U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 06-03-2011, 09:30 AM

3,280 posts, read 1,933,324 times
Even if there isn't a direct excise tax on natural gas, the state still collect income tax from the wages of the workers involved in it, and isn't royalty income taxable by the state as well? I wouldn't know directly as I don't have that kind of cash coming in.

I am certain that the companies involved are going to be able to deal more and more efficiently with the water problems and other points of negativity that this fracking is involved as time goes on.

Although I think they could have picked a better term other than "fracking" for it, the term sounds like something that someone should have a knee jerk reaction against.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-03-2011, 09:44 AM

20,274 posts, read 16,236,844 times
As with health care, the abnormally high growth rate in higher education may slow, but that is not the same thing as an actual contraction.

Unread 06-03-2011, 09:53 AM

1,661 posts, read 1,041,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Although I think they could have picked a better term other than "fracking" for it, the term sounds like something that someone should have a knee jerk reaction against.
Ha, engineers and scientists are great for this type of thing. Nuclear engineers realized years after the fact that perhaps "SCRAM" was not the best choice of words to describe the act of shutting down a reactor. Most people tend to associate "SCRAM" with "Let's get the F out here!" But yeah, usually the euphemisms are overly cushy anyways. Anyhoo...

Unread 06-03-2011, 09:54 AM

8,040 posts, read 6,033,214 times
Drilling generates 48,000 jobs - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Unread 06-03-2011, 09:58 AM

20,274 posts, read 16,236,844 times
Eventually natural gas in Western PA may also lead to more employment in downstream industries (like petrochemicals).

Unread 06-03-2011, 10:06 AM

2,406 posts, read 1,043,655 times
Most YouTube comments are better written than that "article."

Unread 06-03-2011, 10:22 AM

3,797 posts, read 2,345,430 times
It would really suck if Pittsburgh shed the reputation of "polluted air steel town" to gain the reputation of "polluted water frack town".

Unread 06-03-2011, 11:11 AM

8,754 posts, read 6,746,854 times
That stupid article said that Pittsburgh's economy "relies" on health care spending, as if the economy would collapse without it. Jeez, I had no idea that UPMC was the only employer in town. Apparently 84 Lumber, American Eagle Outfitters, Bayer, BNY Mellon, Bruster's Ice Cream, Dick's Sporting Goods, Federated Investors, FedEx Ground, Fox's Pizza Den, Giant Eagle, GlaxoSmithKline, Google, Heinz, Intel, Lanxess, Nova Chemicals, Plextronics, PNC, PPG, rue21, U.S. Steel and Westinghouse Electric don't employ anybody in Pittsburgh, and apparently there are no small businesses in Pittsburgh either. Either that, or they all get health care funds too.

Face it; if UPMC ceased to exist tomorrow, it'd have about the same effect that the departure of US Airways had: a temporary lull, which, coincidentally, is exactly what I got from that article. Yeah, Pittsburgh has "eds and meds," but it damn sure ain't the only thing it has, and to pretend it is is ignorant.

Unread 06-03-2011, 12:13 PM

18,391 posts, read 12,486,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Most YouTube comments are better written than that "article."
Oooh burn!

Unread 06-03-2011, 05:20 PM

354 posts, read 260,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Fracking is a new industrial procedure, and accidents are going to happen.

Steamboat and train accident, steel mill accidents, all of those things were a lot more prevalent when those technologies came on line.

I suppose that there will be some pressure to abandon natural gas drilling when the inevitable accidents happen.

But that wouldn't be the wise response if we're going to have progress. I would hope they would work hard to make gas exploration and drilling as safe as possible instead of just abandoning the idea.
Today though people tend to be to sensitive and want to save every little ant running through the ground. Back in those days people did what was best for this country and their families... by working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh