Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2011, 07:58 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I don't think most people would underestimate Cleveland. Pretty big city in a nice location and it will probably do very well in the next 10 years.
I've always found it interesting that most Pittsburghers seem to quickly identify with, and seem to like Cleveland.

It seems like Cleveland is an invisible city to most of the rest of the country...but Pittsburghers seem to often see the best of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 08:24 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've always found it interesting that most Pittsburghers seem to quickly identify with, and seem to like Cleveland.

It seems like Cleveland is an invisible city to most of the rest of the country...but Pittsburghers seem to often see the best of it.
I graduated high school in the mid 80's and college in the late 80's. At that time I could have gotten a job in business much easier in Cleveland than Pittsburgh. Many people in Pittsburgh in my generation know several people that left Pittsburgh for Cleveland. I was going to be a Steel Broker, but had to relocate if I wanted that job. I opted to stay here and find a way to make it in Pittsburgh. It was hard going around here back then in Pittsburgh. Most people had to relocate and hope to relocate back to Pittsburgh if they wanted to work here. So, there are ties to Cleveland for many around here. Many people have visited Cleveland. The people are nice up that way and the city is fine. They have the lake. There are good parts and bad parts. I think it is a good city to shop and they have good medical for people and BETTER medical for pets. Guess I always related to the city well. Pittsburgh and Cleveland share some things. I just assume Cleveland will soon be booming, but I am not following it very closely.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:43 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
I graduated high school in the mid 80's and college in the late 80's. At that time I could have gotten a job in business much easier in Cleveland than Pittsburgh. Many people in Pittsburgh in my generation know several people that left Pittsburgh for Cleveland. I was going to be a Steel Broker, but had to relocate if I wanted that job. I opted to stay here and find a way to make it in Pittsburgh. It was hard going around here back then in Pittsburgh. Most people had to relocate and hope to relocate back to Pittsburgh if they wanted to work here. So, there are ties to Cleveland for many around here. Many people have visited Cleveland. The people are nice up that way and the city is fine. They have the lake. There are good parts and bad parts. I think it is a good city to shop and they have good medical for people and BETTER medical for pets. Guess I always related to the city well. Pittsburgh and Cleveland share some things. I just assume Cleveland will soon be booming, but I am not following it very closely.
As a MI person who grew up on the Lakes...we're missing mountains...so Pittsburgh always seemed appealing.

I suppose for a Pittsburgh person, the Great Lakes would be missing from the equation, appearing attractive.

When I think of the Great Lakes...I think of harsher 'lake effects' winters. They are nice to look at though.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:09 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,697,532 times
When I think of Great Lakes, I think of the brewery. Great brewery.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:14 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
As a MI person who grew up on the Lakes...we're missing mountains...so Pittsburgh always seemed appealing.

I suppose for a Pittsburgh person, the Great Lakes would be missing from the equation, appearing attractive.

When I think of the Great Lakes...I think of harsher 'lake effects' winters. They are nice to look at though.
I would prefer the winters of Cleveland to Pittsburgh, but there is one big problem. Cleveland gets the snow I love, but there are no places to ski. Most come down to Seven Springs to ski. Kind of sad all the great snow goes to waste.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:24 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Having grown up in Detroit, I know what to do with a Cleveland-style winter: get one of those red snow block molds, and build forts!

OK, maybe there is an age expiration on that plan . . .

Old 06-09-2011, 02:05 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,934,506 times
Quote:
I would prefer the winters of Cleveland to Pittsburgh, but there is one big problem. Cleveland gets the snow I love, but there are no places to ski. Most come down to Seven Springs to ski. Kind of sad all the great snow goes to waste.
Alpine Valley: Downhill Skiing, Snowboarding, and Snow Tubing in Ohio

Ski. Ride. Tube. | Boston Mills Brandywine

Skiing, Big Creek Ski Area Home

I'm sure these places don't compare to some areas and i'm not a skiier, but we do have some places in Ohio. Contrary to popular belief Ohio isn't flat as a pancake. Most people i know go skiing at the places listed above or in New York.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:19 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
I'm sure these places don't compare to some areas and i'm not a skiier, but we do have some places in Ohio. Contrary to popular belief Ohio isn't flat as a pancake. Most people i know go skiing at the places listed above or in New York.
Yeah, but we refer to Ohio people as "flat landers" and you guys call us "ridge runners". You are messing that up.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:23 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,697,532 times
I grew up in Northeast Ohio and had my ski club based out of Boston Mills / Brandywine. Great place to learn to ski, but I'll probably never step foot there again.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:40 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronClark View Post
I grew up in Northeast Ohio and had my ski club based out of Boston Mills / Brandywine. Great place to learn to ski, but I'll probably never step foot there again.
7 Springs does about as much an anyone can do with only 750 feet of run, but with speed lifts on both sides of the mountain, it makes the runs pretty fast. Plus the place is way cool with the Google and the other places like the Bavarian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh