Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:33 AM

280 posts, read 1,135,611 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be attending a conference in Pittsburgh soon and I was looking for suggestions of places to eat in the area. I'll be staying at the Courtyard downtown. I found a few menus on line for places like Six Penn Kitchen and Sonoma Grille, but I have no idea if they are any good.

Also, is the downtown area safe for walking around at night, say walking back from dinner by myself at 10pm? I might be interesed in waling over to McCormick and Schmicks one night but not if it's not a good place for walking alone at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 09:41 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Wasn't impressed with Sonoma Grille. Six Penn is good, but not if you are on a budget. If you like a huge beer selection and pretty good food Sharp Edge is on Penn as well. It is very safe to walk around downtown at 10PM.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:06 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
It is safe to walk around (of course, exercise normal urban-area precautions).

I like both of those places, but there are many others to consider. Near that location I also like Tonic and The Sharp Edge. Nine on Nine is very nice if you are looking for something upscale, and the same people have just opened a more casual "gastropub" called Meat and Potatoes which is getting excellent reviews (I hope to try it personally very soon). You could also look at a couple places in the near Strip District, like Eleven and Lidia's.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:28 AM

280 posts, read 1,135,611 times
Thanks for the tips. I'm generally familiar with Pittsburgh, having been there a few times, just not downtown and not without a car.

How's the walk from the convention center to the Strip, say to Wholey's or Primanti Brothers?

Old 06-09-2011, 10:40 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovinOutWest View Post
Thanks for the tips. I'm generally familiar with Pittsburgh, having been there a few times, just not downtown and not without a car.

How's the walk from the convention center to the Strip, say to Wholey's or Primanti Brothers?
Easy walk. No issues. If you like Sushi, you can stop by Sushi Kim. He has some pretty good Korean food as well. Walking up Penn Ave is a little better than Smallman because the sidewalks go all the way.

If you want a great cheesesteak, go to Peppi's. It is just past Wholly's entrance. Skip Mancinni's. It has gone way down hill.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:00 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
I liked my one visit to Sonoma Grille actually but that's been probably 3-4 years ago? Hm.

Six Penn is good. Try the lamb bolognese. Hard to order anything else. The rooftop bar is an interesting spot to check out.

If you're going down to the Strip in addition to the other places mentioned I like Kaya, space is more casual but food is decent and good happy hour. If you really must do Primanti's, well, yeah, go to that one for the "ambience" of the original. It's for the experience, though, not the food so much. So I wouldn't bother going to the closer location in Market Square.

There's a diner around the corner on Liberty Ave now, what's the name of that place? If you want breakfast that might be a good place to go. Hear good things, haven't been. Can't think of the name. It's a restaurant that moved from over in Uptown area because Duquesne is demolishing a building there.

Try Penn Avenue Fish Co perhaps, instead of McCormick's. Nothing wrong with M&S I suppose, usually, but you can do that anywhere. Penn Ave Fish on Forbes downtown has dinner from Wed-Fri. It's BYOB though, so if you want wine or such you'd have to grab a bottle. (The better state store downtown is on Smithfield in the base of One Oxford Center, but there's another smaller one closer to the hotel.) Open for lunch too and really really good interesting fish items and sushi, perhaps best in town. Also Pittsburgh Fish Market, not sure how that is, somehow I've never ended up eating there. But this is around the corner from your hotel. And I'm not sure what you want at Wholey's, but if you're looking for traditional fried fish sandwich, go instead to Original Oyster House in Market Square. Shorter walk, one of oldest bars in town and Market Square is a really great space now. Also consider Winghart's while you're over there. Awesome burgers or pizza, yes, both are good! Don't think they're open late though, at least not yet.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovinOutWest View Post
Doable in terms of distance, but there is kind of a gap next to Downtown that may seem a little desolate late at night. Personally, I'd do it, but others may find it uncomfortable.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Try Penn Avenue Fish Co perhaps, instead of McCormick's. Nothing wrong with M&S I suppose, usually, but you can do that anywhere. Penn Ave Fish on Forbes downtown has dinner from Wed-Fri. It's BYOB though, so if you want wine or such you'd have to grab a bottle. (The better state store downtown is on Smithfield in the base of One Oxford Center, but there's another smaller one closer to the hotel.) Open for lunch too and really really good interesting fish items and sushi, perhaps best in town. Also Pittsburgh Fish Market, not sure how that is, somehow I've never ended up eating there. But this is around the corner from your hotel. And I'm not sure what you want at Wholey's, but if you're looking for traditional fried fish sandwich, go instead to Original Oyster House in Market Square. Shorter walk, one of oldest bars in town and Market Square is a really great space now. Also consider Winghart's while you're over there. Awesome burgers or pizza, yes, both are good! Don't think they're open late though, at least not yet.
Great advice, here. Basically, I think you can find as good or better options in Downtown as in the farther parts of the Strip.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:54 AM
gg

Also in the Strip is Rolands. It is kind of cool to sit outside there and they have a raw bar. Guess it all depends what you are looking for. The walk from downtown to the Strip is quite easy. I always feel the Strip on Penn sort of starts at Lotus, if you are looking at google maps and want to gauge the boring part of the walk.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:25 PM

165 posts, read 262,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
There's a diner around the corner on Liberty Ave now, what's the name of that place? If you want breakfast that might be a good place to go. Hear good things, haven't been. Can't think of the name. It's a restaurant that moved from over in Uptown area because Duquesne is demolishing a building there.
You're thinking of Hanlon's. I've only eaten breakfast at their new location but it was great. Good coffee, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh