would be a bigger focus for the media in a positive light. Every time I drive through there I think, this is going to be a really nice place in the near future. I see so many stylish black people walking around there looking sharp. All the cool storefronts in that one or two blocks. I hope it just gets bigger and bigger, but it is a start.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:17 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
When you see constant police brutality (Gammage/Miles) that go on unpunished against people that look like you, it makes you wonder about exactly what is going on. When you read the disparities in health/education and employment between whites and people that look like you, it gets you upset. When you hear the whites dismiss the probelms that plague your community and than have the audacity to name the city the most livable, you want to riot!
Believe me, police brutality is not a black only problem in this country. I could bring up dozens of example of cops getting away with beating whites, mexicans, and teenagers. Take the recent string of "no-knock" SWAT raids across the country where police are killing people and getting off for it.

As for employment, health, and education, that's more a matter of income than race. We're all struggling out here these days, and it sure as hell ain't because one guy is purple and the other is blue.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:00 PM

747 posts, read 1,232,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I've never proclaimed racism doesn't exist in Pittsburgh. I know some here in Polish Hill who crack the joke "What's the border between Poland and Africa? Bigelow Boulevard".

With that being said, however, I'm not a proponent of permitting African-Americans (or any minority group for that matter) blaming all of their misfortunes on prejudice and prejudice alone. I've been bullied quite a bit through the years for being a minority, but I didn't let that hold me back from pursuing my dreams. As I said I had a former colleague who grew up in the slums of Newark, NJ and is now pursuing her Master's Degree. The ability to pull oneself out of the ghetto IS there for those with the drive and determination. I'm not trying to be confrontational, but the rap song lyric implying that one's potential for success in Pittsburgh had to do with their race really struck a nerve with me.

There were not only middle-class but also AFFLUENT African-American neighborhoods in and around Washington, DC, where I moved here from. I'd wager a bet that many of those blacks weren't exactly born with silver spoons in their mouths. Instead of spouting sour grapes or gaming the system they did what many of the whites they malign did---studied hard, worked hard, sacrificed, and reaped the benefits of their labor. I still think it's a shame there are so many majority-African-American neighborhoods here, yet there isn't a single one of those that is predominantly middle-class or upper-middle-class the way there is in most other major U.S. cities. East Liberty has a chance---maybe.
Middle and Upper Middle class blacks have enclaves in the east end of the city and the eastern suburbs. Places like Stanton Heights(city), Penn Hills, Churchill, Wilkins Twnshp, Monroeville (Garden City) Plum, and Murryville have many affluent black residents. I live in the East Hills section of the city which is considered ghetto by most people. Yet it still retained a middle class population. Streets like Fairlawn,Frankella, Remmington, Sunrise, Sonny, Calistogo and Crestline Drives are solidly middle class and 99% black. Crestline Ct. is not totally built out at the moment and 150K-200K dollar homes were built there in the past 5-10 years. Penn Hiils gets a bad rap but it is still houses more middle to upper middle class black families than any other municipality outside of the city. Black income in Penn Hills is on average $10,000.00 more per household than the average white family.

Black Ghettos in the city and beyond went way down hill over the last 10 years. Places like Homewood that have the same housing stock as Squirrel Hill and Shadyside has lost alot of their middle class housholds over the last 10-15 years. It is becoming more and more noticable. Quite a few of the retired senoir citizens that dogded the steel industry fallout have died off rapidly since 2000. Homewood along with all black communites had middle class areas or at least streets. Homewood had or has Bennett and the historic Monticello street homes. You can see the difference. Wilkinsburgh is by far the most diverse municpality in Western PA. Wilkinsburgh has a evenly dispursed white and black population that is poor, working, middle, and upper middle class. for every upper middle class white resident, there is a black one as well. People do not realize that most of Blackridge is in the Wilkinsburgh Municipality.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:56 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
Black Ghettos in the city and beyond went way down hill over the last 10 years.
Some places have definitely continued to decline, but places like East Liberty, Garfield, and the Central Northside have definitely improved over the same period of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh