Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 11:30 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,716 times

Advertisements

I agree with all the other posters here who say tires are Priority #1 for getting around in snow. After all, even having 4WD does nothing unless you have traction which is what a good set of tires will give you.
#2 priority is having a good set of brakes. Again , 4WD does nothing for improved braking ability so it goes hand in hand with having good traction ability.
#3 priority GO SLOW. Everyone else ( for the most part) drives slow in PA. People complain about it until they drive here enough to see the amount of hills, curves and narrow streets and only then do they appreciate why drivers here are generally slower than they are in other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 12:55 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
So again, I don't winter tires are necessary, but to suggest they wouldn't be useful for more than 4-5 days a year is highly misleading.
You have to keep in mind the charts you posted are snowfall days. That has very little to do with snowfall during commutes. There are years where there is a couple of days of snow that may interfere with a commute to work. It is a crap shoot, but Pittsburgh gets very little snow. If you have front wheel drive and all weather tires you are in the majority. I of course have an AWD European Sports Sedan that is getting 38mpg on this current tank full.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:06 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,529 times
Don't know where you guys live, but I live on a hill. Any "wintery mix" or snowfall and you are screwed. Probably doesn't help that the city never plows either. My all season tires were bald in a year due to the struggle of attempting to get into my driveway.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:21 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Don't know where you guys live, but I live on a hill. Any "wintery mix" or snowfall and you are screwed. Probably doesn't help that the city never plows either. My all season tires were bald in a year due to the struggle of attempting to get into my driveway.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I can literally count on one hand the number of times a plow has been on my road for the three Winters I've been here, and one of those times was SEVEN DAYS after the big snowfall.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:23 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times
Quote:
Well you being a teen, I suspect you need a few more driving lessons. Sorry, I just had to.

Fox Chapel roads are always clear and dry. I will admit, the city doesn't do that great of a job. Oakmont is about the worst I have ever seen though.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:26 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,010,585 times
Quote:
Yeah, I've always lived in parts of Pittsburgh which are relatively level and where the plowing has generally been OK. I might have contemplated a switch from all-seasons sooner if that hadn't been the case.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:27 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,010,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Well you being a teen, I suspect you need a few more driving lessons. Sorry, I just had to.
I've always assumed that was a reference to this guy:

Carl Brutananadilewski - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-02-2011, 01:31 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,564 times
Quote:
Yeah, I've always lived in parts of Pittsburgh which are relatively level and where the plowing has generally been OK. I might have contemplated a switch from all-seasons sooner if that hadn't been the case.
They did a better job treating the roads where I used to live in Nowheresville Ohio than they do in the middle of our Fair City.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:15 PM

264 posts, read 492,398 times
Get your snow shovels and rock salt before the first significant snowfall..that kind of stuff tends to sell out quickly.

Also, don't panic when the local news shows lines of people stocking up on "essentials" before the big storm. 9 times out of 10 the forecast is wrong and we only get a few inches, and even during blizzards you won't be homebound for more than a day or two, so unless your house is completely devoid of food, you'll survive.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:27 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,529 times
Quote:
I've always assumed that was a reference to this guy:

Carl Brutananadilewski - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yeah how ya doin there mista food monsta?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh