Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 02:03 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
There was a time when Tessaros was very good. I have been told they have one guy that can still cook a good burger these days. My friend said he doesn't know his name, but he is the "black guy". Hope that is okay to say? Anyway, cooking a burger properly needs to be taught. It isn't as easy as people think. First rule is NEVER press down on the burger. It amazes me how many cooks do that. That just makes them hockey pucks with no juice left. Haven't been to Tessaros in years because a few of my friends that are foodies, said it went down hill. It is a shame, because they did have a great burger with really good sides.
I just don't find that they've gone down in quality. Been going there off and on for years, last time probably 4-5 months ago. I found the burgers to be as good as ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 02:07 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
I just don't find that they've gone down in quality. Been going there off and on for years, last time probably 4-5 months ago. I found the burgers to be as good as ever.
A friend of mine went there and said it was great, I heard it was some of the cooks don't know what they are doing.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:36 PM

106 posts, read 218,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
Maybe we're using the term differently, but there are places that I would consider to be dives that crush some of the newer 'upscale' restaurants. To me being a dive doesn't necessarily mean it's a bar and serves only fish sandwiches.
Hey, I absolutely love dives. One of my favorites is Bella Ria's right above North Hills Football Stadium. One of the best burgers I've had in the city, a phenomenal house dressing and hands down the best goat cheese salad in this half of the commonwealth.

Point was not about the terminology, but about this list. Yeah it is called the 'best restaurants in Pittsburgh,' but it totally means most gourmet/expensive/innovative/hip.

If it were best kept secrets it would be something different, and if it were most popular it would be Cheesecake Factory.

Back to Burgers. I second Winghart's. Really great, and already expanding to a second location in S.Side (per Shipwreck).

Old 05-27-2011, 03:44 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baconlegs View Post
Hey, I absolutely love dives. One of my favorites is Bella Ria's right above North Hills Football Stadium. One of the best burgers I've had in the city, a phenomenal house dressing and hands down the best goat cheese salad in this half of the commonwealth.

Point was not about the terminology, but about this list. Yeah it is called the 'best restaurants in Pittsburgh,' but it totally means most gourmet/expensive/innovative/hip.

If it were best kept secrets it would be something different, and if it were most popular it would be Cheesecake Factory.

Back to Burgers. I second Winghart's. Really great, and already expanding to a second location in S.Side (per Shipwreck).
Yeah, I guess that's true. A "Best Restaurants" list would have not take into account a variety of other factors besides food.

For burgers I like Tessaros. Monterey Pub also makes an excellent burger.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:44 AM

439 posts, read 1,473,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
So basically this list is about hype and popularity contests and not about good food.
Absolutely.

I ate at Bado's cucina once and would never go back.

There portions are embarrassing. They has some wild game sausage on the menu, the couple next to us ordered it ($15). They got 1 link that was as big as a breakfast sausage link. We ordered some raviolis, again it was $15 and there were 3 and they were not that great. The pizza is the only thing on the menu worth getting. The wait staff looked embarrassed when they brought out the single sausage link.

We spent about $80 on dinner without drinks and had to go pick up takeout at sesame inn after leaving. We would have had to spend $200 to be satisfied there.

I think Nikki's Thai Kitchen Should be on that list.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:48 AM

439 posts, read 1,473,931 times
The burgers at Sauce in bridgeville are great

Old 05-28-2011, 10:37 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,084,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baconlegs View Post
...and already expanding to a second location in S.Side (per Shipwreck).

Where at on the Southside?? Sounds awesome!

Old 05-28-2011, 11:35 PM

106 posts, read 218,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
Where at on the Southside?? Sounds awesome!
Not sure exactly but I got the impression it would be around 14th or 15th. Won't have a liquor license (and not sure how gettable that will be), but they are toying with the idea of being open after hours and allowing people to BYOB.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:00 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
They're (Winghart's) probably wishing they didn't bother calling it burger and whiskey bar. That place is jam packed every lunchtime even without it, even at higher than typical lunch pricing. It's even more packed now that it's nice out.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:03 PM

9 posts, read 14,389 times
What kind of ethnic restaurants are there in Pittsburgh? From this list it looks like mostly Italian. I'm interested in visiting with an eye for moving, but good ethnic restaurants are a must. I love Thai and Ethiopian, but not a big fan of Italian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh