U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-01-2011, 12:28 PM

782 posts, read 510,898 times

Advertisements

City paving program violates council rule

So, city council wants to get into the street paving bidness....

Equal distribution of paving money based solely on the district is assinine.

It should be based solely on the street condition and use.

Or, to make things more "fair," how about distributing paving funds based solely on the amount of money contributed to the city coffers by said district. Now that would be a "fair" distribution of paving funds.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 12:35 PM

4,734 posts, read 3,123,664 times
This is the kind of thing that is the fruit of switching to city council by districts.

Didn't get this kind of idiocy when all of the councilpeople were elected at large.

The city is sufficient small enough that we should be able to be represented by the whole council, who should have the whole city's wellbeing in mind.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:25 PM

4,690 posts, read 2,022,634 times
Stupid, and I'm surprised the article didn't mention Ricky Burgess, whose issue this is.

But there's always a silver lining - unlike trash cans, no one can steal the asphalt.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:27 PM

1,437 posts, read 1,486,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfield mania View Post
Or, to make things more "fair," how about distributing paving funds based solely on the amount of money contributed to the city coffers by said district. Now that would be a "fair" distribution of paving funds.
Yes, damn those poor people who think they deserve access to roads that won't destroy their vehicles that they can't afford to fix or replace should something damage them!

Old 06-01-2011, 03:33 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,261,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
This is the kind of thing that is the fruit of switching to city council by districts.

Didn't get this kind of idiocy when all of the councilpeople were elected at large.

The city is sufficient small enough that we should be able to be represented by the whole council, who should have the whole city's wellbeing in mind.
Areas like the West End would get even less attention than they do now if we had a fully at-large city council.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:10 PM

4,734 posts, read 3,123,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Areas like the West End would get even less attention than they do now if we had a fully at-large city council.

I got to disagree with that, the western sectors of the city have received major capital improvements over the years, even before council went to district elections.

A lot of new stuff up in Greentree City and Westwood, with new parks and fire stations.

I think its more of a critical point to attract fire and police personnel to live in an area to attract the city's attention than the representation of council.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:01 PM

26,551 posts, read 47,232,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Stupid, and I'm surprised the article didn't mention Ricky Burgess, whose issue this is.
Why am I not surprised Ricky Burgess is involved?

Old 06-02-2011, 07:32 AM

1,066 posts, read 1,063,985 times
The West End neighborhoods tend to get overlooked in many aspects but I can't really complain about road paving. Roads tend to get patched and fixed as needed, even if it takes numerous complaints (par for the course anywhere). In the last few years we've seen both West Carson and Chartiers Ave undergo major maintenance. My alley is cratered like the surface of the moon but whose isn't?

A lot of our roads are brick which require little/no maintenance, even if they do develop some rolls and dips (which act as nice speed bumps). Its a shame most of these brick streets were paved over long ago.

Note: If the maintenance funds were doled out based on tax revenue per district, what would happen to these poorer areas? Would we be looking at dirt/gravel roads in 40-50 years where we would all need to purchase Jeeps to get in and out of our neighborhoods? We've got to maintain these neighborhoods as best as we can to hopefully improve the neighborhoods long-term and grow the tax base.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:59 AM

3,380 posts, read 3,120,501 times
I heard that Alan Hertzberg brought a lot dollars to the West End and he still may have some say in where dollars go in that area.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:55 AM

18,717 posts, read 15,638,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post

But there's always a silver lining - unlike trash cans, no one can steal the asphalt.
LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh