U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 07:56 PM

10,745 posts, read 6,680,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
I had no idea he had spent time in Pittsburgh.
Did a little more than spend time, he grew up here and worked here as a kid. Left for college, which of course he came back during summer and such to help the family's dairy. Then he landed in Texas. His childhood was ALL in the burgh. Kind of cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 08:04 PM

20,274 posts, read 17,277,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Unless staying in Pgh had changed his entire life, in which case he might be working behind the cheese counter at PennMac, sweetheart.
I'm guessing he would be a small-time landlord complaining incessantly about his property taxes on some Internet forum.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:03 PM

4,690 posts, read 1,744,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianth View Post
i'm guessing he would be a small-time landlord complaining incessantly about his property taxes on some internet forum.
lol!! :d

Old 05-27-2011, 09:06 PM

3,698 posts, read 3,126,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I'm guessing he would be a small-time landlord complaining incessantly about his property taxes on some Internet forum.
2X lol

Old 05-27-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
I had no idea he had spent time in Pittsburgh. I will be watching the debates closely. If he says "yinz" rather than "y'all" he may get my vote. And if he wins the primary, which is doubtful, i'd vote for him no matter what. Heck, I'd even consider voting for Scott Hartnell for president over Obama. I kind of gagged a little as I typed that.
He's been in Texas for over forty years and really was only in Pittsburgh full time in a year while he did his residency from the time he left for his undergrad.

Edit: One thing Paul said that did tick me off was when a student asked him if they went with his plan to opt out of government services and pay 10% of their income tax if they would still be able to get federal loans for college. His answer was how we worked all summer to make the $300 he needed per semester to afford college. This made me feel Paul was out of touch with 2011 considering there's no way in hell a college student could make all of the money they needed for a semester or year over the summer considering how much significantly higher college tuition has risen over the inflation rate. Some people can't even afford a semester of community college without borrowing money anymore.

Last edited by bradjl2009; 05-27-2011 at 09:17 PM..

Old 05-27-2011, 09:37 PM

4,690 posts, read 1,744,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
there's no way in hell a college student could make all of the money they needed for a semester or year over the summer
No legal way, anyhow.

And sure, if some people here want to draw the prodigal to their breast and claim him as a native son, fine and dandy. Though perhaps, rather than for Pittsburgh to claim the Texan, it would be best if it were the other way around.

1953. Hah.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:44 PM

25,852 posts, read 44,136,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
No love for Santorum as our native-son candidate?
You mean the same nut job who belittles homosexuals and working women? He can stay in Penn Hills as far as I'm concerned. That's close enough to me!

Old 05-27-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
No legal way, anyhow.

And sure, if some people here want to draw the prodigal to their breast and claim him as a native son, fine and dandy. Though perhaps, rather than for Pittsburgh to claim the Texan, it would be best if it were the other way around.

1953. Hah.
I was thinking about adding legally but decided not to hah. If anyone is wondering I was watching Stossel on Fox one night and that's where he said that.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:42 PM

25 posts, read 16,517 times
regards on ron paying for college with only 300 dollars a semester, my thoughts goverment loans and loan gurantees is why college is so expensive, alot of peoples grandparents and parents have had parents who payed there way through college.. now a days its impossible. there is no free market forces keeping college tuitions down, the colleges know they can continue to raise tuitions because they know kids are being borrowed money..

Old 05-27-2011, 10:44 PM

25 posts, read 16,517 times
also i really wanted to keep this about ron being from pittsburgh, but it seemed to get political, i do support ron however i still think its great that there is a viable canidate who grew up in pittsburgh thats running for pres!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh