U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 06-22-2011, 11:36 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,117,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
I would not park at a meter for a show but have you ever seen what the people in the car next to you do when you park in a garage? I hope you like little dings and dents because that is what you will get.
Same risk in the lot at the mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-22-2011, 11:40 AM

1,330 posts, read 684,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
Same risk in the lot at the mall.

That's totally different.

Unread 06-22-2011, 11:55 AM

9,867 posts, read 7,707,220 times
I don't have a dog in this fight anyway. I've had a leased space downtown for 20 years in the same damn garage.

More dings happened in the suburbs.

Unread 06-22-2011, 11:57 AM

20,274 posts, read 16,377,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
They do need to do something about payment methods if they're going to charge these rates. $3/hour and having to pay in quarters is stupid.
Absolutely correct--and part of why I really wish the City had done a parking lease (upgrading the payment system was part of the deal).

Unread 06-22-2011, 11:58 AM

1,330 posts, read 684,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Absolutely correct--and part of why I really wish the City had done a parking lease (upgrading the payment system was part of the deal).
I was too concerned over it being for fifty years.

Unread 06-22-2011, 12:00 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,117,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
That's totally different.
I know, silly me.

Unread 06-22-2011, 12:20 PM

20,274 posts, read 16,377,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
I was too concerned over it being for fifty years.
I agree. But they were offering to shorten it--something like 20-30 years would have made sense.

Unread 06-22-2011, 12:29 PM

10,280 posts, read 5,993,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
I live in the city. I tried to go Macy's Downtown last weekend and about s*** on the sidewalk when I saw parking on Smithfield at at meter was $0.25 for 5 minutes...that's FIVE minutes. That's completely asinine. Because I didn't have 12 quarters on hand (WHO carries that much change all the time?) I jumped back in the car and went to Macy's at Ross Park.

When Saks leaves Downtown for Ross Park, don't be surprised, it's a 10 minute drive up 279. When certain things are replicated in the suburbs, I don't have to pay to park, and they're within 10 / 15 minutes, hell, why not go to the suburbs? Pittsburgh is a primarily vehicle driven city, the absurdity of parking does impact where and how we spend our money as city residents or suburbanites.
Yet another reason why people don't use Pittsburgh much for anything but work and maybe shows at places like the Benedum or Byham. Can't blame you for going to Ross Park. Saks will move at some point I am sure. Unless they are the ONLY game in town, which might end up that way. That might work, but I don't know.

Unread 06-22-2011, 12:32 PM

8,133 posts, read 6,140,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Yet another reason why people don't use Pittsburgh much for anything but work and maybe shows at places like the Benedum or Byham. Can't blame you for going to Ross Park. Saks will move at some point I am sure. Unless they are the ONLY game in town, which might end up that way. That might work, but I don't know.
it's a shame since malls aren't particularly friendly to small businesses, often bending over backwards to agree to block competition...the sort of thing that doesn't happen in places like downtown where the RE is often owned by different interests.

Unread 06-22-2011, 12:38 PM

10,280 posts, read 5,993,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
it's a shame since malls aren't particularly friendly to small businesses, often bending over backwards to agree to block competition...the sort of thing that doesn't happen in places like downtown where the RE is often owned by different interests.
I hate malls, but if you need to shop it is about the only way to go. When I was younger it was a big deal to go to that great Kaufmann's downtown. Also, the Hornes was nice. Downtown has become more about office space and daylight activities. Everyone goes to malls and other smaller surrounding areas for nighttime activities. Now they are charging .25 per 5 minutes? I didn't think it was going to be that bad. Wow, and that is till 10PM. What a friendly city. Of course someone low IQ type will say, but other cities are more money to park or whatever. Yeah, other cities have a thriving nightlife too. Pittsburgh doesn't. Government should be encouraging city activity and not making it worse. I am starting another thread on the city and another loss for them in October. Would post it here, but it deserves its own thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh