U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 03:58 PM
gg gg started this thread

11,659 posts, read 7,989,512 times

Advertisements

I am lost about how the Hill District can ask for anything from the Penguins? Are they not happy that the Pen's play right there? Isn't it enough? They want more? I don't get it.

Relations between Penguins, Hill residents growing icy - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 04:12 PM

9,734 posts, read 8,757,559 times
Because people in the Hill District are owed something...whatever it is.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:22 PM

20,274 posts, read 18,867,263 times
The Penguins aren't paying anything close to the full cost of building Consol Arena in terms of their rent, even noting it has other sources of revenue. The difference is being made up with public subsidies. Similarly, the Penguins got a sweet deal on development rights to the former Civic Arena site. In exchange, among many other things, the Penguins promised to contribute back to the public in the form of development assistance for the Hill.

That doesn't mean the arguments by this particular person are meritorious. But that, in a nutshell, is why the Penguins "owe" assistance to the Hill: that was one of the promises they made in exchange for a variety of public subsidies.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:01 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,971,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I am lost about how the Hill District can ask for anything from the Penguins? Are they not happy that the Pen's play right there? Isn't it enough? They want more? I don't get it.

Relations between Penguins, Hill residents growing icy - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Hey, if there are handouts to be had then make sure you always have your hand out and waiting...

Old 06-02-2011, 05:04 PM
gg gg started this thread

11,659 posts, read 7,989,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Hey, if there are handouts to be had then make sure you always have your hand out and waiting...
Just seems most places would be thrilled to have the Penguins play right there with some sort of income going on. It isn't like the Hill has anything going on other than a huge police presence in Terrance Projects. Goodness, one would think there would be a thank you for being here. We need you here.

Guess I am missing something.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:15 PM

4,733 posts, read 3,118,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The Penguins aren't paying anything close to the full cost of building Consol Arena in terms of their rent, even noting it has other sources of revenue.

I'm sure that's true, but the Consol is an asset to the community not a point of negativity.

Any other considerations that the Penguin Hockey organization and City Hall should have been negotiated before the project is undertaken. City Hall are supposed to be the representatives of the people in this kind of matter, I don't see why the Penguin brass even bothers giving unelected neighborhood busybodies the time of day particularly after the project is already completed. \

I'm sure that Mr. Redwood has nothing but the best interests of his district at heart. But I don't see what he can offer the Penguins in exchange in any business dealing.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:38 PM

164 posts, read 240,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The Penguins aren't paying anything close to the full cost of building Consol Arena in terms of their rent, even noting it has other sources of revenue. The difference is being made up with public subsidies. Similarly, the Penguins got a sweet deal on development rights to the former Civic Arena site. In exchange, among many other things, the Penguins promised to contribute back to the public in the form of development assistance for the Hill.

That doesn't mean the arguments by this particular person are meritorious. But that, in a nutshell, is why the Penguins "owe" assistance to the Hill: that was one of the promises they made in exchange for a variety of public subsidies.
link.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:56 PM

965 posts, read 1,643,056 times
Holy Crap!!!

The Pens are getting a BILLION dollars of our tax money!!!

The hell with the Hill District. I want a cut of the profits. They should just mail me a check directly

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Guess I am missing something.
Why yes. Yes you are. And that would be the BILLION dollar welfare program the Pens receive

Old 06-02-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I'm sure that's true, but the Consol is an asset to the community not a point of negativity. Any other considerations that the Penguin Hockey organization and City Hall should have been negotiated before the project is undertaken.
I don't really understand what the spat was about just from reading the article. But one of the allegations was that the TGI Friday's didn't comply with some of the hiring rules that were in fact negotiated in advance (note I have no idea if that is true).

Old 06-02-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBall View Post
link.
Are you asking me for a link?

I don't know if there is a single good link that explains all the many dealings behind the financing of Consol and redevelopment agreement for the Lower Hill--I've been reading about it for years in many different places.

But here is one helpful article about Consol financing:

Consol Energy Center: Charged up, ready to go

It is complex, but the upshot is that the Penguins are likely more than covering their lease payments with the various naming rights and corporate partnerships they have sold, and that is before considering they get to keep the net revenue on all events. Meanwhile, the vast bulk of the construction costs are being paid by the public (in a variety of forms--I include the Rivers payment in this category because that was a condition of getting the state gambling license).

So basically, the public built the Penguins a giant cash cow, but that was part of the price of keeping them in Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh