Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 06:44 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times

Advertisements

Yeah, dude, the yellow brick looks fine with the white, if you happen to like yellow brick.

Personally, I find yellow brick hideous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 07:09 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
It's better than insul-brick or aluminum siding.

I hated the yellow brick, too, at first. Then I realized the street is paved with the same color brick. It has a neat look in person, like the yellow brick road. It has grown on me!

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 06-09-2011 at 07:18 PM..

Old 06-09-2011, 07:13 PM

Actually, I'd rather have aluminum siding in good condition. Not on that style house though, that would look stupid. But it's perfectly normal on a 1980s house like mine.

Brick is ideal really, but geez I'd have to think long and hard before choosing one out of that color brick. I just can't get over it. My house is white.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:26 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times

Blechh. This is what I can't stand. Victorians covered in aluminum or vinyl siding and all the trim removed, and those hideous metal porches. Unfortunately, they are all over Pittsburgh, even in nice neighborhoods like Shadyside and Highland Park! No wonder many people don't want old houses...

Old 06-09-2011, 07:31 PM

Oh the humanity! The porch roof with those little vertical pieces! WTF? And at the main roof. Who decided that was a good idea?

Old 06-09-2011, 07:38 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post

It depends on the color of the brick, siding, or other elements, too. Some houses look great with white windows. I think mine looks pretty good with the white windows and door. The only thing I hate is the board over the transom on the original picture window. The covered transom over the door doesn't bother me too much. I'm sure it would look better with custom wood windows and doors, but the value of the home wouldn't support that kind of investment. I've already spent more than it's worth, and it's not done. lol
Now there is a situation that you did very well. Row home with yellow brick. You made it look clean and nice. I think you did a good job. You can't really paint the brick an earth tone, because it is a row home. I think you did well for that situation. Looks clean. Nice job.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:03 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
I like less common colors of brick, and I agree the windows and door look very crisp and appropriate. Nice job!

Old 06-10-2011, 05:58 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,753 times
Quote:

It depends on the color of the brick, siding, or other elements, too. Some houses look great with white windows. I think mine looks pretty good with the white windows and door. The only thing I hate is the board over the transom on the original picture window. The covered transom over the door doesn't bother me too much. I'm sure it would look better with custom wood windows and doors, but the value of the home wouldn't support that kind of investment. I've already spent more than it's worth, and it's not done. lol
Cute house, thanks for sharing! the brick is a statement of the time the house was built. i've heard that there is a special place in hell for people who paint brick. i will be in that special place since i painted my 100 year old woodwork.

look at the bright side, your house hardly has any windows. a normal bungalow like mine has 25+ someday you'll be able to get exactly what you want.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:15 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times
Painting brick is always an option. When I lived in Aspinwall an old victorian with red brick was painted gray and it looks awesome. It depends on the condition of the brick to begin with. Some brick just doesn't age well. I think smooth brick ages better than rough brick.

We have rough brick on our house now. It doesn't look as nice as the other house in our neighborhood that were built with smooth bricks or used bricks. We could always paint it down the road but there is no going back.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:09 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
I love them, too, on houses from the 1950s. But on my 1909 row-house it was just plain ugly. LOL. It also had one of those awful aluminum screen doors.
Was it in good enough condition to resell? Do you have a rehab place like that around that would take it? I just hate seeing these things go into landfill....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh