Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2014, 12:22 PM

510 posts, read 900,726 times

Advertisements

I also have had shingles. I was quite young--only 20--and under a termendous amount of stress. I was misdiagnosed at first and I honestly thought I must have something fatal. It is really uncomfortable and unpleasant. I hope this is a better year, wpipkins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 01:44 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,074,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
well, i dont know yinz, but i am sorry for your plight, since i also had had a several year rut (for other than health reasons) and decline in all my savings whither away. im ecstatic for you finding a place of belonging for yourself outside the corporate world, if that is where you feel you should be!
good luck with your new position.

(i never really knew what shingles were - i thought that was a tightness in the calves...)
don't do a google image search!
It's a rash that you can get if you have had chicken pox. There is a vaccine, but it is not very effective, and only recommended to those over 60.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:51 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,622,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
In my case, i had to remove all the non essential things. 2012 to 2013 was a whirlwind for me. Life caught up with me and i was struck down with the shingles virus. The commercials cannot express the horror of shingles. It was awful. Im 6'3" and 176lbs. I lost 14lbs in eight days. I watched the entire boston bombing tragedy unfold before my ears. I was too weak to sit up in bed and watch. Upon my return to work which was approximately five weeks, i finished out a large project that I managed for 18 months. I was shockingly thin and very weak. The walk from Penn Station down Grant Street drained me. Soon after I along with 80 IT associates were layed off... I was sad for no more than ten minutes. I put in 17 years of hard work and in the end it did not matter. Ive been Mr mom since May and really focused on my marriage, children and above all, myself. My Dr told me that stress will bring out the shingles virus more than anything including a compromised immune system. I never noticed how thin i was stretched. I put off all volunteering and church activites for 1 year and ive never felt better. I wake up in the morning get my wife and kids off and wow! Ive decided not to return to the corporate world.. I will start a new position with a non profit in March....
Sounds like you have made excellent decisions on the best way to live your life going forward. I had a truly awful stretch of more than five years of unrelenting awfulness. Just about every financial and emotional disaster you could imagine happened to me. Luckily, my health held up throughout as I couldn't get any health insurance during most of those years. I won't go into detail, but there were two separate times when I had two lawyers. You do not want to be in a situation where you need two lawyers, take my word for it. Through good luck, good lawyers, and perseverance I have come out the other side quite well and am living the life I could only imagine during those hellish years. I wish you the same. Please keep us posted on how things are unfolding for you.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:08 PM

18,717 posts, read 30,964,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
Sounds like you have made excellent decisions on the best way to live your life going forward. I had a truly awful stretch of more than five years of unrelenting awfulness. Just about every financial and emotional disaster you could imagine happened to me. Luckily, my health held up throughout as I couldn't get any health insurance during most of those years. I won't go into detail, but there were two separate times when I had two lawyers. You do not want to be in a situation where you need two lawyers, take my word for it. Through good luck, good lawyers, and perseverance I have come out the other side quite well and am living the life I could only imagine during those hellish years. I wish you the same. Please keep us posted on how things are unfolding for you.
Excellent post. A very similar thing happened to me a while back. When it rains it can really pour--and the rain seemed to last 2-3 years. But (almost to my surprise) I made it through. I remember that while I was going through that stretch people would try to say inspirational things and all that did was make me gag. In fact I often wanted to see very bad things happen to those people. But after I got through that stretch I realized the things they said actually did make some sense, at least more sense than I could realize at the time. I'm with Jules--hang in there, and I hope you keep posting.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:30 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times
Quote:
In my case, i had to remove all the non essential things. 2012 to 2013 was a whirlwind for me. Life caught up with me and i was struck down with the shingles virus. The commercials cannot express the horror of shingles. It was awful. Im 6'3" and 176lbs. I lost 14lbs in eight days. I watched the entire boston bombing tragedy unfold before my ears. I was too weak to sit up in bed and watch. Upon my return to work which was approximately five weeks, i finished out a large project that I managed for 18 months. I was shockingly thin and very weak. The walk from Penn Station down Grant Street drained me. Soon after I along with 80 IT associates were layed off... I was sad for no more than ten minutes. I put in 17 years of hard work and in the end it did not matter. Ive been Mr mom since May and really focused on my marriage, children and above all, myself. My Dr told me that stress will bring out the shingles virus more than anything including a compromised immune system. I never noticed how thin i was stretched. I put off all volunteering and church activites for 1 year and ive never felt better. I wake up in the morning get my wife and kids off and wow! Ive decided not to return to the corporate world.. I will start a new position with a non profit in March....
I'm very glad you returned to provide us with an update, as I really missed your excellent insight and contributions to this forum. I'm very sorry to hear of your recent adversities. Similar to you, Caladium, and Goodjules I also endured a bout of mishaps, depression, adversity, illness, etc. for a couple of years not long ago, and it really can be debilitating. I wish you nothing but the best of luck in your future professional endeavors as well! Working with a non-profit can be so enriching and so rewarding.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:52 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,543,247 times
Quote:
In my case, i had to remove all the non essential things. 2012 to 2013 was a whirlwind for me. Life caught up with me and i was struck down with the shingles virus. ....
Glad to see you check back in. I'm sorry you had such a rough patch there but it sounds like things are getting better.

You know, I had shingles about 10 years ago myself. I would have been about 33 or 34 maybe. Honestly, I must have gotten an easy case judging by what you and the others have written. Either that or my memory is bad because I don't remember it with horror although it certainly was unpleasant for maybe a few weeks? I did eventually scare up a way to visit the doctor in those days before urgent care and I didn't have one ready to see, and this seemed to be lingering and I wanted to confirm that the suspicion was correct. But luckily, a doctor agreed to see me on short notice, on a Saturday no less. (Oddly enough, I ran across the same doctor a couple weeks ago, now working at MedExpress.)

I do hear that it's fairly unlikely to have a repeat case. What I don't remember is if the youngsters who now routinely get vaccinated against chicken pox are subject to this same possibility or not.

I feel like I am awaiting my own layoff at any time, we'll see. Good to hear you bounced back well from yours.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:08 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
I totally need to remember to get the shingles vaccine.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:06 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,446,660 times
I remember Mr.Pipkins well, we traded posts when I discovered he was from the Basketball Pipkins Family.

As to shingles, the last 2 years my doctor has written a prescription to get the vaccine shot. I have been hesitant since I have read a ton of stories stating that people got shingles AFTER getting the shot. My wife is a nurse and is on the fence with this one. Sucks to get old.

Good Luck, Mr P.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:24 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
I just got my shingles vaccine. DH had it with no problems.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:08 PM

4,176 posts, read 2,917,990 times
Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh