Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 07:17 AM

44 posts, read 285,753 times

Advertisements

Apologies in advance for yet another relo question on the board, but I've done some searching and don't see anything on this specific theme. Here goes:

My husband will commute to Coraopolis for work. I will work from home. We're relocating from Houston with a 2 and a 4 year old. We're moving in August of this year. We're actually headed up next weekend to just try to get a sense of the area (and TIPS on what to do/where to go greatly appreciated)

Here's the wish list:

- Within 20-30 minutes of Coraopolis so my husband can get home quickly!
- Great school district (I've seen the post on school rankings which is great, but when looking at a map I can't tell what's really close).
- Top budget of $550K, but would LOVE to be under $400.
- Looking for a larger home (say 4 -5 bedrooms, 3 car garage) since we expect family to be with us continuously. I think every house has a basement so I assume this is standard (WAHOO!!)
- Some trees and a nice yard (In Houston we've lived more 'in town' so a yard would be a very nice thing!)
- Not opposed to the Mcmansion though not seeking it exclusively. Again, in Houston we had a house built in the 1930's and our 'new' house was built in 1950. Both were full scale remodels that we did and that's where our hearts are. That being said, we're reluctant to do that this time since we'll be new to town and with kiddos etc. etc.
- Would love some shopping in the area

Here's the challenges:
- I've been all over the net trying to check out house and am realizing that there isn't a HAR.com equivalent (all of our Houston listings are in one website)
-With all of the townships and counties etc I can't tell if I am really looking at all of the houses in a specific area. We'll get a real estate agent through my husband's relo package but I am of course hoping to get some ideas initially and also hear from people that are local and don't have to sugarcoat...

Thanks in advance for your experienced opinions!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 07:23 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,759 times
A few options:

If you'd like an older home in an established community, I'd suggest somewhere along the north shore of the Ohio River. Sewickley would be be my first suggestion. It is a great small town with high quality schools and a very short commute to Coraopolis. You could also look at a place within the Avonworth school district in the towns of Ben Avon or Emsworth. The commute would be longer but probably still within 15 minutes.

If looking for a newer home and/or a larger lot, I'd suggest somewhere in Moon Township. I can't speak for the school district but it is a nice area and would again be a very easy commute.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:32 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
I would start your search in Sewickley.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:33 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
The West Allegheny School District is very large geographically, but mostly within 20 minutes of Coraopolis.

Lots of new construction in recent years out that way in Findlay and North Fayette townships.

$400k is certainly enough to get the large home with a nice lot in those areas.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:41 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Peter's Township.

Don't overbuy! 400k can buy a HUGE house in Pittsburgh. You need to understand our property tax structure and utilitie costs before you set a housing budget.

Instead, I recommend buying a house based on square footage.

People relocating here from other regions often spend WAY TOO MUCH on housing---buying bigger than they owned eleswhere---without taking into consideration additional costs associated with cheaper housing. That might not be a problem coming from Houston, since Houston housing is relatively cheap too, but just make sure you understand our property tax structure and utility costs too.

Property tax on a 400k house is going to be well over 10k per year in Allegheny County.

That's why I'm recommending Peter's Township. It's in Washington County. Tax on a 400k house will be under 10k.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:46 AM

I'm not sure if one could commute from Peters to Coraopolis in 30 minutes.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:47 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,573,359 times
Sewickley, Wexford (most specifically Franklin Park), and Moon are where I'd start. Mt Lebanon and Upper St. Clair will push close to the 30 minute mark but are good options too. The relationship (or lack thereof) of naming/boundaries/school districts/zip codes is a little confusing for a variety of reasons and you probably need an agent to help sort through this.

Price range should be good for what you are looking for, make sure you account for property taxes in that budget though.

Sewickley and Mt. Lebo will be older neighborhoods with some charm and character and walkable business districts. The others are more of your standard (nice) American suburb.

Most of the real estate sites will give you all the area MLS listings, not just their company's. Try pittsburghmoves.com (Coldwell Banker) or Howard Hanna. Trulia and Zillow are good as well.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:50 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,573,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
I'm not sure if one could commute from Peters to Coraopolis in 30 minutes.
It would be about 40-45 minutes. Otherwise, its a good suggestion.

Also, 400k doesn't buy quite as much as some seem to think. But its true you may not need to spend that much to get what you are looking for.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:52 AM

Also should throw the South Fayette school district out there. It would fall within a 30 minute commute up 79 and is another top school district in our region.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:55 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Well, we should try to provide options outside of Allegheny County to help with the tax issue.

Pennsylvania property taxes ae a big deal for people coming from other areas of the country.

Is there anything as good as Peters that's 10 to 15 minutes closer?

I personally would drive an extra 10 minutes to be in the right place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh